• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escapist Magazine: The Reason I Don’t Play Multiplayer Games Is Turning Me Off Single-Player Games

Once upon a time, it was geographical barriers. I didn’t play multiplayer games because you can’t on a dial-up internet connection. When that barrier vanished, I dabbled in multiplayer — a racer here, a shooter there, a LittleBigPlanet, or an always-online survival game. None of them grabbed me enough to make me want to spend 10, 20, 100 hours in their worlds, not in the way Skyrim, Valkyria Chronicles, or Heavy Rain did.

I enjoyed campaigns. The stories may not always have been up to scratch, but those campaigns were wonderfully paced. Moments of high action followed by moments of peace, a new weapon or a new mechanic just as things were getting stale. Challenges didn’t just get harder; they got smarter.

Contrast that to most multiplayer games, where you do the same things on the same maps over and over. Variation may come from the individual strategies of opposing players, and that may force you to play tactically. However, there’s no flow. It’s a staccato burst of activity without linkages and without any clear idea of progression in mechanics or narrative. No matter how interested I may be to trial a new multiplayer game, the absence of any progression systems beyond the meta of prestige, light levels, or whatever fancy name a developer wants to give the numbers game devolves the experience of play into rote, endless repetition.

And repetition is hell.

I’ve recently been making a dent in my backlog, games I’ve been wanting to play for years but have never found the time for — DOOM, Tomb Raider, Sunset Overdrive, etc. — and I’m having an adverse reaction. Once upon a time, I enjoyed these types of games: Wolfenstein: The New Order, Uncharted, and inFamous held me in thrall. These newer games? Not so much.

The reason for that, I think, is that they draw heavily from the multiplayer design mindset. Like always-online/games-as-a-service games, their philosophy centers on keeping players engaged for as long as possible, usually in an open or semi-open world. The style may well have its merits as a business model, but the result is that these games end up replicating the cycle of endless repetition that so afflicts multiplayer experiences.

The design goes several ways. The first way is the domain of RAGE 2 and, to a lesser extent, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, where players can prioritize the amassing of core gameplay abilities early. The result is that combat encounters and traversal challenges become indistinct, as they must be designed for the free-form gaining of new skills. In these games, among others, some abilities continue to be locked behind story progress, but the drive to gain access to them is lessened. The pacing is in pieces because of the structures of freedom.

I was excited to play the new Tomb Raider games. Mostly critically acclaimed and widely compared to the Uncharted games (which I loved), surely they would be what I was looking for. The mechanical development of the reboot was well-paced, but the game itself was bloated by too many gunfights, traversal challenges, and side activities that were a chore. In the sequels, doubling down on the survival elements, tying new abilities to a skill tree, and locking areas behind items that had to be found later or purchased (thereby necessitating the revisiting of hubs in a transparent engagement attempt) exacerbated the issues from the first game and robbed the sequels of any sense of a paced adventure. Knowing that is the standard for Metroidvanias, I haven’t had the stomach to try Control or Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, despite the acclaim.

Similarly, after relishing Wolfenstein: The New Order and The New Colossus, Youngblood was a mess of repetition, forcing players to retread the same locations and kill the same enemy swarms time and time again. Eventually you get to break into a tower and face down a real challenge, but it’s just not worth the time and effort to get to that point.

The encroachment of the open world into almost everything and the Metroidvania format into everything else means that pacey games tested and pitched to ensure constant engagement across a finite period are being systematically eradicated. These designs create bloated adventures that break the fundamental principle of fiction: the journey.

Instead of a carefully crafted ludonarrative combining the variable pacing that gives stories peaks and troughs with a constantly evolving suite of abilities, I play an amorphous blob of content. Instead of challenges that force me to think of new ways to take advantage of particular weapons and environmental design, I am mobbed by endless swarms of bullet sponges. Instead of clarity of purpose, I get the freedom to acquire resources and random side quests in a hollow copy of capitalism’s grand goal of wealth accumulation. Instead of a journey, I get repetition.

I enjoy these games for an hour or two, but then I start to feel bored. I press on. Occasionally my efforts are rewarded with a moment that breaks the tedium, but those are rare. By the time I’m halfway through a campaign, I wish it were over because the second half is sure to be void of genuine surprises. Instead, the same patterns of traversal, collection, and battle will play out over and over until the credits finally, mercifully roll.

