• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erin Brockovich furious over Biden appointing former DuPont consultant to his Environmental Protection Agency transition board

Mahadev

Mar 5, 2007
Dupont was the chemical company that contaminated both its workers and the water of entire towns for many years and was class action sued to bankruptcy.

lol but I thought Biden would be good for the environment. Corporate shill replaces corporate shill and shockingly he prioritizes corporations over the environment, liberals SHOCKED, news at 11.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/19/dear-joe-biden-are-you-kidding-me-erin-brockovich

For years, I’ve been trying to impart a simple concept that Superman is not coming.

Dare I say, I had hopes that this new administration would usher in the dawning of a new day. As picks for President-elect Joe Biden’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) transition team were announced, I felt concerned and disheartened about a chemical industry insider being on the list. Are you kidding me?
Michael McCabe, a former employee of Biden and a former deputy Environmental Protection Agency administrator, later jumped ship to work as a consultant on communication strategy for DuPont during a time when the chemical company was looking to fight regulations of their star chemical perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) also known as C8. The toxic manmade chemical is used in everything from waterproof clothes, stain-resistant textiles and food packaging to non-stick pans. The compound has been linked to lowered fertility, cancer and liver damage. The Guardian reported this week that Harvard school of public health professor Philippe Grandjean, who studies environmental health, warns that PFAS chemicals, of which PFOA is one, might reduce the efficacy of a Covid-19 vaccine.

This smells of the dawn of the same old. To quote the Who: meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

It should go without saying that someone who advised DuPont on how to avoid regulations is not someone we want advising this new administration.

PFOA pollutes the blood of nearly every American and can pass from mother to unborn child in the womb. This toxic product of industry is a stable compound not easily broken down in the environment or in the human body, giving it the nickname “forever chemical”. Scientists have found it in living beings across the globe – from animals living in the depths of the sea to birds on remote islands.

The Environmental Protection Agency has set no enforceable national drinking water limits for perfluorinated chemicals, including PFOA. Tens of thousands of community drinking water systems across the country have never even tested for these contaminants.

McCabe started managing DuPont’s communications with the EPA about the toxic chemical in 2003, according to an article in the Intercept. This was the time in which DuPont faced a barrage of litigation after the company dumped 7,100 tons of PFOA-filled waste in West Virginia, which made its way into the drinking water of 100,000 people. Countless members of the community faced debilitating illnesses as a result. The legal battle with the company was turned into the film Dark Waters in 2019.

Mind you, DuPont suspected that their product was harmful since the 1960s – experiments they conducted in 1961 showed that PFOS affected the livers of dogs and rabbits. McCabe’s work inevitably contributed to staving off costly clean-up and additional regulation headaches for the company.

Are we the people supposed to trust a former DuPont man in a transition team tasked with reviewing the Chemical Safety Board? Is this how the newly elected leadership wants to start what is supposed to be a healing and unifying administration? Are we already falling back on the old and antiquated, hide-and-seek, conceal, dodge and deny leadership or are you going to come out and be the change and the hope needed when it comes to the environment?

I don’t see how picking someone from industry is moving us toward that goal.

The science is in. Research has linked exposure to this chemical to the following illnesses: kidney and testicular cancer, ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, pregnancy-induced hypertension and high cholesterol.

This newly elected president says we need to listen to the science. Are you really listening to the science or are you listening to an industry insider, who is controlling the message?

With a lack of federal guidance on these dangerous chemicals, states have been left to create their own rules to enforce guidance and regulations. This chemical, and others like it, have been poisoning us for decades. Now is the time to act.

This is not about being rightwing or leftwing. It doesn’t matter what side of the aisle you are on. We cannot keep making picks from this inside, leaving we the people, once again on the outside.

What will it take to get our leadership to work with the people?

Stop working against and separately from your communities. Put your transition team on the ground and make them talk with those affected by these chemicals. Go out and see for yourself, learn and hear from those who you represent about what the heck is happening to them on the ground – those living and breathing in the toxic mess we have created.

It is time to keep your promise and give the people a voice and a seat the table in order to find a meaningful solution for the environment and for the people. Don’t close the door on us again.

We are in this mess because we continue to do the same old thing.

Let us not forget where these chemicals came from and who is responsible for putting them in our environment. Let us not bring the fox back into the hen house. DuPont executives should have no place in the Environmental Protection Agency.

