• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Reveals Samaritan Processing Requirements: 10x 360 at 1080p, (4.4x 360 at 720p)

Not to say all the rumors don't have some truth to them, but for example, what makes the "based on a 7xxx" rumor more or less valid than the "6670" rumor? Both sides have picked the rumors that suit their agenda the best and dug in.

We might not get any jaw dropping game changing revelations, but until the white sheets leak, everyone needs to keep and open mind.

Well the 7xxx and 6670 rumor aren't mutually exclusive. Because the 6670 rumor didn't say it was using one, it said it had 6670 like performance. So you could have a low - midrange 7xxx chip in there that is giving performance like a 6670. Just because a chip is from a new product line, doesn't mean it out performs everything from the previous product line.

I can easily see a SINGLE 7750 - 7770 being in there. The 7750 would be a 7xxx line chip that gave performance in the range of (though a bit ahead of) a 6670. The 7750 fits both of those rumors perfectly, except I doubt MS would pay for a chip with disabled parts. More likely its based around a 7770 with its clock speed lowered.

Well the 7xxx and 6670 rumor aren't mutually exclusive. Because the 6670 rumor didn't say it was using one, it said it had 6670 like performance. So you could have a low - midrange 7xxx chip in there that is giving performance like a 6670. Just because a chip is from a new product line, doesn't mean it out performs everything from the previous product line.

I can easily see a SINGLE 7750 - 7770 being in there. The 7750 would be a 7xxx line chip that gave performance in the range of (though a bit ahead of) a 6670. The 7750 fits both of those rumors perfectly, except I doubt MS would pay for a chip with disabled parts. More likely its based around a 7770 with its clock speed lowered.

Anything with a 7750-7770 range for WiiU and xbox3 and PS4 would be perfect for next gen (if they are all released by July next year) and might hold those rumours of the 20% difference in power.

The SPU efficiency of the cards from 2008 has increased while the TDP has drastically reduced, for example a 512 SPU 55 watt 820GFLOP HD7750 can basically match a 800 SPU 160 watt 1200 GFLOP HD4870 in older games and looking at some benches of newer games it looks like if the games are designed around the new architecture or optimisations, those games will run to 6850 speeds and considering how underpowered it looks on paper compared to a 6850 is a good sign especially on games designed around these new programming methods.

44231.png

crysis%202%201920.png

The custom parts in all consoles would also be just as efficient and even more optimised being a closed system when games are programmed to take advantage of these new developments. On paper these parts may look like mainstream to budget ranges of power but in a closed optimised system they will compete and perform more efficiently and sometimes surpass current midrange cards as shown in the above graphs.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about in getting games to look next gen at all. We are going to have one interesting generation where all fans will have access to most games excecpt for first party preferences. What will make this generation will be control methods and user interface as the game changer in user experience. Nintendo and microsoft know this already and have shown some of their cards in kinect and wii U and Sony will also be doing the same thing in the near future.

StevieP

Banned
It probably wont be a dual GPU, but 7770 would be at the very lowest end of what it might be. I'd expect much more.

Plus by late 2013 it will not be a 7770 per se, there will be different GPU's by then. The next AMD generation will be around the beginning of 2013, there should be another one nearing by the end of 2013.

All the dual GPU talk is ridiculous. That's not going to happen in a console.

And FYI, a 7770-like chip is probably the best case scenario of what to expect in your next gen consoles, performance/heat/wattage-wise, not a worst case scenario. And I mean maximum.

All the dual GPU talk is ridiculous. That's not going to happen in a console.

And FYI, a 7770-like chip is probably the best case scenario of what to expect in your next gen consoles, performance/heat/wattage-wise, not a worst case scenario. And I mean maximum.

For a $399 system absolutely we still have to add the kinects for MS and subscreens for WiiU and god knows what PS4 will have (subscreen with ping pong balls). Maybe he expects a $599 system and it could happen, or maybe microsoft and SONY are willing to take a $200 hit on each console sold. it is not out of the realm of all possibility but a big risk, but that's my view.

i-Lo

The Radeon HD 7xxx's result for DX11 are quite encouraging. Despite being a realist, I am not certain if NextBox will feature a customized version of it (like the 7770) especially if it comes out for sale around next year's Christmas. I'd expect a customized solution that's a cross breed between 7xxx and 8xxx (for better wattage efficiency).

Add to that Epic's UE4 is supposed to be more efficient than UE3 and all of a sudden the Samaritan demo is a bit closer to reality. The real capabilities of next gen systems would be best shown by open world games (a new Mass effect, Fallout, Oblivion, GTA, Just cause etc).

StevieP

Banned
You're not getting a <28nm part in a console that's coming out next year. Not even Intel is that aggressive, and they have the best fabs in the world.

i-Lo

You're not getting a <28nm part in a console that's coming out next year. Not even Intel is that aggressive, and they have the best fabs in the world.

I am no computer hardware expert and so I wanted to know what are chances of vertical stacking of CPU or GPU or even RAM chips? I know it was mentioned that 2GB is most likely a reality because of density limitation so are there any creative ways of getting around it or would any such activity prove to be a too time consuming and expensive to be economically viable?

I am no computer hardware expert and so I wanted to know what are chances of vertical stacking of CPU or GPU or even RAM chips? I know it was mentioned that 2GB is most likely a reality because of density limitation so are there any creative ways of getting around it or would any such activity prove to be a too time consuming and expensive to be economically viable?

no

StevieP

Banned
Do you have any reason to believe that MS will not be seeking to combine existing tech with newer installation solutions for great performance at a reasonable price?

The thing about "newer installation solutions" is... well it usually throws out the reasonable price part. Or the "having sufficient yields" part. Oban (the Xbox Durango chip) is already taped out, however... using today's/yesterday's technology - not tomorrow's.

Oban (the Xbox Durango chip) is already taped out, however... using today's/yesterday's technology - not tomorrow's.

Why do you say such things...you have no clue, you're just blindly believing one report by Charlie, who BTW looks wrong on Kepler. Anyway.

Just spotted this over twitter

DQnKO.png

UE4 demo confirmed? Or just UE3 stuff?

StevieP

Banned
Why do you say such things...you have no clue, you're just blindly believing one report by Charlie, who BTW looks wrong on Kepler. Anyway.

Just spotted this over twitter

DQnKO.png

UE4 demo confirmed? Or just UE3 stuff?

It wasn't just Charlie (who does know things, btw, even if his record isn't spotless).
Where there's smoke there's fire, why can't you understand that?

AB12

For the people who laughed and said that it was impossible to get 6970 level power consumption at 100 watts
power_peak.gif

Top Bottom