• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: "The intended platforms Unreal Engine 4 is aimed at havent even been announced"

And the most amazing thing about the meltdown is that tim never even mentioned any specific console in his quote and it just snowballed from there.

StevieP

Banned
Please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

Where are people getting the idea that there have been multiple sources saying WiiU is only slightly powerful than current gen?

We only have a couple discrete sources, 1 source from ign saying the system is 5x Xbox360, 1 source from GI.biz saying it is weaker than xbox360, and the rest have been vague comments from Vigil employees.

Most of the stuff you see have been secondhand reports from these sources.

So trying to hedge your bets on the power of WiiU by basing it on the number of sources doesn't really work because there have been so few....

Where are people getting the idea that there have been multiple sources saying WiiU is only slightly powerful than current gen?

We only have a couple discrete sources, 1 source from ign saying the system is 5x Xbox360, 1 source from GI.biz saying it is weaker than xbox360, and the rest have been vague comments from Vigil employees.

Most of the stuff you see have been secondhand reports from these sources.

So trying to hedge your bets on the power of WiiU by basing it on the number of sources doesn't really work because there have been so few....
Its just Heavy.

I don't think there's anyone as persistent as him when it comes to believing negative Wii-U rumors.

Its just Heavy.

I don't think there's anyone as persistent as him when it comes to believing negative Wii-U rumors.
That's not accurate. Skim through any of the threads where one of these rumors was announced and you'll see lots of others saying the same thing. FYI, this can also go both ways.

BurntPork

Banned
but you're pretty insistent that wiiU will get it. I think Tim is clear in his statement that its for durango and ps4

Yes, those are the main platforms. However, that doesn't mean that those platforms will be the only ones to get it. I mean, we already know that it's coming to mobiles, so what could stop it from coming to Wii U considering that mobiles probably won't catch up to Wii U until like half way into the generation? I mean, you could assume that mobiles won't get it until long after UE4's initial release, but I recall comments to the contrary. I can't seem to find them, though, since I don't know exactly what to look for.

Plus, it was said before that UE4's is meant for Kepler, yet according to rumors both Durango and Orbis have Pitcairn GPUs. Nothing said now by them is definitive, especially if Wii U sells well.

I didn't bother reading the thread, but I'm assuming what's going on is this.

Tim Sweeney said (using the thread title), "The intended platforms Unreal Engine 4 is aimed at havent even been announced."

And some are revising it to say "The only platforms Unreal Engine 4 will come out on have not been announced."

Amirite?

I didn't bother reading the thread, but I'm assuming what's going on is this.

Tim Sweeney said (using the thread title), "The intended platforms Unreal Engine 4 is aimed at havent even been announced."

And some are revising it to say "The only platforms Unreal Engine 4 will come out on have not been announced."

Amirite?

actually the OP says this and you should read the thread if not just the THREAD title

Tim Sweeney: Yeah, we're starting a behind-closed-doors showing of the engine to developers; this is part of our very early ramp-up cycle. We went through this cycle with Unreal Engine 3 starting in 2003 and 2004. At some point we'll make public announcements and ramp up to the point where developers are shipping games, but it's very early right now. We're aiming very high, and the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced.

BurntPork

Banned
Says nothing more than what I did. Notice I said "using the thread title", not "only read the thread title".

I was reading his post going 'How does that, in any way, negate what bg said?'

I guess he's looking at the "aiming very high" part, but that could just as easily only mean that it's meant to be well optimized to take advantage of high-end hardware in the same sense that Max Payne 3 is optimized to use 16GB of RAM. Nothing in that quote implies that the next consoles are the minimum, and it would be a poor business decision if they were.

I guess he's looking at the "aiming very high" part,

I suppose he could be.

but that could just as easily only mean that it's meant to be well optimized to take advantage of high-end hardware in the same sense that Max Payne 3 is optimized to use 16GB of RAM. Nothing in that quote implies that the next consoles are the minimum, and it would be a poor business decision if they were.

But, I don't understand why this isn't more widely acknowledged/ignored.
Which is basically what BG said.

I guess I should probably say that when I said "anonymous" dev, I meant anonymous to all of you, not anonymous to me.

and for as little as my word may mean to all of you, know that we discussed it all in detail before it was posted online. From what was said, Wii U may not be the "intended unannounced platform(of UE4)" but it is up and running on it, and Nintendo is making sure it is doing it smoothly.

and this was told before all the rumors of Nintendo tweaking for 3rd party engines (could even be the source of those rumors). So take it with some salt, or outright dismiss it, makes no difference to me. Haters gonna Hate and Believers gonna Believe, but E3 is less than a month away, so the truth shall be known.