I call on Joe Biden to do the right thing.

I'm gonna say it, any lefty that believed in these neoliberal frauds is a fucking idiot. Not only they're not better but, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm quite sure warhawks and their "interventions" are bad for the environment, right?

Last edited:

Catphish

Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA
Dupont was the chemical company that contaminated both its workers and the water of entire towns for many years and was class action sued to bankruptcy.

lol but I thought Biden would be good for the environment. Corporate shill replaces corporate shill and shockingly he prioritizes corporations over the environment, liberals SHOCKED, news at 11.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/19/dear-joe-biden-are-you-kidding-me-erin-brockovich

I'm gonna say it, any lefty that believed in these neoliberal frauds is a fucking idiot. Not only they're not better but, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm quite sure warhawks and their "interventions" are bad for the environment, right?
Honestly, both sides are full of shit. Both sides kneel to the Military Industrial Complex. Just since 2000, we've had Bush & Co. (Republican/NeoConservative) and Obama & Co. (Democrat/NeoLiberal). And even before that, every president since Kennedy, regardless of party affiliation, had us involved in some kind of undeclared war. I don't think Trump is any more a champion of the average citizen than any other two-party presidential candidate, but he at least seems like he wasn't subservient to the MIC. And that probably has a lot to do with why he's on his way out.

sleepnaught

Jan 12, 2017
Shitty thing to do. I hope no one was under the illusion Biden was going to be anything other than a corporate centrist. Still, no worse than Trump's EPA head being a coal lobbyist who has sought to undermine the agency at every turn.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
They arent going to do shit about the climate, but they sure as hell are going to put on the appearance that they are
As always, they use "the climate" as a pretext to raise taxes, funnel money to their donors, and put middle class blue collar Americans out of work permanently.

Thing is, they found something in 2020 that works even better for that.

Arimer

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2018
This is what i told people when Biden was the candidate. HE spent decades in office being a corpirate sell out especially to the banks. And yet now you think he's going ot solve the problems he helped cause? No of course not. You might get some scraps thrown your way but he knows who pays the bills.

Reactions: TeezzyD

Mahadev

Mar 5, 2007
I'd much rather have the corporate shill side of the Democrats rather than the ultra woke side screeching from up high.

They're the same thing, they LARP as left by acting woke while they shill for corporations and bankers. The more the shill for them the more they need to compensate with ultra-woke bullshit.

I don't think Trump is any more a champion of the average citizen

He's not, he just does things, often accidentally, that benefit the average worker more than DNC's policies. For example his crusade against trade deals was very beneficial for the average American worker because trade deals only benefit the rich corporate fucks and their neoliberal puppets. TPP and TTIP would have been catastrophic for the American working class and millions of workers in other countries. Does this mean he's not a corporate shill that has prioritized corporate profits over people most of the time? No, no it doesn't.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
I'd much rather have the corporate shill side of the Democrats rather than the ultra woke side screeching from up high.
Then you're playing right into their hands.

They pay lip service to the screechers as a smokescreen in order to pass their corporate bullshit at the expense of the working class, and they use your fear of the screechers to make you think they're not so bad, just as they use the screechers' fear of Trump to make them think they're not so bad either.

spootime

Jul 27, 2007
TPP and TTIP would have been catastrophic for the American working class and millions of workers in other countries. Does this mean he's not a corporate shill that has prioritized corporate profits over people most of the time? No, no it doesn't.
Why? A strong anti-China stance is a good thing.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Oct 5, 2013
South Eastern part of the U.S.
Biden supports should not be surprised by this. Simply follow the money. Corporate America, Big Tech, and Wall ST. have fully funded NGD, BLM, and the DNC.

This isn't a people's revolution for the people. It's big business strong government Take over.
Most people who vote for Biden just wanted Trump out and don't care about the consequences.

Mahadev

Mar 5, 2007
Why? A strong anti-China stance is a good thing.

Because it was an international pro-corporate legislation that would make the state bound to corporate interests and workers easily expendable for the sake of corporate profit. Corporations would literally be able to sue government that would threaten their fucking profits and that's just one of the dozens of ways the working class would be affected negatively.

