• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA accidentally (?) doxes every E3 media invite

Psykotik

The Entertainment Software Association, better known as the ESA, has been violating the privacy of a list of media-related attendees for an undisclosed amount of time.

original source:

On a public link on the E3 website was a file with the private addresses, phone numbers, and names of over 2000 journalists and content creators.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What were they thinking?

giphy.gif

Harlock

It is called "Surprise Rings". You put your contact info with us and got weird people calling on your phone.

Reactions: CLW
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dual threads!

mod note: we've merged the two threads, timestamps might make a couple of posts read strange

It's undoubtedly negligent of ESA, but most of the reactions on Twitter seem a bit overblown.

The most that is going to happen is some pizzas will be sent to some doors this weekend.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Watch E3 next year will be canceled. This is huge clusterfuck that gives away all info on how to fake media passes/put yourself on the list.

Sheesh ... that was piss poor handling. Kind of funny that the term “accidental dox” was used though. It’s such a brain dead mistake.
Sony did it better
You know, even after that whole scuffle. No reports directly linking that leak to identity theft came out. Sony didn't even know if the data was really taken in a way it didn't corrupt.

Last edited:

Petrae

The ESA just made a lot of enemies in the gaming press, and you can bet that they’re out in full force on social media to broadcast their disgust.

Maybe this is the catalyst that kills E3 as we’ve known it, and turns it into a full-on fan convention instead, like a PAX LA. Then again, the next event is still 10 months away— plenty of time for everyone to forget that the ESA is a pile of goatshit and proceed like nothing happened.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Already seeing accusations of this being announced to the public as an attack on journalists.
EDIT: Which I can see the viewpoint there. Hope no one does anything crazy with that info.

Last edited:

Petrae

Already seeing accusations of this being announced to the public as an attack on journalists.
EDIT: Which I can see the viewpoint there. Hope no one does anything crazy with that info.

The ESA is fucked if even one person does anything crazy with that info. Hell, it might be fucked anyway if a lawsuit comes (which it should). With an insane a world as we live in today, the ESA may very well have put a group of people in serious jeopardy.

It’s sad, because there’s no reason to stalk or injure these people, even if they are dicks— and yet we kind of expect it now.

Antwix

So now we have adresses of every CEO?
A lot of people from actual companies like destructoid, gamestop, etc, just have the office address listed. However, many youtubes/influencers have their home addresses down to the apt#.

There are quite a bit of private cell phone numbers though

Shai-Tan

Banned
Don't be like that. Be better people. You wouldn't want this to happen to you so don't wish it on someone else.

Edit: quoted the wrong person. The point still stands though. This isn't something to be celebrated.

Yeah, some people in here should read Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed (or listen to it for free on audible with their free trial, or at least check out his interview #668 with Joe Rogan about it). There's a lot of people on the internet who think they're being righteous (or are using the cover) to justify being an asshole.

Last edited:
For those celebrating that gaming journalists are getting what they deserve, karma, etc.

I am one of the people affected by this data leak and forget games for a second and recognize this is real life.

I have a wife and 3 kids and now my home address is exposed to the world so any crazy person could knock on my door to start trouble because I said I didnt their favorite video game and lets not even go into female media members who live alone and were exposed by this breach.

So for this, lets save the personal snark and show some human decency for those of us that now need to make sure our privacy and safety is taken care of

BigBooper

Yeah, some people in here should read Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed (or listen to it for free on audible with their free trial, or at least check out his interview #668 with Joe Rogan about it). There's a lot of people on the internet who think they're being righteous (or are using the cover) to justify being an asshole.
I disagree. In the same way I don't mind a rioter being hit with a tazer or pepper spray, I don't mind these professional aggitators being bothered.

BigBooper

For those celebrating that gaming journalists are getting what they deserve, karma, etc.

I am one of the people affected by this data leak and forget games for a second and recognize this is real life.

I have a wife and 3 kids and now my home address is exposed to the world so any crazy person could knock on my door to start trouble because I said I didnt their favorite video game and lets not even go into female media members who live alone and were exposed by this breach.

So for this, lets save the personal snark and show some human decency for those of us that now need to make sure our privacy and safety is taken care of
If you're not a professional aggitator, I hope it doesn't end up affecting you at all.

The people who are making jokes about it being karma are not wanting innocents to be affected, but I obviously have no control over that and most of the big game press are not innocents.

Aranea

Sucks for those who had their info exposed. I suspect people will be hesitant to attend future E3 events now because of this.

cormack12

Gold Member
Sequence of events:

• Issue discovered and E3 alerted in Feb
  • No action was taken in response
  • Someone reached out to indie journalist (Sophie)
  • She alerted the site, no action
  • She reached out to someone at vice, who reported it again
  • The link was removed from the site, but the file was not
  • Sophie broke the story, under the impression the issue was fixed technically
  • Sophie broke the story becuse she had legitimate proof the list was already out there in someones hands and the victims had not been notified
  • Unfortunately when Sophie broke the story, the file still being hosted there meant people could view the 'cached' webpage
  • On the cached webpage the link still worked (because the file was still there)
  • The file was pulled, circulated and archived as a 'doxx'
  • KF, 8ch, 4ch, reddit linked to the archived file
  • File was eventually removed from the site
  • KF, 8ch, 4ch now being blamed for the initial doxx
  • Sophie being harassed for breaking the story
  • Most of the larger/well know names had business addresses and business phones
  • Some of the smaller indies and youtubers used personal addresses
  • A good portion used personal numbers
  • Some have received prank calls already and/or calls saying their personal data is in the public domain
  • Reality is most of this twitter stuff is reacting like these are foreign affair journalists or political correspondents conversing with dissidents and their cover is blown. Most have a layer of protection and those who don't will have to deal with a period of uncomfortability. Most of those who have actual personal details are too small to be relevant and aside from prank calls will have little to deal with either. The far bigger issue here is the inaction and the motive of keeping the file public and the relationship between the press and E3 going forward. It's also interesting to see the outlets without press passes.
That last point might seem a bit blunt or unsympathetic. But contextually it's probably accurate. I empathise with those getting calls from asshats but in most cases changing their number and dealing with some random pizza deliveries etc. will be the main outcome. For those like Geoff who seems to have used his parents address - well that increases the scope for mischief given his profile. I can understand people being furious and feeling vulnerable but the reaction seems to (again) be hastily trying to let the social media world that 'yes, I was affected and yes, I fear for my life!!'.

