• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

Peff

Manor%203.jpg

I think this one wasn't in the IGN batch? This should be Lonesome Manor, we'll see what the press has to say about it.

I dunno, I agree those shots look poor, but they don't accurately represent how it'll look on a TV anyway. Once you factor in the lower resolution, and the natural blurring you get when you run your Wii through a TV, you'll probably end up with visuals closer to this:

11i0rbl.jpg

Remember, those Mario Galaxy screenshots looked HORRIBLY jaggy and ugly, but once it was running on an actual machine on an actual TV it looked great, despite being in SD.

Of course, the art direction seems to leave something to be desired. I'm not sure why, but Mickey doesn't seem to have any charm in these shots.

But I'm holding out hope they can do good work with this. Sure, it'll never be a looker like, say, Ratchet and Clank Future, but it could still be a fantastic game.

joker27

Neo Member
man, i came in expecting everyone to be loving the pics. sucks they wasted a good opportunity, the screens look like trash. i'll hold off until some vids are released

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
God, Wind Waker is so awesome to look at. Now there's a perfect example of style more than making up for lack of power. Everything is just so... bright!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
timetokill said:
Seriously, what kind of model do you guys want? They're going for a retro Mickey that is going to animate really well. You haven't seen it animate.

Sure they could have used the KH Boring Mickey, but why?
How is the KH Mickey boring? It's perfect. It's pretty much the standard by which I judge all other 3D Mickeys.

Epic Mickey version... not so much.

ismaboof

Concept Art = I need to buy a Wii
Scans = :(
Direct Screens = :( :(

This better be the greatest animation ever seen in a video game or I give up.

On a side note, how cool would a Disney 2D animation movie based on the concept art be? I'd buy that shit on blu ray.

Catalix said:
How is the KH Mickey boring? It's perfect. It's pretty much the standard by which I judge all other 3D Mickeys.

Epic Mickey version... not so much.

It's the standard Mickey model, and his animations are boring. It's the typical, modern, boring Mickey.

Nose Master

Man. If it does indeed end up polishing to the point of not looking like this garbage, then why the fuck even release screenshots? All these screens are doing is making people scratch the game off their wanted list.

Nose Master said:
Man. If it does indeed end up polishing to the point of not looking like this garbage, then why the fuck even release screenshots? All these screens are doing is making people scratch the game off their wanted list.
It's making a few NeoGAFers scratch the game off their list. There's still 53 million other gamers that will likely buy it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The screens look about the same as the scans, which is to say in my opinion they technically don't look that bad, but something is definitely wrong..color scheme, art, something.

That said, let's wait just a bit before totally freaking out- hopefully we'll have gameplay footage tonight and maybe different shots from a different world (remember, these screens are all pretty much from one world).

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ismaboof said:
Concept Art = I need to buy a Wii
Scans = :(
Direct Screens = :( :(

This better be the greatest animation ever seen in a video game or I give up.

On a side note, how cool would a Disney 2D animation movie based on the concept art be? I'd buy that shit on blu ray.

Oh, but what if this were the greatest playing game? You'd still give up?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
timetokill said:
It's the standard Mickey model, and his animations are boring. It's the typical, modern, boring Mickey.
Thunder Monkey said:
So far from perfect.

KH Mickey is everything wrong with modern day Disney.

I like the ratlike look of this Mickey.
I'm not talking about the design of "modern day" Mickey. I'm specifically talking about the craftsmanship of the 3D character models. Kingdom Hearts has the perfect 3D adaptation of both Modern and Old School Mickey.

KH has a SteamBoat Willie version, like others have posted:

jett said:
dear god at those character renders

this is how you do mickey in 3D:

mickey-and-sora-in-kingdom-hearts-ii.jpg

Firestorm

Thunder Monkey said:
It's making a few NeoGAFers scratch the game off their list. There's still 53 million other gamers that will likely buy it.
So when was the last time a game sold 53 million without being packed in with a system? Never?

All I want to say is that the seeing those screens after the concept art is massively, massively disappointing. The concept art was just amazing, I almost wish I had never even seen the screens.

That's a shame, they totally went the wrong direction with this game.... I was hoping for a Okami style, gritty/dark Mickey Mouse game.....

What I see and what I wanted/expected based off the early cocepts are completely opposite of one another :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
GitarooMan said:
All I want to say is that the seeing those screens after the concept art is massively, massively disappointing. The concept art was just amazing, I almost wish I had never even seen the screens.
Same, was hoping the game would look much bleaker than it actually does.

