• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escapist runs piece on Star Citizen employee woes. Disputed sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...ce=facebook&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all

"IT WAS INCREDIBLY TOXIC. I HAD TO GET OUT."
According to several sources, being an employee of Cloud Imperium Games meant subjecting yourself to public insults, screaming, profanity, racism, and stress so powerful that some people would become physically ill.

"I realized it was affecting my health, my home life. I needed to get out. So I left. I had no job lined up. I just had to get out. I looked at my situation, I had enough in savings, so I left," CS3 told me. "I couldn't take it. It was by far the most toxic environment I have ever worked in. No one had clear direction about how to do their jobs well. No one was empowered to do their jobs well. Everything was second guessed, and the default reaction to everything was blame and yelling and emails with all capital letters and curse words."

CHAIRMAN'S RESPONSE: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Oh boy. I'm interested in this game but haven't followed it after all. Does it have a release date yet?

I guess these problems explain why it's taken so long

Oh man

And Im just thinking of all the Star Citizen defenders that were around during the last controversy

IS or isnt this going to be something tangible

I realize this employee account is simply an anecdote but for reals

Joco

I backed on Kickstarter but lost interest when it became clear they were going to sell ships at ridiculous prices throughout development. Felt very much like a pay-to-win thing was going on (or at least pay to be better).

Zader

Banned
Welp, I get the feeling we're never going to see a complete Star Citizen. I fully expect to see much more controversy regarding Cloud Imperium

KKRT00

I backed on Kickstarter but lost interest when it became clear they were going to sell ships at ridiculous prices throughout development. Felt very much like a pay-to-win thing was going on (or at least pay to be better).

But bigger ships are not better ;/

---

" Everything was second guessed, and the default reaction to everything was blame and yelling and emails with all capital letters and curse words.""
Yeah okay ... Dereck Smart is that You?

Kssio_Aug

I feel sorry for those who upgraded the PC for that game, since it apparently doesn't even have a release date.

The premise sounds cool. If they ever finish it, it may end up being a very awesome game. But that seems to me a very risky project to bet some money...

Doesnt GAF have a few big Star Citizen supporters?

I would love to see where things have progressed for those on the "inside" since the last hit piece

stuminus3

Chris Roberts said:
I know that every company goes through such things, especially with regards to unhappy former employees.
No they don't, Chris. Only the ones that have been shitty.

QaaQer

Comes off with a level of hubris but Star Citizen players have had actual stuff to play around with for awhile now and they seem happy with their current investment last I heard

I dunno

I'm glad (not sarcastic).

I was stunned at the survey results though that broke down amount paid vs income bracket of the base. There are some poor folks putting big dollars in this game, I imagine the emotional investment they have is huge.

As someone who used to love the site, expect a lot of The Escapist articles to be clickbait and very biased nowadays. I'm completely indifferent to Star Citizen but take almost anything from that website now with a few grains of salt.

oti

Banned
backers be like

a0a27e50-dfc9-0132-bffc-0a13eebe068d.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
On the one hand, I've been skeptical about Star Citizen delivering for a while now, but on the other Derek Smart is clearly an abject piece of human garbage, so it's hard to know what to make of all this.

I was stunned at the survey results though that broke down amount paid vs income bracket of the base. There are some poor folks putting big dollars in this game, I imagine the emotional investment they have is huge.

I would have preferred they made a relatively smaller game to get their feet wet and build form there

Instead they have opted to go to the most extreme version of Early Access model/minecraft development

I dunno... I guess time will tell but with something of this scale and cost time really works against you on an exponential level

Smaller early access titles never had to deal with this level of overhead

QaaQer

How reliable is Glassdoor though?

I'm not saying that working conditions can't be awful at Cloud Imperium. But I don't think Glassdoor is maybe a particular good metric.

The vetting process isn't strict at all, but just like with yelp, tripadvisor, amazon reviews, etc. you can get a sense of things if your bs filters are good enough.

L Thammy

Racism? What?

I know nothing about the development of this game. Are the product leads known for being huge douchebags?

jaaz

The article makes Star Citizen sound like a pyramid scheme with Chris Roberts playing the role of Bernie Madoff. I really hope that isn't he case, as Star Citizen represents my dream of the perfect space sim.