If that's what it takes to fight against China, thanks but no thanks, I'll take second place every time. Reminds me of EU that is practically forcing countries to slowly degrade the social safety net, privatize public utilities and other public interest organizations, ruin entire countries to save the fucking bankers but "OMG EUROPE UNITED IS STRONGER" and other bullshit excuses idiot europhiles use as that neoliberal cancer takes over more and more.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: playoverwork

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Trump also named plenty of corporate people with questionable records, but I guess y'all were fine with that?

lol

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Arkam

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Both Biden and Kamala are corporate shills, everyone knows that and it’s why the further left screeched so much and why moderate trump voters were able to not vote for trump.

America has a love for corporate shills, and the further left can’t beat that (they haven’t caught on yet though).

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Trump also named plenty of corporate people with questionable records, but I guess y'all were fine with that?

lol
Umm yes because Trump himself never stated he was against working for a corporation.

Biden campaigned on ideas like the green new deal, and appealing to these groups.

But as usual, Biden sycophants will run to Trump, as if this type of thing wasn't what Dems were supposedly campaigning against.

War, the environent, education, what else are you people hypocrites about?

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Democrats elect somebody who spent his entire life as a corporate-friendly Neoliberal and are upset when he doesn't turn into a progressive overnight? You gave him your vote already, what do you have left to bargain with? Nothing. Just like the last time this happened, and the time before that, and the time before that. Maybe progressives will learn someday.

The few liberal pundits who pointed out that progressives didn't owe Biden their vote before the election were dogpiled by the machine and voter shamed.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Jan 12, 2017
Umm yes because Trump himself never stated he was against working for a corporation.

Biden campaigned on ideas like the green new deal, and appealing to these groups.

But as usual, Biden sycophants will run to Trump, as if this type of thing wasn't what Dems were supposedly campaigning against.

War, the environent, education, what else are you people hypocrites about?
So, if corporate ownership of our government isn't a problem under Trump, why is it a problem under Biden? And if it isn't, why are you guys so upset over a Biden win? Moreover, why was the right hell bent on convincing every American the Biden administration would equal full on communism?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
So, if corporate ownership of our government isn't a problem under Trump, why is it a problem under Biden? And if it isn't, why are you guys so upset over a Biden win? Moreover, why was the right hell bent on convincing every American the Biden administration would equal full on communism?
Because Trump didn’t campaign to environmentalist groups and tell them he wouldn’t do this.

Because Trump didn’t make climate change a cornerstone of his campaign.

It was well known from the beginning that a Trump cabinet would be heavily influenced by the GOP, so seeing a heavy corporate influence wasn’t a surprise. Again, Biden explicitly ran against that, but now that he is in, we see what the truth really is. All that wall st donation money paying off

You can bitch about Trumps picks, but it would just be another example of typical liberal hypocrisy to hold the guy you didn’t vote for to a higher standard than the guy you did vote for.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: AetherMage

sleepnaught

Jan 12, 2017
Because Trump didn’t campaign to environmentalist groups and tell them he wouldn’t do this.

Because Trump didn’t make climate change a cornerstone of his campaign.

It was well known from the beginning that a Trump cabinet would be heavily influenced by the GOP, so seeing a heavy corporate influence wasn’t a surprise. Again, Biden explicitly ran against that, but now that he is in, we see what the truth really is. All that wall st donation money paying off

You can bitch about Trumps picks, but it would just be another example of typical liberal hypocrisy to hold the guy you didn’t vote for to a higher standard than the guy you did vote for.
You didn't answer my question. You told me why leftists should be upset over Biden; I'm asking why Republicans are upset over Biden.

Mahadev

Mar 5, 2007
You didn't answer my question. You told me why leftists should be upset over Biden; I'm asking why Republicans are upset over Biden.

I'll tell you why everyone, including Republicans, should be upset with modern liberals.

Because they're huge hypocrites whose obnoxious preachy tone and narrative amounts to a big fat nothing. They're all about aesthetics and none of the substance, they whined about Trump's pussy grabbing remarks which were pretty out of context and then buried stories about Biden being an actual fucking creep. They pretend to be anti-war and vote for warmongers. They pretend to be against corporate greed and vote for corporate puppets.

At the end of the day, the issue isn't even purely political, such people are highly obnoxious and have so little self-awareness that they automatically become poisonous to any discussion. I can argue with a Trump supporter even though I often fucking hate his opinions because at least they own up to them, I can't discuss with delusional liberals that tell me they're against war and then defend warmongering scum like Hillary Clinton or think Obama was the bestest president even even though he destroyed 3 countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam