• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store already has 85 million registered users. (40% Don't have/never used Steam)

ethomaz

Banned
I believe it is not 40% doesn’t have Steam it just 40% didn’t choose to import Steam and so make Epic knows they have an account.

Fuz

Banned
I love watching the PC people struggle now with the timed deal bullshit consoles have had to deal with for years, since Sony started it with Tomb Raider.

Welcome to real competition. Enjoy your divided player base.
This is really an idiotic position.

"It's a total shitfest for us, I'm happy it's becoming shit for everyone else!"

-MD-

I love watching the PC people struggle now with the timed deal bullshit consoles have had to deal with for years, since Sony started it with Tomb Raider.

Misery loves company.

I believe it is not 40% doesn’t have Steam it just 40% didn’t choose to import Steam and so make Epic knows they have an account.

The Epic launcher detects whether you have Steam installed or not, that is where the 40% comes from.

Also highly amusing that its not 85m have installed Epic launcher, but Epic Game Store. A big difference, but one that can be ignored in order to push a narrative.

Lucumo

Pretty sure that’s when the PC base united. I know it’s about when I quit PC and and went back to consoles.
Lol, what? Steam is a de facto walled garden. Buy a game on Steam and elsewhere and you can't access the mods that are gated by Steam. Often times, crossplay isn't available (and it shouldn't even be necessary because there shouldn't be a need to "cross" anything). Pre-Steam, everyone could play together and interact with each other. Post-Steam, not so much.

Calibos

The kicker here is that they have that 40% number by the Epic store scraping through you personal files to see if you have steam and what kinds of games you have on steam. Scummy epic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eu...uncher-accesses-steam-data-without-permission

Of course they said, “our bad, we will fix it” but the bottom line is that between this and the money hatting and all the other arrogance from having Fortnite, they can kiss this Unreal Engine users ass. Tim Sweeney trashes MS for trying to build a UWP garden and here he is building one...

Last edited:
I love Epic for my childhood memories with Unreal but I love Steam and would support them over a game store where half the accounts are comprised of kids or casuals that just play Fortnite.

A huge number of this '85 million' is definitely kids.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i have it because i got Fortnite last year. it is the only game i use it for and i've played about 4 hours. so yay for me being counted there despite never playing their games or having any intention of ever using the service.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not saying there haven't been other exclusivity agreements (timed or otherwise) since, or before. Whether that is a shitty business practice is debatable, but it's just business as usual, for many companies.

Just that your original assertion regarding "Tomb Raider on Dreamcast, and Sony had everything to do with it" doesn't entirely seem historically correct. And also that "Sony was the pioneer of the moneyhatted exclusive" is patently false.

Either way, Sony was the pioneer of the timed exclusive and that was really the point I was driving across, and it happened both before and after MS entered the market.
Not the same. Unlike console only people, we dont have to buy another piece of hardware for some exclusive game. Minor inconvenience of another account is nothing compared to buying yet another device. There is no struggle in clicking one icon to play a game over another.
That’s great news. That means you can own all the games.

Unless you choose not to buy them because of principal or something otherwise sillier.

See you are still better then consoles.

This is really an idiotic position.

"It's a total shitfest for us, I'm happy it's becoming shit for everyone else!"

As pointed out above,you don’t have to buy new hardware. You just have to download new software. If you are too good for that, well that’s on you.

I’m not going to cry for you here.

“I have all the abilities to play this game for no extra money, but I refuse too.... Whawha wha.”

Go somewhere else for that shit,

rivv3r

Banned
40 percent of them report not having Steam.

RRxaJeW.gif

The kicker here is that they have that 40% number by the Epic store scraping through you personal files to see if you have steam and what kinds of games you have on steam. Scummy epic.

I only installed the client in order to check out their store and its functionality. Never bought a game on there and the free game offerings are time bound and crappy. I'd say a lot of people did the same as me, hence why they are still not releasing any sales numbers. If they want to impress me, show me the sales or GTFO.

No that I'm aware that they used their client in order to access my steam files and comb my system, I've uninstalled their shitty spyware. Good riddance!

MiguelItUp

This is ridiculous. The first thing I thought was, "Yeah, it's probably children that want to play nothing but Fortnite."

I installed it solely for Unreal Tournament, and we'll, RIP I guess. :messenger_persevering:

Fbh

Good for them I guess.
Doesn't seem that impressive when the launcher is needed for one of the most popular F2P games right now

sendit

By divided, are you refering to games with a multiplayer/online element or gaming community? Regardless of what store the game is purchased. PC Players will connect to the same servers. Play together with the same content.

Hari Seldon

Those don’t sound like monthly active users. I’m probably on that list despite playing fortnite for 20 mins and uninstalling lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Their whole comparison to Steam is ugly. They act like the last 15+ years never happened and people don't have a couple hundred games on Steam already. Yeah sure, the young kid watched YouTube and downloaded your program. Big f*cking deal. What actual positive thing comes from this? Did I spend a couple thousand on your store? No, I use it for "free" stuff.

I wonder when the whole fad thing will go away. At some point gloating about clickbait registrations has to get old.

johntown

Banned
I hate to say it but I have an account. I tried to use it once for a free game but then realized I didn’t like the platform and uninstalled it and have not touched since. No the game was not Fortnite.

Any platform that offers any game for free is going to have lots of users who came just for that game but never touched or use since.

I’d be interested to see how many active users they have that are not playing Fortnite.

90% of those accounts were made specifically for Fortnite, and will die with it. The only reason I have an account was because I dabbled with UE4 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom