• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escapist Magazine - How Xbox Has Become the Most Consumer-Friendly of the Big Three

bRacing

Banned
Too dumb to realize that GamePass and xCloud are virtually the same as the DRM bullshit.
giphy.gif

Bryank75

Banned
A companies duty is to its investors and customers....

This 'consumer friendly' talk is pure bullshit, now you have xbox and pc using the large online player base of playstation as a crutch.

Cross play, cross save all that crap has to go. I invest in playstation and I want them to be aggressive in business.... Not act like a pack of pussies.

Psykodad

Banned
Too dumb to realize you didn't pay $60 + tax for the game you are renting and too dumb to realize as the name "cloud" gaming suggests it kinda only works by using the internet.
Completely missing the point, exactly what MS is going for.

CeeJay

That's literally the same excuse that was being used with original Xbox One.

Funny how MS didn't change at all, but rather a part of the gaming community.
That's why MS doesn't really care, they have a gullible target audience.
And it's painfully obvious, yet those people are willfully ignorant.
Pack it up with the same old story. Everyone who subs to Gamepass knows exactly what they are signing up for. Not everyone wants or needs to own their games and many can see a shit load of value in Gamepass. Just because you don't see that value doesn't give you some kind of intellectual high ground to call everyone else dumb from. If anything is you that looks dumb for repeating that same old shit in every positive Xbox thread.

Psykodad

Banned
You're not buying the game, what do you expect? I honestly don't think you even believe what ur saying here. To say you should have full rights on a rented game is nonsensical.
Ofcourse that's nonsensical. It also wasn't what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that MS is pushing their OG Xbox One plans again, as they have never denounced those to begin with.
All they did was put them on hold and put Spencer in the spotlight to smile bright while they were preparing to push it once again.

Psykodad

Banned
Now that DanielsM got banned for shitting up Xbox and MS threads with a particular focus on Game Pass discussion, are you taking over for him?
I'm addressing the topic, how is that shitting up threads?

The article claims MS changed, I just say they didn't.

Pack it up with the same old story. Everyone who subs to Gamepass knows exactly what they are signing up for. Not everyone wants or needs to own their games and many can see a shit load of value in Gamepass. Just because you don't see that value doesn't give you some kind of intellectual high ground to call everyone else dumb from. If anything is you that looks dumb for repeating that same old shit in every positive Xbox thread.
Nice and all, but I'm not even active in the majority of xbox threads.

Last edited:
A companies duty is to its investors and customers....

This 'consumer friendly' talk is pure bullshit, now you have xbox and pc using the large online player base of playstation as a crutch.

Cross play, cross save all that crap has to go. I invest in playstation and I want them to be aggressive in business.... Not act like a pack of pussies.

Funny, because your idea would piss off a lot of Playstation customers who also happen to be Microsoft and/or Nintendo customers, too. So Sony would be both anti-consumer and losing customer financial support in that instance 👍

Ofcourse that's nonsensical. It also wasn't what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that MS is pushing their OG Xbox One plans again, as they have never denounced those to begin with.
All they did was put them on hold and put Spencer in the spotlight to smile bright while they were preparing to push it once again.

As is the rest of the industry, including Google, Apple, Amazon, and...Sony....

Most of those XBO plans have already come about by other companies (including Sony) since 2013. So you're just rattling and flapping gums into the air over a nothingburger. Gamepass and Xcloud give people more choices, not less. You aren't having your physical games stripped away if you subscribe. You aren't having your right to purchase the game outright stripped away by subscribing, either.

Both Microsoft and Sony have the same plans for game streaming and other service-orientated plans going forward, why else do you think Sony is using Azure servers, purchased Gaikai, has PS Now etc.? They aren't going to sit on those things and let competitors destroy them in those areas if they can do something about it, that's why they are utilizing MS's own servers. MS has simply been more transparent about it, whereas Sony doesn't talk about it as much while still introducing the same features.

You're being ran by paranoia, it's embarrassing.

