• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Epic reiterates it is still making games; multiple in development

Patryn

Dec 4, 2007
The better question: Are they still in the business of making AAA console games, as they have in the past?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May 21, 2006
Now reiterate that you're making a game that will be released outside the Chinese market.

DSN2K

Jun 6, 2004
Like Valve, they have other more secure financial gains to make elsewhere currently.

SolidSnakex

Jun 7, 2004
The better question: Are they still in the business of making AAA console games, as they have in the past?
Not sure if it'll be on consoles, but they have at least one AAA game in development

At one point he confirmed Epic is working on an unannounced "triple-A shooter" alongside PC online game Fortnite, as well as number of smaller projects.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-11-epics-tim-sweeney-predicts-photo-realistic-graphics-within-10-years

Jun 6, 2013
California
Yeah, probably not a good sign when they're using Fortnite as the proof that they're still making games. I had honestly figured that game was cancelled. I can't remember seeing a single bit of footage from it outside the initial reveal trailer.

funkystudent

Apr 3, 2010
How many years has it been since Fortnite was announced?

I think that was announced before Unreal Engine 4 was official and that was nearly 2 years ago now.

Anyway. I bet Epic are making a MOBA.

Patryn

Dec 4, 2007
I asked this question in the Gears thread, but it fits a bit more now: When was the last time Epic showed off new stuff about Fortnite?

Is it in development or in "development" (i.e. the same way The Last Guardian is)?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Mar 7, 2009
Denver
www.imbarkus.com
Yep Valve's still making games too.

It's a nice diversion to occupy your time with as the money comes rolling in.

Patryn

Dec 4, 2007
Dam Whats wrong with the gaming industry lately?! Seems like they dont know what to do with thier IPs anymore.
Epic's excuse is that they were basically bought by a massive Chinese F2P gaming company. It makes sense that their focus would shift under the circumstances.

dorkimoe

Aug 19, 2007
give me that fortnite release date and or beta

also give me a new UT2k for pc please

LAA

Apr 19, 2013
Epic Games renaming to just Epic? Ha ha.

With Gears gone though, there isnt much I think of them game wise.... Infinity blade 1/2/3 and Unreal Tournament 3 are all else I've played from them. (And Bulletstorm if that counts)

Would like to see them make a new FPS personally... or a new 3rd Person Shooter... They seem to be a little...different for those genres.

May 16, 2012
lol
Its sad that they even have to make this statement.

But they have no one to blame but themselves for the situation they're in.

DerZuhälter

May 19, 2010
as does, Valve and iD Software.
You know, we all just don't like showing off and stuff.

*I miss the old days were you guys were showing off and stuff*

Trickster

Sep 25, 2009
Denmark
I still think that their tech demos were using assests from the games they are currently making. Looking forward to see what they've been up to at E3 ( I'm guessing )

Atrophis

Sep 24, 2007
Notts, UK
Whats with the Valve comparisons? Valve has actually released some games these last few years. At least one game a year since 2003. What has Epic released?