Last edited:

Petrae

Sucks for those who had their info exposed. I suspect people will be hesitant to attend future E3 events now because of this.

It’s proven that the ESA can’t be trusted with personal information, so I wouldn’t want to give them any more to “oops” away. The best thing would be for exhibitors to also not attend; kill E3 as it is and leave the ESA high and fucking dry. Something else will come along, if it’s considered that important.

Maybe the Dorito Pope can make his own extravaganza.

Enjay

Banned
Again, they fostered, nurtured, and championed this kind of behavior. This is justice. Sorry if it sucks for you but it is.

Tuxedo_Zeromus

Neo Member
I see a lot of names on that list belonging to people that have fucked over a lot of other people in the industry and community. Patrick Klepek for one is about to to have a real bad day, I think.

Shai-Tan

Banned
If you're not a professional aggitator, I hope it doesn't end up affecting you at all.

The people who are making jokes about it being karma are not wanting innocents to be affected, but I obviously have no control over that and most of the big game press are not innocents.

The problem with that reasoning, dividing up the world into a category of "agitators" and "innocents" is the internet, and in particular forums like KiA that attract whining about game journalists is composed of a disproportionate amount of morons who buy into simple minded narratives, conspiracy theories, endless insinuation, demonization, know-nothing speculation, feeding sad persecution complexes

Last edited:

kegkilla

Banned
Identify every """video game journalist""" on the list who spoke in favor of violence against Trump voters and others who don't cowtow to their cult. Then, beat them within an inch of their pathetic lives.

Last edited:

BigBooper

The problem with that reasoning, dividing up the world into a category of "agitators" and "innocents" is the internet, and in particular forums like KiA that attract whining about game journalists is composed of a disproportionate amount of morons who buy into simple minded narratives, conspiracy theories, endless insinuation, demonization, know-nothing speculation, feeding sad persecution complexes
I wouldn't defend them either, as I don't know them and I don't even know what that forum is. I guess I'm not as deep web as some people. The positive I would like to see come from this is that everyone will get some perspective on how bad targeted harassment campaigns are and maybe they will all back off on that kind of thing.

I'm not cheering on some escalating force internet war, but it would be a net positive if in the future the people affected will think twice about calling out the pitchfork mobs.

Mind, I don't really involve myself in that kind of thing either way. I haven't so much as looked at the leaked info.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I wouldn't defend them either, as I don't know them and I don't even know what that forum is. I guess I'm not as deep web as some people. The positive I would like to see come from this is that everyone will get some perspective on how bad targeted harassment campaigns are and maybe they will all back off on that kind of thing.

I'm not cheering on some escalating force internet war, but it would be a net positive if in the future the people affected will think twice about calling out the pitchfork mobs.

Mind, I don't really involve myself in that kind of thing either way. I haven't so much as looked at the leaked info.

One of the lessons from Jon Ronson's book is "targetted harassment campaigns" isn't what actually happens - it's a cascade of mob psychology piling on - and sharing support for people "getting what they deserve" is enabling of the behavior

BigBooper

If that is a point in the book, then he must have a different definition of targeted harassment.

When someone with a lot of influence, usually Twitter followers, says something like "a person will be at a place. It would be nice if someone brought them a milkshake," I would call that targeted harassment.

I don't know much about the guy, so I can't say it's accurate, but that sounds like he's just watering down the words to make the individuals less responsible for their actions.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
If that is a point in the book, then he must have a different definition of targeted harassment.

When someone with a lot of influence, usually Twitter followers, says something like "a person will be at a place. It would be nice if someone brought them a milkshake," I would call that targeted harassment.

I don't get the point you're aiming at other than minimization of bad behavior that doesn't fit a narrow category of incitement that rarely happens.

BigBooper

I don't get the point you're aiming at other than minimization of bad behavior that doesn't fit a narrow category of incitement that rarely happens.
I don't think I'm minimizing it, but you have made me reconsider that maybe the possibility of harassment would be enough to make them have second thoughts about calling out the mob.

I hope so.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't think I'm minimizing it, but you have made me reconsider that maybe the possibility of harassment would be enough to make them have second thoughts about calling out the mob.

I hope so.

More likely it's a recipe for mutual animosity and confirming of one's prejudices. It's ammunition to prove how awful you for not meeting minimal standards of good behavior so good luck with that.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
You ever hear the saying an armed society is a polite society? If that's what it takes, so be it.

I haven't seen good evidence that less anonymity makes people be nicer and even if it were this is a one sided relation considering the amount of anonymity of the typical "anime avatars" online.

And the saying your analogy is pointing to is on shaky empirical ground from what I've read on the topic (see Steven Pinker's book on violence)

Last edited:
Top Bottom