CryptiK

Project is way to ambitious to ever be realised properly, I am amazed the amount of money they are still getting. This is DayZ 2 in the works.

Towards the end of the screenshotted e-mail:

"People say we will not deliver the game we've promised. So? Shouldn't you just let us get on with it? If it falls apart, they will be vindicated, if not we will be."

This seems like something a person with a bias against the media might say. Or a lack of understanding of it, rather. The games press serve as watch dogs and purchase advisors, and it's kind of their job give us an idea of what's worth paying our money to and what isn't. Warning off potential customers by giving them more information is a public service, assuming what they're saying is the truth.

It seems the article bends over backward to post Robert's response to every charge, practically every other paragraph starts with "To this Roberts responds:"

I don't see how it's "one-sided" like the Robert's response to the article on his website says.

It seems the article bends over backward to post Robert's response to every charge, practically every other paragraph starts with "To this Roberts responds:"

I don't see how it's "one-sided" like the Robert's response to the article on his website says.

Those were added after the fact.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Project is way to ambitious to ever be realised properly, I am amazed the amount of money they are still getting. This is DayZ 2 in the works.

Yeah, that's been my worry for a while. If they got like $10 million and left it that, the game would probably be out by now and they wouldn't have to keep developing additional/side things to appeal to increasingly smaller niches.

It was originally posted without any responses from roberts at all. So a number of people read that version: myself included.

Welp, I don't think we'll be seeing Star Citizen in any kind of form that resembles the promise. A pity, the world needs a good space sim.

Anoregon

Welp, I don't think we'll be seeing Star Citizen in any kind of form that resembles the promise. A pity, the world needs a good space sim.

I hear Elite: Dangerous is quite cool, I haven't played it myself though.

I'm confused, is Chris Roberts' really naive enough to think Gamer Gate is about Ethics in Games Journalism? I thought maybe he was taking the piss on this one but then he kind of kept going with it.

I dunno but he is getting more defensive than usual in that response

Criticism fatigue setting in?

okay, Derek Smart sounds like a bitter sad sociopath.

everything Chris writes sounds logical, then you visit Derek's blog - yeah Derek's a sad human being.

Do you remember where this info was published? I'd love to see this and the only link I've found so far is a web survey which I'd be very reluctant to treat as anything more than anecdotal evidence.

That response though, wow. I'm no fan of the Escapist or GG but to spend so many pages engaged in extended ad-hominems is not a good look and frankly off point. If you feel as he clearly does that it is just an attack piece, address the only substantive allegations and ignore the rest. There are answers there but they're almost lost in the sea of self pity.

Not particularly satisfied by the answers on the workplace culture at CIG, to refuse to answer particular personal allegations is right and proper but to use that as a shield to avoid discussing the general culture is very worrying. It wouldn't be hard to say 'We don't tolerate workplace bullying and harassment at CIG, we have a dedicated HR team to whom we encourage staff to reach out to, etc, etc'.

Chris Roberts said:
We have a very large team, most of which share my passion and dream. Yes, there will always be people who don’t fit in with the work and dedication that the dream demands and some of them will be resentful when they part ways, but I am in this to make something that will stand the test of time, much like Wing Commander has. When reaching for the stars there are bound to be a few bumps and delays on the road.

This is the kind of thing that reads to me as if they're saying, yes we do have a very hostile work culture but hey I made Wing Commander. That's not right, no-one should have to endure regular expletive laden rants because of 'passion'. All that ensures is that the loudest, most 'passionate' voice wins regardless of merit. I hope someone with an understanding of how to communicate effectively presents CIG's side of the argument because right now whatever the truth of the other allegations it seems true to me that CIG is an awful place to work.

Jinkies

The cult-like attacks on Star Citizen on NeoGAF and elsewhere enable me to take this with a lot of skepticism.

