• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic seems to have Unreal Tournament running on the Switch (Prototyping?)

M3d10n

So, I was searching the UE4 master branch logs on GitHub for references to "Wolf" (which turned out to be a codename for the Nintendo Switch) and struck gold:

Code:
Change 3126812 on 2016/09/15 by Josh.Adams

Merged Wolf support into Dev-Platform (hidden from almost all people still). Non-Wolf-specific changes:
	- Converted the PS4MallocCrash class into a generic one (that Wolf is now also using)
	- Refactored the GL shader compiler to allow Wolf to modify behavior without a lot of if WOLF checks everywhere

Change 3145245 on 2016/09/29 by Joe.Graf

#wolf
	Checking in removal of plugin use on Win64 per Josh's request

Change 3145538 on 2016/09/29 by Josh.Adams

- Worked around a physics task graph issue with using the new lock free stuff on Wolf, joining PS4 and XboxOne. Wolf was crashing on some boots.

Change 3132905 on 2016/09/20 by Josh.Adams

- Fixed up some paths with the WolfPlat rename

Change 3133169 on 2016/09/20 by Josh.Adams

- Fixed issue with Wolf access but no SDK installed

Change 3134544 on 2016/09/21 by Josh.Adams

[B]- Reduced UT textures for Wolf
[/B]
Change 3140203 on 2016/09/26 by Josh.Adams

- Wolf Fix for SHIPPING

Change 3140276 on 2016/09/26 by Josh.Adams

- Fixed Wolf compile error

Change 3141916 on 2016/09/27 by Josh.Adams

[B]- Worked around compile issues (at least with Wolf UT). This is well documented in a Jira (UE-29925)[/B]

Change 3141926 on 2016/09/27 by Josh.Adams

- Support for skipping Wolf user selector (-nologinui)

Change 3142219 on 2016/09/27 by Josh.Adams

- Wolf PhysX 3.4 libs and includes

Change 3145540 on 2016/09/29 by Josh.Adams

- Fix for checking some Wolf dev tool installation existence
	- Fix for various Wolf build issues
	- Fix for Wolf devices not showing up in Launch on

Change 3146476 on 2016/09/30 by Josh.Adams

- Moved a UBT log that could pollute QA logs with Wolf secrets to Verbose

Change 3146554 on 2016/09/30 by Josh.Adams

- Removed another wolf secret log

Change 3147725 on 2016/09/30 by Josh.Adams

- Fixed yet another Wolf log for people with Wolf access but no SDK

So, there are two clear references to "Wolf UT" there. So this seems to be the game Epic is using to test those setting profiles we dug up on the other thread.

M-m-m-monster kill me if old.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
possibility 1) they're working on UT for the switch

possibility 2) they use UT as a test project to experiment with new platforms and because they need a test basis to discover and respond to engine issues for UE4.

M3d10n

possibility 1) they're working on UT for the switch

possibility 2) they use UT as a test project to experiment with new platforms and because they need a test basis to discover and respond to engine issues for UE4.

Possibility #2 is more likely since UT is in a far too constant state of flux to be shippable for any console. Unless Nintendo is really, really lax with update requirements.

JP

Wait, there's a new Unreal Tournament on the way to the consoles? When was this announced? If I'm being honest, I imagine that Unreal Tournament game would feel pretty out of place now.

I think I'd be happier with the latest Quake hitting consoles, I'd think it would have aged quite a bit better than this franchise has.

EDIT:
Ah, nothing's been announced. I thought I'd missed it.

M3d10n

Wait, there's a new Unreal Tournament on the way to the consoles? When was this announced? If I'm being honest, I imagine that Unreal Tournament game would feel pretty out of place now.

I think I'd be happier with the latest Quake hitting consoles, I'd think it would have aged quite a bit better than this franchise has.

EDIT:
Ah, nothing's been announced. I thought I'd missed it.

Not on consoles, but there's a new (free) UT which you can play right now on the PC: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

tuxfool

Banned
I'm gonna say prototype for now.

This.

They've stated that they're designing it for PC atm, unless their goal have changed. This means high frame rates and mouse control.

However UT is a good tool for prototyping and testing their engine on the switch. It is an already developed test case with plenty of assets and real game logic to test with.

johnvr

I'm pretty sure that Unreal Tournament is used as a "template" project that they use for adding support for new systems.

They designed it in a way that it uses most of the features of the engine so that they could use it for testing features/debugging issues easily on different hardware from what I understand.

This really doesn't mean much.

Yeah, sounds like their testbed for working on the hardware, rather than necessarily a port (which I suppose necessitates a title change?).

I imagine 'reduced textures' means actual texture quality? Because I'm not sure why they'd actually lower the number of textures.

18-Volt

Man, this reminds me once Epic was working on Unreal 1 port to N64 but for some reason they cancelled it. It would be awesome if the make up for it after 20 years.

M3d10n

A mod can make the thread title more accurate if deemed necessary.

(Thanks!)

Yeah, sounds like their testbed for working on the hardware, rather than necessarily a port (which I suppose necessitates a title change?).

I imagine 'reduced textures' means actual texture quality? Because I'm not sure why they'd actually lower the number of textures.
You can easily reduce the texture sizes directly in the Unreal editor. It's non-destructive too, so it can be undone. It's great because artists keep uploading 4k textures for our mobile game and I can mercilessly set them to 256x256.

Man, this reminds me once Epic was working on Unreal 1 port to N64 but for some reason they cancelled it. It would be awesome if the make up for it after 20 years.

Wouldn't the N64 have had to support UE1 I assume at the time since that's the whole point of UT is that it's the literal "Unreal Engine Game" no?

Edit: Hold on, so is Wolf literally the codename of Switch after all, just as Cafe was for Wii U, Revolution for Wii, Dolphin for GC, and Project Reality for N64?

WAIT A MINUTE.

Wolf as in Werewolf, change from human to werewolf. Woah.

Chumley

Banned
UT4?

That fucking thing has been in pre-alpha for over 2 years now. I wish Epic took people off Paragon and put them on that game to get development moving faster.

M3d10n

Wouldn't the N64 have had to support UE1 I assume at the time since that's the whole point of UT is that it's the literal "Unreal Engine Game" no?

Edit: Hold on, so is Wolf literally the codename of Switch after all, just as Cafe was for Wii U, Revolution for Wii, Dolphin for GC, and Project Reality for N64?

It's probably an internal name at Epic to keep things under wraps, since only some employees had access to it but stuff would invariably show up on the git logs.

But it's possible: the New 3DS was codenamed "Snake".

It's probably an internal name at Epic to keep things under wraps, since only some employees had access to it.

But it's possible: the New 3DS was codenamed "Snake".

Snake huh? Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Should've been chameleon; changing faceplates like its colors.

tuxfool

Banned
Fair enough.
Switch has a built in wiimote-ish IR controller. Not that I think this is anything but internal testing solely based on the dates.

I mean it could happen, but this kind of arena shooter will have to be seriously nerfed to work well with a console control scheme. I'm not convinced it would feel right given those limitations. Even with a Wiimote control scheme, which is too loose and inaccurate to work well, I'd say a wiimote scheme would be even worse than a controller.

M3d10n

Snake huh? Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Should've been chameleon; changing faceplates like its colors.
Nah, Snake does that too:
hvdceTV.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
Good thing the Switch might possibly have Wii remote style controls as well! Gimme dat precision!

A Wii remote is horribly inaccurate and imprecise, too much fudging around. I'm not sure you understand what you're proposing here.

It would strike me as an exercise in frustration to play UT like that.

Speely

Banned
I mean it could happen, but this kind of arena shooter will have to be seriously nerfed to work well with a console control scheme. I'm not convinced it would feel right given those limitations. Even with a Wiimote control scheme, which is too loose and inaccurate to work well , I'd say a wiimote scheme would be even worse than a controller.

Nah, you make a good point for sure. UT has a specific kind of design that is sort of predicated upon utilizing certain input methods to interact with the levels effectively.

I DO hope someone releases a proper arena-style FPS on the Switch, though. Would be a good fit imo.

Pokemaniac

A Wii remote is horribly inaccurate and imprecise, too much fudging around. I'm not sure you understand what you're proposing here.

It would strike me as an exercise in frustration to play UT like that.

If your point of reference is KB+M, then sure (though, in my opinion, Wiimote + Nunchuk has a better feel when implemented correctly). KB+M is not the standard FPS control scheme on consoles though.

antonz

Well the names on it are pretty important people. Joe Graf is Technical Director with Unreal Engine Partners support etc. Adams is Platform lead with Unreal

Speely

Banned
You could get some version of COD, the map design there doesn't have a lot of verticality or require so much air control.

Oh I meant "arena" in the classic sense: fast movement and rapidly-shifting dynamic play based on weapon spawn/map knowledge and super-twitchy control mastery... Like Unreal or Quake games. For shooters in general I will be all over Splatoon for a while after launch (assuming it really is a launch title.)

I mean it could happen, but this kind of arena shooter will have to be seriously nerfed to work well with a console control scheme. I'm not convinced it would feel right given those limitations. Even with a Wiimote control scheme, which is too loose and inaccurate to work well, I'd say a wiimote scheme would be even worse than a controller.

In no measurable metric aside from turn speed would IR control (or even gyro pointers be worse than a controller. Nothing is worse than that. A keyboard and mouse is leagues better than either.

But we're talking about a testing platform anyway, so the prospect of doing so isn't really a prospect.

tuxfool

Banned
If your point of reference is KB+M, then sure (though, in my opinion, Wiimote + Nunchuk has a better feel when implemented correctly). KB+M is not the standard FPS control scheme on consoles though.

The reason I consider about the wiimote bad for an FPS is that depending on the distance you are from the screen you may need to make larger sweeps of you arm/wrist than any other control scheme. Then there is the shape of the controller which leads to an unnatural position for precise and very fast motor control. Proof of that is if you just point the wiimote at the sceen and you see massive amounts of cursor jitter.

Top Bottom