StevieP

Banned
I guess I should probably say that when I said "anonymous" dev, I meant anonymous to all of you, not anonymous to me.

and for as little as my word may mean to all of you, know that we discussed it all in detail before it was posted online. From what was said, Wii U may not be the "intended unannounced platform(of UE4)" but it is up and running on it, and Nintendo is making sure it is doing it smoothly.

and this was told before all the rumors of Nintendo tweaking for 3rd party engines (could even be the source of those rumors). So take it with some salt, or outright dismiss it, makes no difference to me. Haters gonna Hate and Believers gonna Believe, but E3 is less than a month away, so the truth shall be known.

Fair enough. I had heard this was *exactly* the case with UE3, described to me almost word for word the same way to you (maybe your guy meant UE3? lol) and other big third party engines (FB, CE3, MT) making sure they run and run well and better than they do on the HD twins. But I had no idea that UE4 - an unreleased and unfinished engine of which likely only Epic has access to test - would be part of this scope.

I would expect UE4 in some fashion on the system but I doubted it woud be Epic involved. I thought it would be the same way UE 2.5 runs on Wii - a 3rd party adapts it despite Epic's lack of interest. (Was it Red Steel and Spliter Cell that used it at launch? I know Bioshock did but that game didn't come to the platform). With that said, Epic has also expressed interest in porting it to "mobile platforms" like they did with UE3 so this "high end stuff only" is likely the selling pitch at the moment. Modern game engines are scalable by nature.

Fair enough. I had heard this was *exactly* the case with UE3, described to me almost word for word the same way to you (maybe your guy meant UE3? lol) and other big third party engines (FB, CE3, MT) making sure they run and run well and better than they do on the HD twins. But I had no idea that UE4 - an unreleased and unfinished engine of which likely only Epic has access to test - would be part of this scope.

I would expect UE4 in some fashion on the system but I doubted it woud be Epic involved. I thought it would be the same way UE 2.5 runs on Wii - a 3rd party adapts it despite Epic's lack of interest. (Was it Red Steel and Spliter Cell that used it at launch? I know Bioshock did but that game didn't come to the platform). With that said, Epic has also expressed interest in porting it to "mobile platforms" like they did with UE3 so this "high end stuff only" is likely the selling pitch at the moment.

You really don't think Epic would offer an assistance/insider info to console devs?

StevieP

Banned
You really don't think Epic would offer an assistance/insider info to console devs?

UE4 is currently only in Epic's hands, as it's unfinished. It would have to be Epic doing the porting/optimization of the engine at the moment, not third party devs who currently probably don't have access to it. BNM's source would have to generate from within Epic for it to be true, I think.

UE4 is currently only in Epic's hands, as it's unfinished. It would have to be Epic doing the porting/optimization of the engine at the moment, not third party devs who currently probably don't have access to it. BNM's source would have to generate from within Epic for it to be true, I think.

From what I've been told, it sounded like Epic had been demoing UE4 since before GDC. I'm sure quite a few dev houses have seen it in action.

It's possible that the engine is further along that you suspect.

And apparently Epic is very cooperative with optimization efforts of Nintendo.
and it was clarified more than once that the source was talking about UE4.

StevieP

Banned
From what I've been told, it sounded like Epic had been demoing UE4 since before GDC. I'm sure quite a few dev houses have seen it in action.

And apparently Epic is very cooperative with optimization efforts of Nintendo.
and it was clarified more than once that the source was talking about UE4.

Maybe it is further along, but if Epic's behaviour is consistent with their UE3 stuff, they'll be the first to put out a "tech demo" game for it after extensive internal development and lots of testing and optimization.

I guess it's possible that's changed or that the engine is further along to the point where other developers or platform holders have it. Or it's also possible that Nintendo had epic flown into their Japan HQ to discuss and run tests and such. But that certainly sounds unlikely for natural skeptics like myself :)

Doesn't mean we don't appreciate the info, however.

pottuvoi

Banned

Well, they have been working on it for years, so 'graphics tech' side should be ready.
I'm sure that they have quite nicely working tool chain as well.

Ashes

Banned
Isn't UE4 supposed to be optimised for a next gen system, that caters for designs of highly paralleled work loads?

I'm almost certain wii u will have UE4 support; I'm more interested, in how they balance out performance, between Xbox 8, PC, Steambox and Ps4.

And what about Onlive? What is actually the baseline tech for an onlive game? Does anybody know?

edit: I don't mind paying, £20 a month for a ps4 or an xbox 8. But I won't be paying £40 a month for both. If that is how they play the launch.

lherre

Accurate

Are you sure? really?

Top Bottom