Once the domain of RPGs whose designers understood the value of open-ended progression and then co-opted by multiplayer designers as a means of marking progress, ever-increasing numbers have infested single-player games, and they are suffering as a result. They are becoming repetitive and indistinguishable, and I find myself wanting to tune out and turn off.

But “not all games,” some readers will certainly cry, and “not all games” is accurate. Last year’s A Plague Tale: Innocence and Devil May Cry 5 were notable exceptions. Looking forward, The Last of Us: Part II and Psychonauts 2 hold promise, but new games that aren’t overtly interested in freedom, pointless side quests, and the seeming entropy of repetition that springs from those traits are despairingly thin on the ground.

Hope springs eternal in the indie sector — The Occupation, Draugen, Tacoma, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, and My Friend Pedro stand out — but those games often fall short of the oomph, the polish, the sheer excitement of AAA adventures. Too many developers have embraced what is no doubt seen as the possibilities of powerful hardware to create entire worlds, with the result being that those worlds are misused and lose their ability to excite.

He sounds like a moron, to be frankly honest.
Haha this is the issue with keeping my replies short. I don't dislike him, but what he seems to like doesn't align with what I like.

He wants story-rich games where it's paced a particular way. Gaming for him is a journey and that's cool.

As for me, what I like about multiplayer games (mostly PVP) is the sense of progression in knowing your own skills (mechanical and mental) have evolved and when you get that perfect read on an opponent...woot!

Last edited:

Quezacolt

So many studios only seem to want to make open world games nowadays, at least the AAA ones. I'm getting kinda tired of it, i'd rather have a more linear game, with cool levels.

I want a new splinter cell, but i fear that ubisoft might try to make it an open world...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
His beef is "repetition is hell" and then cites Devil May Cry as an example of a "notable exception"?

Yeah, ok.

Virex

Banned
Obligatory

dDuMB4v.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Instead of a carefully crafted ludonarrative...

Oh another chump who wants videogame narrative to sweep him off his feet.

Snore.

I do agree, however, with the complaints that Metroidvania / roguelike mechanics are creeping through each and every genre to add its predictable "twist". I remember when shooting mechanics made their way through every genre, resulting in stuff like XCOM: Enforcer and C&C Renegade and I remember when Bioshock came out and now every shooter needs some RPG elements. It goes in cycles.

Years ago when the board game Dominion came out, it seemed like every new game was trying its own spin on the "deckbuilding as you go" mechanic. There was even an Uncharted board game that used deckbuilding (to a lesser degree). All of these clones and spinoffs were good enough to grab attention, but the style grew stale for me. It doesn't mean all those clones were bad. It just means it grew stale for me because I watched the genesis and saw how many there were.

I think what the author is experiencing is that natural curve when you have more than enough good games to play, they all start appearing bland, not because they're bad or samey but because that's how our brains operate. We are attracted to novelty and repulsed by sameyness.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
I kind of agree here, a single player experience where its just you and the game and its story is a rare occurrence these days.

Nowadays you constantly have to deal with the Todd Howards of the industry constantly trying to “engage“ with you as he puts it because the cunts can’t fathom a world where they are not charging you for every second of play time.

Fbh

Can't say I agree with much of what he is saying.
Sounds like what he just prefers very linear and hopefully scripted games. Which is why he apparently loves Naughty Dog Style games or why he thought DMC5 wasn't "repetitive" despite the fact that most of what you do in that game is walk in a straight line from one combat arena to the next to fight a rather limited selection of enemies.

I also fail to see how things like Sekiro or Doom 2016 have been influenced by multiplayer games. Like ok I agree that some games have too much busy work, that bloat is an issue with most open world games and that some companies have taken the quantity over quality approach in regards to content......... but DOOM and Sekiro?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Armorian

Banned
I liked KZ2 and UC2 multiplayer 10 years ago but since then I didn't play much MP or even at all. Watching movies, tv series, anime, reading books and playing SP games gives you a clear goal, MP is just a waste ot time IMO.

Ballthyrm

Instead of a carefully crafted ludonarrative...

Oh another chump who wants videogame narrative to sweep him off his feet.

The problem with this perspective is not the fast that they are expecting narrative from games.
The problem is that they don't look for it in other medium where it is the strong suit first (books, tv, movies)

To lazy to read to get good characters and yet expect every game to be a novel.

My recommend solution, turn off the screen, read a book, if you like stories so much ffs

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The problem with this perspective is not the fast that they are expecting narrative from games.
The problem is that they don't look for it in other medium where it is the strong suit first (books, tv, movies)

To lazy to read to get good characters and yet expect every game to be a novel.

My recommend solution, turn off the screen, read a book, if you like stories so much ffs
I won't begrudge anyone who wants to get that out of their games. Entire genres serve that market, from pure text adventures to "walking simulators" to action games with a lot of cutscenes or whatever.

But in the same way that it would be unusual for a racing-game fan to whine about the lack of steering options in the newest Puyo Puyo or a fighting-game fan to lament that DOOM offers no combos, it is weird to me that "muh ludonarrative" is applied to games and to genres where it really doesn't apply.

It is almost as though the buzzword caught on with journo types who wanted to sound smart and they broad-brushed it across an industry they didn't really comprehend all that well. :pie_thinking:

wingsfan242

Gameumentary Film Editor
Hello, EIC of Escapist again. Second time OP, MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima , you've shared the full text of our article here which is pretty much just plagiarism at this point. I and the writers of these pieces very much appreciate them being shared here and discussed, but I really have to ask that it's limited to a summary and not the entire text of the article....understand not wanting to deal with ads or any of that stuff, but sharing the full article is just unfair to those that are working to make a living off their writing.

Thanks.

sol_bad

I can understand this argument for Ubisoft games. Sony's Spider-Man is pretty bad with the side missions too. I'll still be there day 1 for Spidey w as I'm sure Insomniac will improve the side missions.

Ubisoft though, I have zero interest in buying their games from the past 4 years.

Horizon had a lot of repeat side missions too but it didn't bore me for some reason. Maybe because I loved the world that was set up?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess I'm the minority.

I don't play games for stories. I play for fun and gameplay. If I wanted academy award winning scripts and plots I'd watch Roots.

I typically skip through all dialogue screens (except Mass Effect where you have to read and choose the speech tree you want).

My fav genres which are sports, shooters, WRPG, Diablo loot clickers, and puzzle games have basically zero scripts. Sports and puzzlers have zero, and shooters, RPGs and Diablo scripts are filled with epic plots like...... grab a gun or sword and kill everything that moves.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Yes, single player games, particularly of the open world type, have way too much busywork shit thrown in.
I guess I'm the minority.

I don't play games for stories. I play for fun and gameplay. If I wanted academy award winning scripts and plots I'd watch Roots.

I typically skip through all dialogue screens (except Mass Effect where you have to read and choose the speech tree you want).

My fav genres which are sports, shooters, WRPG, Diablo loot clickers, and puzzle games have basically zero scripts. Sports and puzzlers have zero, and shooters, RPGs and Diablo scripts are filled with epic plots like...... grab a gun or sword and kill everything that moves.

It’s the reason why Ubisoft sales are tanking. You can only play so much of the same thing before it gets old.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes, single player games, particularly of the open world type, have way too much busywork shit thrown in.
It’s the reason why Ubisoft sales are tanking. You can only play so much of the same thing before it gets old.
Yup.

I loved playing Skyrim and Fallouts, but man even I got burnt out. If a new Skyrim and Fallout 5 came out in 2020, I don't think I'd even bother unless it was really different and improved, or it hit the bargain bin.

Call of Duty is the same. I played it a ton back in the day. I barely touch it now, and some years I even skip it.

But it still sells tons..... the usual 20 million copies. Not sure how many are longtime gamers, and who are new. There's got to be some kind of attrition/newcomer ratio out there. Put me in the attrition camp.

Last edited:
One point I strongly agree on is that pacing is important and even if a game isn't story-focused, the pacing of how it introduces mechanics, challenges etc. is something to consider.

Also, until we have amazing AI in games that can direct them in real time, freedom and pacing is almost always going to be diametrically opposite.

Biggest issue with games today is that all of them want to be open world. Give me heavy story driven linear games. To me games are like reading a book.

Im getting burned out from these games where I have to keep abandoning the story because i am forced to explore the map due to their mechanics so they just throw in random non sensical missions just as an excuse for their massive map that doesn't have much going on.

Half-Life 2 never felt small, ot gave you enough space to feel scale but it set you on a straight journey and kept the story momentum going.

Top Bottom