• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic seems to have Unreal Tournament running on the Switch (Prototyping?)

The reason I consider about the wiimote bad for an FPS is that depending on the distance you are from the screen you may need to make larger sweeps of you arm/wrist than any other control scheme. Then there is the shape of the controller which leads to an unnatural position for precise and very fast motor control. Proof of that is if you just point the wiimote at the sceen and you see massive amounts of cursor jitter.
Ummm no? I played years of Black ops on Wii and never had that problem. Just move your wrist a little bit. Plus most fps let you customize controls better than any fps on consoles.

Pokemaniac

The reason I consider about the wiimote bad for an FPS is that depending on the distance you are from the screen you may need to make larger sweeps of you arm/wrist than any other control scheme. Then there is the shape of the controller which leads to an unnatural position for precise and very fast motor control. Proof of that is if you just point the wiimote at the sceen and you see massive amounts of cursor jitter.

If your cursor is jittering then you are probably either too far away from the screen, at a bad angle, or have some IR interference. On the Wii U menu right now I was completely unable to get it to jitter without attempting to use it at a pretty sharp angle.

Also, I'm kind of at a loss as to what you're doing that's requiring you to move your entire arm to aim. It's basically all wrist movement for me.

rjc571

Banned
The reason I consider about the wiimote bad for an FPS is that depending on the distance you are from the screen you may need to make larger sweeps of you arm/wrist than any other control scheme.
https://youtu.be/t1XGO90Y6Zo
?????
Then there is the shape of the controller which leads to an unnatural position for precise and very fast motor control. Proof of that is if you just point the wiimote at the sceen and you see massive amounts of cursor jitter.
https://youtu.be/9hgGjVno_ls
????????????

M3d10n

Well the names on it are pretty important people. Joe Graf is Technical Director with Unreal Engine Partners support etc. Adams is Platform lead with Unreal
Yeah, it seems the Switch is getting first class UE4 support alongside the PS4 and XB1.

If your cursor is jittering then you are probably either too far away from the screen, at a bad angle, or have some IR interference. On the Wii U menu right now I was completely unable to get it to jitter without attempting to use it at a pretty sharp angle.

Also, I'm kind of at a loss as to what you're doing that's requiring you to move your entire arm to aim. It's basically all wrist movement for me.
IR aiming is literally line of site, 1:1 movement. With the ability to customize bounding box size, I'm confused why this guy is making "large sweeps" with his arm.

Hell, the further away, the less movement is even required to turn

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If they have an internal Switch build of UT doesn't that give us a potential way of comparing the UE4 presets with an actual game?

Also I'm getting my hopes up, someone shatter them to save me from unneeded disappointment

tuxfool

Banned

Nobody is going to be playing something like UT with that amount of input smoothing. There is no jitter there precisely due to that. The videos you posted even show copious amounts of input lag.

dude, what are you doing?

I wrote arm/wrist because unless you're resting your arm on a surface, you are expending effort in controlling your arm muscles, even if they contribute very little to the final movement of the controller.

Cynar

If they have an internal Switch build of UT doesn't that give us a potential way of comparing the UE4 presets with an actual game?

Also I'm getting my hopes up, someone shatter them to save me from unneeded disappointment
They got the UE engine working on Wii U early on , I'm sure they can get it working on the switch with some concessions. Does this help?

tkscz

Nobody is going to be playing something like UT with such that amount of input smoothing. There is no jitter there precisely due to that. The videos you posted even show copious amounts of input lag.

dude, what are you doing?

I wrote arm/wrist because unless you're resting your arm on a surface, you are expending effort in controlling your arm muscles, even if they contribute very little to the final movement of the controller.

No, no it didn't. The reticle moved almost 1:1. The point where it's hard to tell it didn't. Unless you were going on when the screen moved and not when the reticle moved. In which, the reticle has to reach the edge before the screen moves.

tuxfool

Banned
No, no it didn't. The reticle moved almost 1:1. The point where it's hard to tell it didn't. Unless you were going on when the screen moved and not when the reticle moved. In which, the reticle has to reach the edge before the screen moves.

Eh, whatever, I'm not all that married to my argument, I'll put it down to my dislike of unlinked aim and rotation. I'll just agree to disagree to my larger points.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They got the UE engine working on Wii U early on , I'm sure they can get it working on the switch with some concessions. Does this help?
That was UE3 though, this is 4 and it has actual support from Epic, did the Wii U? Legit asking, not hypothetical lol, not very versed in these things

rjc571

Banned
Nobody is going to be playing something like UT with that amount of input smoothing. There is no jitter there precisely due to that. The videos you posted even show copious amounts of input lag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGwOXCFFx0&feature=youtu.be
????????????????

(I think you're confusing input lag with the drag effect of the pointer in fps games. When I quickly move the pointer from one side to the other the camera's momentum initially carries it in the opposite direction and takes a few frames to shift back the other way. This effect can be mitigated by messing with the sensitivity settings.)

Exactly and in most fps on Wii you could mess with the dead zone (I think that's what it was called?) so it would turn right away.

Kebiinu

Banned
I loved the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. Very smooth FPS experience, and perhaps the issue comes from when you make exaggerated motion. It's effortless, really.

antonz

That was UE3 though, this is 4 and it has actual support from Epic, did the Wii U? Legit asking, not hypothetical lol, not very versed in these things

Wii U in the end got UE3 by a 3rd party basically getting it running. Epic themselves have offered no real support. Wii was similar Ubisoft created a version that could be dubbed 2.5 It had features of 3 but it was very much based on UE2.
Switch will be full fledged UE4 with Epic themselves actually involved so that is massive change

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the Vita and Wii U, Epic used Epic Citadel as their test project IIRC.

Using Unreal Tournament as a test project makes a lot of sense, as it's small enough to port more easily, and is also a fairly demanding game, so they should run into most of the development hurdles you would with a real project.

I have no idea if Epic will support the Switch with games or not, but if they did, I would probably expect Fortnite, SpyJinx, or even Paragon well before Unreal Tournament, given that's such a barebones shell of a game.

Wii U in the end got UE3 by a 3rd party basically getting it running. Epic themselves have offered no real support. Wii was similar Ubisoft created a version that could be dubbed 2.5 It had features of 3 but it was very much based on UE2.
Switch will be full fledged UE4 with Epic themselves actually involved so that is massive change

Unreal Engine 2.5 was an Epic creation. It was what they named the engine for Unreal Championship 2 on the original Xbox.

Owensboro

I'm going to post a very, very stupid question but I hope you can all bear with me:

What the heck is GitHub and why would code from a company randomly be on it and searchable to what I assume is everyone? I've know about the existence of GitHub for a while but honestly have no clue what it's really used for. I always thought it was just a throwback chat room or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to post a very, very stupid question but I hope you can all bear with me:

What the heck is GitHub and why would code from a company randomly be on it? I've know about the existence of GitHub for a while but honestly have no clue what it's really used for. I always thought it was just a throwback chat room or something.

It's the code repository Epic uses to share the source code for their engine. It's used by a wide range of companies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What the heck is GitHub and why would code from a company randomly be on it and searchable to what I assume is everyone? I've know about the existence of GitHub for a while but honestly have no clue what it's really used for. I always thought it was just a throwback chat room or something.

Programmers who work on software use code repositories so they can keep track of changes, maintain different versions in parallel, track bugs, etc. Git is one of the most common code repositories in use. Github provides free hosting for projects that use git. As such, it is the home to the code of many open source projects. Projects on Git can be private or public, and Epic's UT / UE4 stuff is apparently public.

Wii U had UE3 support day one.
Remember Batman Arkham City, which was a Wii U launch game? That's a pure UE3 game. Many others as well.

UE4 support was worked on (or is still worked on?) specifically for IGA's Bloodstained as Wii U never had (and never will have) official UE4 support.

Jitter only appears if you are to far away from the sensor bar or the one time calibration in the preferences has not been done.

Other than that the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo is the most precise and fastest control option for shooter on consoles (and it needs normally only barely visible motions of your hand, much more suited for long playing sessions than a normal pad controller).

Durante

- Worked around a physics task graph issue with using the new lock free stuff on Wolf, joining PS4 and XboxOne. Wolf was crashing on some boots.
Interesting. I had a "fun" time debugging parallelism issues on ARM a few years back. If you write low-level synchronized (e.g. spinlocked) parallel code the subtle differences between the default multicore visibility behaviour of memory changes on x86 and ARM can really hit you hard.

I believe ARMv8 switched to a stronger (or let's say "more x86-like") memory model though.

I think Josh Adams is probably feeling very embarrassed right now
Why would he?

MacTag

Banned
I have no idea if Epic will support the Switch with games or not, but if they did, I would probably expect Fortnite, SpyJinx, or even Paragon well before Unreal Tournament, given that's such a barebones shell of a game.
I actually think a quick port of Shadow Complex Remastered would be a great test product for launch on Epic's part. Yes it's an old game but the XB1/PS4 ports would be under a year older, it's a relatively low resource UE4 port to do and it's in a genre that the Nintendo audience is disproportionately responsive to historically. Add to that the appeal of portability adding value for core gamers who might be repurchasing the game and it seems like a really low risk effort. I'd grab it at least.

M3d10n

I actually think a quick port of Shadow Complex Remastered would be a great test product for launch on Epic's part. Yes it's an old game but the XB1/PS4 ports would be under a year older, it's a relatively low resource UE4 port to do and it's in a genre that the Nintendo audience is disproportionately responsive to historically. Add to that the appeal of portability adding value for core gamers who might be repurchasing the game and it seems like a really low risk effort. I'd grab it at least.

I forgot about Shadow Complex. That's a good candidate, since it was basically made to showcase porting UE3 games to UE4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGwOXCFFx0&feature=youtu.be
????????????????

(I think you're confusing input lag with the drag effect of the pointer in fps games. When I quickly move the pointer from one side to the other the camera's momentum initially carries it in the opposite direction and takes a few frames to shift back the other way. This effect can be mitigated by messing with the sensitivity settings.)

Am I going to have to call your mom to force you to clean your room?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Interesting. I had a "fun" time debugging parallelism issues on ARM a few years back. If you write low-level synchronized (e.g. spinlocked) parallel code the subtle differences between the default multicore visibility behaviour of memory changes on x86 and ARM can really hit you hard.

I believe ARMv8 switched to a stronger (or let's say "more x86-like") memory model though.
ARMv8 is as weakly-ordered as ever, which is a good thing ; )

ed: unless you're referring to ldra and strl, which was a new addition, yes.

Top Bottom