• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erik Kain (Contributor): Sony's Boring PS4 Is Winning The Console War

unbias

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lewisdv...r-contributor-payment-plan-yes-we-pay-people/

So some are paid so what? How do you know Erik Kain is paid? Even if he is paid, he is a "freelance" journalist. Forbes doesn't even endorse the opinion of their bloggers:

"The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer."

My "dumbass" point remains - the article was not the opinion of Forbes, and people should understand that Forbes is not the Forbes of 10 years ago. It was the opinion of a blogger that they shell a few bucks to and elevate to "contributor." Whoopedy-doo.

So by all means, compare Forbes articles by contributors and compare it to anything else out there, and then explain to me why it matters? And if you truly understand how far Forbes has supposedly fallen, then point it out, cause I read Fobes for financial news and they do a great job, and the best writers are the contributers, sans a very select few.
You cant(well you can, but I could claim anything I wanted too regardless of it being true) just claim the article means less because of contributors unless you actually have proof(or atleast some evidence) this is the case. Or do you think the people at IGN have more integrity over there, because they are on staff vs being hand picked by the staff? So yes, your dumbass point remains, that he is a contributor, but pointing that out on its own means absolutely nothing. All it does is make it sound like a drive by shit post, because you dont actually wana talk about what is in his article.

Afrocious

If you have a gaming PC it's even worse. Drive club and TLOU are the only things worth getting this year.

+1.

I'm not a racing game fan, and I can't justify buying the TLOU remaster since I have the original for PS3, which I enjoyed but not enough to get another copy of it despite it looking better.

RibMan

The article is right on the money. The PS4 messaging has been "Games games games", and so far, this has worked out in Sony's favor. Microsoft focused too much on multimedia features and Nintendo focused too much on the controller and not the console, and the current market performance of all three consoles is indicative of this. I think the lack of a touchscreen on the controller is going to severely limit the markets that the PS4 and PlayStation brand can appeal to, but that's a different conversation for a different time.

Drive Club has a lot of bad rap behind it, so many delays.

A delay =/= a bad game. It's troubling that #DRIVECLUB has been delayed twice, but the 'bad rep' is a result of the delays and not the actual quality of the game. Who knows - it could end up being the worst racer in the world or it could end up being the best racer in the world. Personally, I think the games graphics have out shined the games gameplay features, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned on how well the game actually plays.

Yup, I actually bought PS4 for Infamous Second Son. I really love that IP and I ended up enjoying the game. And that was that....

I am selling it cause I need money, I will buy another next Fall when Uncharted 4 is around the corner. Until then minimal gaming for me.

I've been saying this, but Sony is doing well off the backs of their branding and fandom and nothing more. That's fine from a business end, but as a consumer I just expect to have something new in a product and not a slight enhancement (in terms of features) from their last iteration. The PS brand is essentially Apple at this point with the diehard support it receives while having done very little to deserve it.

Say whatever you want about how MS goes about their business, but the Xbox One is a more interesting console, same with the Wii U. We should support companies that at least attempt to give us a new experience rather than praise the ones that simply reiterates the old. It's really baffling to me how the same people who will constantly shout about it being "all about the games" will support a console that has objectively the weakest lineup. I think that contradiction from a vocal minority is influencing how consumers at large think about video games and it's not right to me.

This is a classic case of people seeing what they want to see. Kinect came out in 2010. Xbox One at launch came with an enhanced version of a peripheral that was already bundled with 360's for years with only one dedicated first party title that came out months after the console was released. That title was sequel to a kinect game that again, came out years ago. Imagine Nintendo coming out with Wii motion plus plus in 2012 with no dedicated software taking advantage until several months later with a title called 'Wii Sports 3'. At least you could control the OS with voice commands (forget Apple did this 'new experience' with Siri beforehand) and watch TV in new exciting ways (overlay over your tv screen, which has nothing to do with gaming)

And MS hasn't been using their banding and fandom at all. It's not as if their biggest first party title this year is a collection of old games that released years ago with the main drawing being able to play the same multilayer you did 10 years ago.

And what was Nintendo's biggest Wii U games this year? Tropical freeze that uses the innovative gamepad by having it turned off completely during gameplay? Mario Kart 8 with a giant horn on the screen? Smash Bros? Nintendo has really been selling the gamepad with that title, going as far as releasing a Gamecube adapter so you'll play the Smash Bros the same way you did two generations ago.

And finishing off with the 'objectively the weakest lineup' completes your whole post. With the X1 having vast majority of the same titles as the PS4 with the exception of a few exclusives that doesn't take advantage of Kinect at all, or Nintendo with the whole lineup being almost completely void of third party titles, including the biggest one CoD, which ironically would have given the game a different control method that can't be experienced anywhere else.

You don't support companies giving new experience at all. You actually praise the ones that simply reiterates the old. But for you it's entirely dependent on the publisher and not the actual content, aka being an ignorant fanboy.

hooligan

So by all means, compare Forbes articles by contributors and compare it to anything else out there, and then explain to me why it matters? And if you truly understand how far Forbes has supposedly fallen, then point it out, cause I read Fobes for financial news and they do a great job, and the best writers are the contributers, sans a very select few.
You cant(well you can, but I could claim anything I wanted too regardless of it being true) just claim the article means less because of contributors unless you actually have proof(or atleast some evidence) this is the case. Or do you think the people at IGN have more integrity over there, because they are on staff vs being hand picked by the staff? So yes, your dumbass point remains, that he is a contributor, but pointing that out on its own means absolutely nothing. All it does is make it sound like a drive by shit post, because you dont actually wana talk about what is in his article.

Facts:
1. There are thousands of 'hand picked' contributors on forbes.com as per wikiipedia.
2. These contributors are paid per audience size with scaling rewards for sticky month to month readers as per forbes.com policy.
3. This marketing machine called Erik Kain, (and, I'm sure many other of these wonderful bloggers on Forbes.com you love so much) never has any PRIMARY source of information i.e. unique news or information that he gathered himself directly from the source in question. He simply pulls quotes from livestreams, and press releases, and OTHER people's interviews and fills the rest of his posts with frankly pretty mediocre 'analysis' and 'opinion.' Because that's all he can do. He is not out there talking to people in the industry and producing real news and opinion - he is sitting at home in his boxers blogging on a laptop.

My dumbass opinion:
1. The vast majority of these contributors write simply to increase their hitcounts and are paid to do so. They should not be considered journalists, and their writing should not be considered anything other than a form of self marketing or an extension of their own little personal enterprise.
2. If this qualifies as financial "news" for you then have at it - I prefer to read actual news and form my own opinions and analyses. I'm sure one in a thousand of these contributors actually has an interesting opinion or unique analysis to offer but the vast majority write worthless crap.

unbias

Facts:
1. There are thousands of 'hand picked' contributors on forbes.com as per wikiipedia.
2. These contributors are paid per audience size with scaling rewards for sticky month to month readers as per forbes.com policy.
3. This marketing machine called Erik Kain, (and, I'm sure many other of these wonderful bloggers on Forbes.com you love so much) never has any PRIMARY source of information i.e. unique news or information that he gathered himself directly from the source in question. He simply pulls quotes from livestreams, and press releases, and OTHER people's interviews and fills the rest of his posts with frankly pretty mediocre 'analysis' and 'opinion.' Because that's all he can do. He is not out there talking to people in the industry and producing real news and opinion - he is sitting at home in his boxers blogging on a laptop.

My dumbass opinion:
1. The vast majority of these contributors write simply to increase their hitcounts and are paid to do so. They should not be considered journalists, and their writing should not be considered anything other than a form of self marketing or an extension of their own little personal enterprise.
2. If this qualifies as financial "news" for you then have at it - I prefer to read actual news and form my own opinions and analyses. I'm sure one in a thousand of these contributors actually has an interesting opinion or unique analysis to offer but the vast majority write worthless crap.

I'm going to assume you hate the op-ed section in news papers and always have? By the sounds of the only stuff you read is "News at at 11". Also, it makes me wonder what you read in the gaming world, as well. I mean, very little in the gaming world is straight up facts with no op-ed in it. Outside of a very select few almost all of the games media is op-ed. Again though, you have said a lot but provided very little in terms of the contributors being any less then every other writer on a game website.

I like the article.

And the thing I love about the PS4 is the lack of 'gimmick'. It's a console-ass console with a good controller and an elegant design.

I've had it for about three months now, and I've enjoyed more than a few games for it. I'm glad there's no camera forced on me, and the only time I've been forced to do motion controls so far is Infamous with the tagging thing.

I'm tired of gimmicks. Wii was fun for a bit, but in the long run I didn't love it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't understand what is so disagreeable about this article.

Because the writer thinks the only way to not be boring, is to have new fancy hardware like the Kinect or the Wii-U controller.

He doesn't seem to view the share button (for example) or Cross play/buy as new innovate features for a console.

Top Bottom