Oh well, it's wait and see as I don't have much more interest in it for now.

Hiltz

The game's concept art was pretty misleading though.

It appeared to be dark, twisted and surreal but what we got instead with the real game was bright, cartoony and uninspiring for the most part.

Mr. Spector my friend, you've made the first mistake of letting down gamers everywhere.
No amount of praising Disney and hyping the game in its current state is going to do you any good.

It's strike one. Two more and your'e out. Please don't disappoint us.

Firestorm said:
So when was the last time a game sold 53 million without being packed in with a system? Never?
Never.

I worded that sentence weird. I should have said "There's 53 million other gamers that may buy it."

Catalix said:
I'm not talking about the design of "modern day" Mickey. I'm specifically talking about the craftsmanship of the 3D character models. Kingdom Hearts has the perfect 3D adaptation of both Modern and Old School Mickey.

I like how rounded the model is, but that Steamboat Willie Mickey looks like modern Mickey with a palette swap and different eyes. The entire design is just wrong.

Struct09

Hiltz said:
The game's concept art was pretty misleading though.

It appeared to be dark, twisted and surreal but what we got instead with the real game was bright, cartoony and uninspiring for the most part.

Mr. Spector my friend, you've made the first mistake of letting down gamers everywhere.
No amount of praising Disney and hyping the game in its current state is going to do you any good.

It's strike one. Two more and your'e out. Please don't disappoint us.

I may not know if this post is serious or not, but I do know one thing - it's brilliant.

Man . . . wtf is up with this game's graphics style? For those who are willing to get banned by blaming the Wii's tech I would like to remind you that whats happening here isn't because of Wii tech, its because something is long with their graphics people. I mean, you CAN make a shitty looking HD game too or you can make a kick ass looking Wii game so . . .

WTF @ no lighting, no shadows, shit textures and plain landscapes? SMG god damnit, I thought you could do that Disney. . .:(
Catalix said:

No, that model looks lame IMO.

I actually like this model because of how they make the ears stay facing you all the time. That is how we always see Mickey. The model allows for this really good animation as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDW56BACXFk

Android18a said:
I dunno, I agree those shots look poor, but they don't accurately represent how it'll look on a TV anyway. Once you factor in the lower resolution, and the natural blurring you get when you run your Wii through a TV, you'll probably end up with visuals closer to this:

11i0rbl.jpg

No you won't. The Wii isn't going to supersample shit. It'll look much worse that those screens, once the Wii's atrocious IQ gets ahold of it, not better.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well... I dunno. The concept sounds great. The ideas sound quirky. The animation is freakin' unbelievable (although we haven't seen it in the context of actual gameplay yet) and you can definitely feel the attention they're paying to this game in all aspects, right down to details like Mickey's ears always facing the camera. I also quite like some of the 3D models, particularly the Mad Doctor who looks brilliant.

Yeah, I don't like the screenshots - they're garish, jumbled and ugly, and compared (unWarrented, admittedly) to the leaked concept art it's a pretty big letdown. But you know, with all the other positives going towards it I'm willing to let that slide. It'll probably be one of those "diamond in the rough" things should the gameplay all pan out as Warren wants.

The Hermit

So the thread has become "Scans revealed part 2" now?!

Anyway, In Warren I Trust. I bet my right ball that this will be a great game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sadist said:
People are in for a lot of crow-eating next year. And I'll watch them, wit a big, big smile.
So the artstyle of the game will change midgame or something?
That's the only kind of crow I'd eat.

I have no expectations gameplay-wise and was always going to wait for impressions for that.

Sadist said:
People are in for a lot of crow-eating next year. And I'll watch them, with a big, big smile.
I WANT to eat crow! Pray that I eat crow . . .

The game looks like a mid-life PS2 title with out even the slightest bit of a clue that they even want it to look like the orgasm that is SMG graphic's level.

I'm not as underwhelmed by these shots as other GAFers, but I do wonder whether the dynamic drawing/erasing mechanic is adversely affecting the visuals. It's not implausible that it might place some significant limits on the level of environmental detail.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Father_Brain said:
I'm not as underwhelmed by these shots as other GAFers, but I do wonder whether the dynamic drawing/erasing mechanic is adversely affecting the visuals. It's not implausible that it might place some significant limits on the level of environmental detail.

Good point, had the same thought myself.

Top Bottom