• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erik Kain (Contributor): Sony's Boring PS4 Is Winning The Console War

Good article, and he's right, this time the no-nonsense affordable machine made for playing games and watching netflix won. Also a great headline because it showcases who doesn't actually read the thing, though it is too clickbaity.

I didn't think it was clickbaity at all. I understood his point from the word go.

I really didn't expect this reaction. I regret posting the article, now. :\

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I finished the whole thing just now. It's alright and fair minus the click bait title. And I don't agree with the sentiments on Kinect, in particular.

As it should be. The platform holders need to leave the innovation to the developers. I want straight-forward, powerful hardware in the hands of genius game makers. That's how gamers win. We want games, not gimmicks. Simple as that.

People aren't even reading the article if they're dissing Erik Kain. He isn't even dissing the system, really. He's probably one of the best game journalists in the business.

Lime

Ps2 was the same. Simple and focused with a decent price tag. I see the PS4 as kind of the same.

If only Japan's PS4 game output was the same as the PS2 era :'(

I think the writer failed to mentioned that the PS4 also has the PlayStation 4 Eye (which may not be as capable as Kinect but functions similarly).

People aren't even reading the article if they're dissing Erik Kain. He isn't even dissing the system, really. He's probably one of the best game journalists in the business.

Based on how the article was written (structure,vocabulary, etc.) ? I really doubt this.

Toxi

Banned
Or, you know, people must just want to play games with their gaming console. A box with a primary function of playing video games when connected to a TV. I know the writer says that "boring" doesn't equal "bad", but that's a pretty loaded title for an article if it's not your point. Just clarifying it at the end is painful. So it's clickbait. Shocking!

Don't we have a growing track record of godawful threads that resulted from godawful pieces from "Forbes contributors"? I vaguely recall asking that they be banned at one point.
That's the entire point of the article.
Good to know.

I've read a few of those Forbes video game articles, and honestly, there is a certain bias towards a specific platform. Specially, those written by Mr. Kain and Mr. Thier. This is another eyebrow-raising article.
Which platform?

JordanN

Banned
Innovation should not be applauded if it is shit.

Homers-car.jpg

Ironically, how come diminishing returns is never to used to describe innovation?

In the early days of gaming, innovations meant a lot. You needed analog sticks or shoulder buttons to make a big difference playing games. None of these things cost a lot of money either.

Now a days, you can't add much more to gaming. The controls are as good as it gets. Tossing in stuff like the Kinect or Wii U gamepad also made consoles a lot more expensive but the value isn't there.

tengiants

As it should be. The platform holders need to leave the innovation to the developers. I want straight-forward, powerful hardware in the hands of genius game makers. That's how gamers win. We want games, not gimmicks. Simple as that.

Yeah! the status quo is how we got where we are today!

prwxv3

Many of you should read the article it makes some good points.

And honestly I think Sony just designed the best games console out of the big three. Games library can always be fixed, hardware decisions can not. Sony should know this first hand.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ps2 was the same. Simple and focused with a decent price tag. I see the PS4 as kind of the same.

If only Japan's PS4 game output was the same as the PS2 era :'(

Japan needs to step it up as they have become so niche and close minded. I expect things to get better for PS4 in the next year or 2.

Well, the PS4 for is "just" a stronger PS3, but it seems that the market wanted just that, lets see how the mass market reacts to something more exciting like project morpheus

1. Price

2. Power

As said

3. The industry is bigger

4. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot, so a lot of core gamers are moving onto other next gen consoles, ie the PS4

4. Microsoft lost sales to PlayStation because they looked like asshats for a year.

5. PlayStation has always had the promise of a lot of diverse exclusive videogames. More so than either MS or Nintendo. Where one is seen as the dudebro machine and the other, the kiddy machine, the Sony brand covers both sides, at least that is the perception.

I didn't think it was clickbaity at all. I understood his point from the word go.

I really didn't expect this reaction. I regret posting the article, now. :

Don't worry. You can't help it if people are stupid on the Internet.

"Exciting" gimmicks don't sell systems. Games do. And that's why the PS4 is going to run away with this generation.

PS4's largely winning because it gave people exactly what they wanted and didn't bank on gimmicks consumers ultimately didn't give a shit about. Not seeing the problem with that line of thinking, especially since it insinuates Sony's far better at reading the market than Nintendo or Microsoft were.

Super Wii is a terrible name though, just call it the 'Wii 2' or something.

aly

I see that reading the article was too hard for some people. He makes some good points and I agree that boring isn't always bad. We don't always want someone to reinvent the wheel.

I think the writer deserves all the shit he's getting for that click-bait title.

It's not click bait if he explains that boring isn't a bad thing. It's not his fault people can't be bothered to read something before they have an opinion on it.

i did read the article but it doesn't change the fact that its still a *contributor* piece which i was quoting another GAFfer.

So that's warrants 'end of thread'? No. You obviously saw that and dismissed the article without even reading it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the exciting and innovative kinect sensor is only good for "xbox on" and "xbox off"

New002

This article pretty much reflects my feelings and I think it's part of why I have the systems I do (Xbox One and Wii U). The PS4 is a fantastic system. It's powerful, affordable, and Sony has made improvements when it comes to hardware and services. It's easy to see why it's doing so well. It's a pure gaming machine. For me personally it's just not as interesting as the other two, but to each their own. That's why we have options.

This thread has been a fun read :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I did have the realization that four of my favorite gaming experiences of 2013(Tomb Raider, Diablo 3, FFXIV, and Last of Us) all had PS4 releases this year. So essentially it is awkward that I am re-experiencing the same games from a year ago with a better controller, improved visuals and other minor enhancements. I love em all, but yea...a bit weird.

That's not to say I haven't played a grip of original content on PS4 either though, but a lot of it is ported from Steam or is cross-gen.

Servbot24

Banned
Morpheus will make it a little more interesting.

But I'm happy with it being nothing more than a dedicated gaming machine without gimmicks. Software will make it interesting eventually.

pa22word

You know, it's kind of sad that even on anti-convulsion medication that destroys almost all my capacity to read, comprehend, and write stuff I still understood he wasn't attacking the PS4 like the tryhard console warriors in the first few responses jumping to the gun.

Shit guys, get a grip....

Codeblue

i did read the article but it doesn't change the fact that its still a *contributor* piece which i was quoting another GAFfer.

Why is the thread over now that we know it's a contributor piece? Is that a means of discrediting an opinion without addressing it?

Every so often we get these "enhancements" as PR/Suits like to say and what many see as gimmicks. I was around when ROB for NES was on the market and the Super Scope for SNES, they ended up being a fart in the wind.

most of the highly regarded games don't use any gimmicks, from my experience peripherals don't have longevity and more often than not don't improve on a simple button press on a controller when it comes to gameplay.

Personally I think simple, boring hardware with a good library makes a nice change.

Top Bottom