Psykodad

Banned
Funny, because your idea would piss off a lot of Playstation customers who also happen to be Microsoft and/or Nintendo customers, too. So Sony would be both anti-consumer and losing customer financial support in that instance 👍

Most of those XBO plans have already come about by other companies (including Sony) since 2013. So you're just rattling and flapping gums into the air over a nothingburger. Gamepass and Xcloud give people more choices, not less. You aren't having your physical games stripped away if you subscribe. You aren't having your right to purchase the game outright stripped away by subscribing, either.

Both Microsoft and Sony have the same plans for game streaming and other service-orientated plans going forward, why else do you think Sony is using Azure servers, purchased Gaikai, has PS Now etc.? They aren't going to sit on those things and let competitors destroy them in those areas if they can do something about it, that's why they are utilizing MS's own servers. MS has simply been more transparent about it, whereas Sony doesn't talk about it as much while still introducing the same features.

Paranoia, sure.

I'm not even that bothered by what MS does. I should just quote multiple people in one single post when responding to the same thing s next time, people seem to read wayy to much into it.

But yeah, the others do those things as well. Difference being that MS does very little else and only shows how much they care for their customers on the surface.

I don't even blame them for doing so, there clearly is a market for it. That much is obvious.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
He got banned again? Fuck lol. That guy was gold fuckin entertainment 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Even with how many passes sony warriors get on here for trolling, he managed to earn back to back bans lol what a champ.

Yep, hopefully it's perma ban this time. Think about it, with all the good Xbox news and positive threads these last few days do you honestly think he wouldn't be shitting them up non-stop 24/7? He'd probably wear his keyboard out if he wasn't banned.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Yep, hopefully it's perma ban this time. Think about it, with all the good Xbox news and positive threads these last few days do you honestly think he wouldn't be shitting them up non-stop 24/7? He'd probably wear his keyboard out if he wasn't banned.

These warriors are getting so mad they're not even using common sense to post. Oh well, i just hope the news gets better and better.

Bryank75

Banned

Only Xbox and Nintendo fans want those stupid, useless features on a PlayStation... it's equivalent to port begging.

SleepDoctor

Banned
its just weird to me because, in my stupid eyes (I guess?), having two powerful consoles is a good thing for everyone. Why can’t we love both the PS5 and XsX?

Some people are just too broke to afford both so they justify it by hating one.

I couldn't care less for Nintendo and i don't go in all their threads crying or trolling. Best part is most of the "hardcore" trolls are in their 30s to 40s lol. That's quite an accomplishment.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Still doesn't have any games on it i want to play enough to convince me to buy another xbox. So wonderful, it's a friendly doorstop. Call me when it has a robust library of exclusives worth playing.
How many times I tell you to stop drinking sea water, my guy?? HOW MANY TIMES???? Now you salty AF and thirsty as hell! Think of the children!!!!

Only Xbox and Nintendo fans want those stupid, useless features on a PlayStation... it's equivalent to port begging.

That's a reductionist argument if I've ever heard one. Like it or not cross-play and cross-game saves, etc. are becoming the new standard. You're being no different from PS2 diehards back in the day who thought online gaming was the greatest evil ever made, or PS3 diehards who vehemently hated motion controls, or PS4 diehards who shat all over backwards compatibility.

Every single time, they suddenly change their tune once Sony adopts those features or policies. An amazing coincidence, but you'd think by now they would know better to see the benefits of a feature without waving around their brand loyalty like a sports flag. The lesson is never learned it seems (and that goes to delusional diehards in general including Microsoft and Nintendo ones. But it's the Sony ones who seem to be walking on eggshells this week :S)

Paranoia, sure.

I'm not even that bothered by what MS does. I should just quote multiple people in one single post when responding to the same thing s next time, people seem to read wayy to much into it.

But yeah, the others do those things as well. Difference being that MS does very little else and only shows how much they care for their customers on the surface.

I don't even blame them for doing so, there clearly is a market for it. That much is obvious.

Subjective opinion; there are people in this very thread who disagree with you on that. Because from this I can guess you mean "lack of Sony-styles" or "lack of Nintendo-style games". Well, the platform technically has some of both, but obviously if their entire 1st party line went completely in either of those directions, they'd be accused of plagiarism.

You don't have to personally like what's being offered from them on the 1st party front, but it's kind of ridiculous to say they are offering little else. They're just offering little else that you aren't particularly interested in and that's cool. But that's not an opinion rooted in actual objective facts, outside of your perspective.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Some people are just too broke to afford both so they justify it by hating one.

I couldn't care less for Nintendo and i don't go in all their threads crying or trolling. Best part is most of the "hardcore" trolls are in their 30s to 40s lol. That's quite an accomplishment.

I can afford both, I just don't like anything about Playstation including their sacred exclusives.

I wish I liked Nintendo games, because I love Nintendo. The original NES is what got me addicted to gaming in the first place and I think the Switch is super cool. I did play BotW on my old roommate's Switch and liked it , but the rest of their games just don't appeal to me.

Psykodad

Banned
Subjective opinion; there are people in this very thread who disagree with you on that. Because from this I can guess you mean "lack of Sony-styles" or "lack of Nintendo-style games". Well, the platform technically has some of both, but obviously if their entire 1st party line went completely in either of those directions, they'd be accused of plagiarism.

You don't have to personally like what's being offered from them on the 1st party front, but it's kind of ridiculous to say they are offering little else. They're just offering little else that you aren't particularly interested in and that's cool. But that's not an opinion rooted in actual objective facts, outside of your perspective.
It works both ways.

But yeah, if you want to talk objective facts, we can just look at sales and reviews scores and whatnot.
Next-gen is unproven, but PR-wise I don't see how MS does such an outstanding job.

And I definitely don't agree with the sentinent that MS is the most consumer-friendly company of the big three.
I'd actually argue that they've been the least consumer-friendly company since day 1.

Gavon West

That's literally the same excuse that was being used with original Xbox One.

Funny how MS didn't change at all, but rather a part of the gaming community.
That's why MS doesn't really care, they have a gullible target audience.
And it's painfully obvious, yet those people are willfully ignorant.
Until Sony does it, right? RIGHT????

Bryank75

Banned
That's a reductionist argument if I've ever heard one. Like it or not cross-play and cross-game saves, etc. are becoming the new standard. You're being no different from PS2 diehards back in the day who thought online gaming was the greatest evil ever made, or PS3 diehards who vehemently hated motion controls, or PS4 diehards who shat all over backwards compatibility.

Every single time, they suddenly change their tune once Sony adopts those features or policies. An amazing coincidence, but you'd think by now they would know better to see the benefits of a feature without waving around their brand loyalty like a sports flag. The lesson is never learned it seems (and that goes to delusional diehards in general including Microsoft and Nintendo ones. But it's the Sony ones who seem to be walking on eggshells this week :S)

PlayStation is the Apple of gaming as far as I am concerned, they have the largest ecosystem, the largest number of users and the most potential.

Saying that something is 'becoming the new standard' is like saying why don't Apple just use Android or allow the Android store onto iOS.....

Like... how is the industry 'going that way' if PlayStation just crushed the competition this generation with Aaaaaaall these perceived 'anti-consumer' nonsense. Nobody gives a toss about that shit except communist pricks on Reee and a few other moaning sods on twitter and none of them probably own a PlayStation.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I can afford both, I just don't like anything about Playstation including their sacred exclusives.

I wish I liked Nintendo games, because I love Nintendo. The original NES is what got me addicted to gaming in the first place and I think the Switch is super cool. I did play BotW on my old roommate's Switch and liked it , but the rest of their games just don't appeal to me.

I don't see you in every Sony thread crying tho. Get my point? Not everyone has to like everything.

Gavon West

So Xbox has become the most consumer friendly by....Game Pass? "Smart Delivery?"
"While Sony has a decent selection of legacy PS3 games available via PS Now, the older library is certainly lacking. "

This article reeks of shill. I guess 800+ games on PSNow is "certainly lacking."
No. But 700 booty stank games..... maybe?? I can't call it bro...

Goalus

PS4's game library is underwhelming unfortunately, that's why I haven't bought one yet either.

If the price comes down to $79, I might consider buying one, but playing the exclusive games would probably still feel like a waste of time.

McCheese

Sony already said they are doing the same thing to wired magazine months ago, not to mention they did a similar thing with Vita/PS3 cross-buy titles.

But congrats Microsoft I guess.

It works both ways.

But yeah, if you want to talk objective facts, we can just look at sales and reviews scores and whatnot.
Next-gen is unproven, but PR-wise I don't see how MS does such an outstanding job.

And I definitely don't agree with the sentinent that MS is the most consumer-friendly company of the big three.
I'd actually argue that they've been the least consumer-friendly company since day 1.

Review scores? MS 1st party titles have done pretty well overall this gen. I'm not the kind of person who says a game needs a 95 Meta in order to be good, but it's also not like most XBO 1st party releases have been in the 70s range, either. That's only been the domain of the odd Recore. Stuff like Crackdown 3 are very much the exception (doesn't take away from it being a bit of a clusterfuck though). And it's not like all of Sony or Nintendo's 1st party have scored 90+ this gen, either, people just exaggerate it more when it's a MS title that falls lower than that due to XBO's current market position.

Sales don't tell the whole story, either. Not every Sony 1st party sells Uncharted numbers. Not every Nintendo 1st party sells BoTW numbers. It's crazy to use sales as the end-all metric without even considering things like budget and marketing, or internal revenue targets, or other metrics of revenue and profit like engagement and DLC content. SFV for example, it's sold pretty badly since its launch but it's been very profitable thanks both to DLC content sales and the sponsorships. Per-unit one-and-done sales are losing relevance as the single-biggest metric (plus let's not kid ourselves, sales for games like Uncharted 4 were massively boosted thanks to pack-in bundles with PS4s and being discounted from full-price months after initial sales came through).

MS's been much more communicative than Sony so far in terms of next-gen messaging, that's my honest opinion. Sony was doing good for a bit with the Wired articles, but sometime late November and definitely in December, it just feels like they shat the bed. The logo reveal at CES was "neat", but I took it as a bit of an insult as well. Like they were trolling their fans, or at least insulting my intelligence. Playstation is one of their marquee consumer electronic products, is it not? I'd say it's the most important product to the company now, and all they could do for CES was a generic-ish logo? Why not at least show off the controller and mention its new features, if they didn't want to talk system specs or show off the system design? CES was a wasted opportunity for PS5 messaging IMHO...Instagram likes notwithstanding (speaking of which, all this social media stuff from Sony lately's reminding me of Disney's "wine moms", and Disney's been messing a lot of stuff up themselves lately. So that's another thing I don't like).

When people talk about MS being more consumer-friendly, they're mainly talking about the Xbox side of things. Trust me, I know about MS's history. I know how they basically wormed their way into power on the PC with Windows and Internet Explorer. But that stuff's also in the past, and if MS didn't do it, someone else certainly would've. It's not like Sony or Nintendo haven't pulled questionable stuff in the past either, both business-wise and consumer-wise, or are we going to forget about Gamecube's mini-disc format, or PS Vita's ridiculous proprietary memory cards (part of the reason the Vita failed tbh)? If you want to contextualize those as creative decisions or business decisions, by that logic we can do the same with RROD, it's not like MS intentionally set out to screw people over with faulty systems (StopSkeletonsFromFighting did a really good video on RROD worth watching; they even mention the warranty MS gave to all people purchasing 360s during that time frame. Sounds pretty pro-consumer to me).

I just kind of tire of the double-standard, or people taking anything even remotely positive a company does (Microsoft, in this case; people do this too with Sony and Nintendo but there's been a lot less of that happening lately) and spinning it into being some vile attack against gaming. When in reality, it's almost always more them turning it into a perceived attack against their preferred brand because the other brand is doing something the common person would likely see as a good thing, and therefore it has to be attacked. It's just such a juvenile mindset to me, and the worst part is odds are it's a grown-ass person doing it xD!!!

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Review scores? MS 1st party titles have done pretty well overall this gen. I'm not the kind of person who says a game needs a 95 Meta in order to be good, but it's also not like most XBO 1st party releases have been in the 70s range, either. That's only been the domain of the odd Recore. Stuff like Crackdown 3 are very much the exception (doesn't take away from it being a bit of a clusterfuck though). And it's not like all of Sony or Nintendo's 1st party have scored 90+ this gen, either, people just exaggerate it more when it's a MS title that falls lower than that due to XBO's current market position.

Sales don't tell the whole story, either. Not every Sony 1st party sells Uncharted numbers. Not every Nintendo 1st party sells BoTW numbers. It's crazy to use sales as the end-all metric without even considering things like budget and marketing, or internal revenue targets, or other metrics of revenue and profit like engagement and DLC content. SFV for example, it's sold pretty badly since its launch but it's been very profitable thanks both to DLC content sales and the sponsorships. Per-unit one-and-done sales are losing relevance as the single-biggest metric (plus let's not kid ourselves, sales for games like Uncharted 4 were massively boosted thanks to pack-in bundles with PS4s and being discounted from full-price months after initial sales came through).

MS's been much more communicative than Sony so far in terms of next-gen messaging, that's my honest opinion. Sony was doing good for a bit with the Wired articles, but sometime late November and definitely in December, it just feels like they shat the bed. The logo reveal at CES was "neat", but I took it as a bit of an insult as well. Like they were trolling their fans, or at least insulting my intelligence. Playstation is one of their marquee consumer electronic products, is it not? I'd say it's the most important product to the company now, and all they could do for CES was a generic-ish logo? Why not at least show off the controller and mention its new features, if they didn't want to talk system specs or show off the system design? CES was a wasted opportunity for PS5 messaging IMHO...Instagram likes notwithstanding (speaking of which, all this social media stuff from Sony lately's reminding me of Disney's "wine moms", and Disney's been messing a lot of stuff up themselves lately. So that's another thing I don't like).

When people talk about MS being more consumer-friendly, they're mainly talking about the Xbox side of things. Trust me, I know about MS's history. I know how they basically wormed their way into power on the PC with Windows and Internet Explorer. But that stuff's also in the past, and if MS didn't do it, someone else certainly would've. It's not like Sony or Nintendo haven't pulled questionable stuff in the past either, both business-wise and consumer-wise, or are we going to forget about Gamecube's mini-disc format, or PS Vita's ridiculous proprietary memory cards (part of the reason the Vita failed tbh)? If you want to contextualize those as creative decisions or business decisions, by that logic we can do the same with RROD, it's not like MS intentionally set out to screw people over with faulty systems (StopSkeletonsFromFighting did a really good video on RROD worth watching; they even mention the warranty MS gave to all people purchasing 360s during that time frame. Sounds pretty pro-consumer to me).

I just kind of tire of the double-standard, or people taking anything even remotely positive a company does (Microsoft, in this case; people do this too with Sony and Nintendo but there's been a lot less of that happening lately) and spinning it into being some vile attack against gaming. When in reality, it's almost always more them turning it into a perceived attack against their preferred brand because the other brand is doing something the common person would likely see as a good thing, and therefore it has to be attacked. It's just such a juvenile mindset to me, and the worst part is odds are it's a grown-ass person doing it xD!!!
That's a wall of text full of nothing, since it's generally accepted that this gen has been underwhelming at best for MS.

You can twist it into me being a fanboy, but honestly the only competition Sony has is Nintendo and you never hear me ranting about them.
Know why? They actually focus on gaming, as does Sony.
That's the difference between those 2 and MS.
And MS being the most consumer-friendly is just laughable.

How you and some others manage to repeatedly twist my words into fanboy drivel says more about you, if anything.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
He's got plenty of fellow travellers to take his place.

Top Bottom