It wasn't long ago that NeoGAF was attacking The Escapist as being a garbage publication, but blind hatred isn't known for producing wisdom and sense.

inky

I wouldn't trust anything The Escapist has to say about this, especially when it comes on the heels of Derek Smart of all people making the accusations. Sounds like capitalizing on that small amount of buzz and drama to maximize hits with a damning piece instead of honestly trying to uncover some wrongdoings. Yes, I'm sure a ton of disgruntled employees leaped at the first chance to tell their stories... to a site like the Escapist of all places. What a scoop!

I'd believe it more if it was Kotaku doing it. Who knows, maybe they are working on something too.

This is also the kind of project that attracts concern trolling much better than shit attracts flies. I've been following the project for a while but I haven't pledged any money at all because it's not in a state I would consider optimal yet. I'm not even invested in the outcome of this game other than hoping we get a good sim in the future. It just seems like a project that, understandably, is coming along slower than everyone would hope, but still shows signs of doing things right. The amount of information disclosed is staggering, but most people would rather take the doom and gloom at face value than inform themselves of how the game's release schedule is actually panning out. The game has been in development for smaller amount of time than any other game of this scale has, and it has plenty to show around for it.

It might still be the case that it never comes out and it is a catastrophic failure in the end. It's just the reactions and pieces about it that don't seem honest or like they really want to find out what is going on. Feels more like hunting for cheap hits *shrugs*

Hylian7

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Chris Roberts has already responded and the article will be updated in the near future. Here's the link for everybody who's interested, it probably belongs in the OP as well.

....why the hell would you make this public voluntarily? When you're to the point where you are screenshotting Twitter, this seems just like bad PR in general.

I'm starting to be on the side that this game is going to turn out to be a scam and is never coming out. I know they had lofty goals, but given all the stories like this that have come out of the woodwork about it, it certainly seems shady. Throw on top of that the fact that this game has raised NINETY ONE MILLION DOLLARS in crowdfunding and yet still fuckall has come out of it. CIG is a fairly large developer now, at least they should be. With hundred-thousand dollar ships being sold, yeah, they have plenty of income.

Funny story, I actually talked to someone that used to work for CIG once and they claimed that Frontier (Elite: Dangerous) stole their renderer or something like that. I have no idea if there is any truth to that claim or not, and totally doubt there is.

Elite: Dangerous was born from a kickstarter, and actually came out as a satisfying game that is still being expanded upon. There were no empty promises, we got exactly what we were promised and more is on the way. Star Citizen was even more funded than Elite: Dangerous, and here we are with just the Hangar and Combat modules, with a ton of content still missing.

I hear Elite: Dangerous is quite cool, I haven't played it myself though.

Elite is excellent and I highly recommend it if you are wanting a space sim. A lot of people accusing Elite: Dangerous of having little actual content, which is kind of true to some degree. However the reason people play Elite is because of the space simulation aspects of it. Piloting your ship just feels so satisfying, and is always fun. There is more coming along with the Horizons expansion, and even free content that isn't part of Horizons is still coming. The CQC mode is in beta right now and should be releasing fairly soon-ish (hopefully next week), along with other bits of content for the main game such as new ships, Hazardous Resource Extraction Sites (aka, areas full of wanted powerful ships with no space cops in the area to help you. Something you should take on with a wing of your friends). The game still is a complete game, with more getting added. I would say it's worthy of it's purchase price.

pj

Banned
I'm unfamiliar with all this drama but to me it sounds like Chris Roberts wants to make a game and Derek Smart wants attention

I doubt the development of any AAA game would look much different from Star Citizen. The only difference is the blinds are open so you can get a peek at how much of a shit show it is to make games.

I want the game to be everything they promise, but there is so much smoke, you can't help but wonder. Might be FUD, might be 38 Studios all over again. I suppose only time will tell, but Derek Smart may be a broken clock when it comes to this one.

I personally find Robert's response somewhat alarming, doesn't he have a game to make? One that is late? Why does he have time to write something this long? Much of it spent personally attacking the writer of the article complete with Twitter links and such.

He should be above this stuff. It actually makes the claim that his company is a mess more believable to me.

Effect

If CIG/RSI has a PR person they must be hitting their head against a wall right now or hitting the bottle early. There is no way one worth their salt would ever think what Roberts just responded with was a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom