• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN: Giants defend Eli Manning amid claim of false memorabilia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Eli Manning turned over a potentially incriminating email earlier this month in connection with a lawsuit that claims the quarterback, the New York Giants and a team equipment manager knowingly provided false game-worn memorabilia to collectors.

The email was included in a court filing in Bergen County (N.J.) Superior Court by the plaintiffs -- collectors Eric Inselberg, Michael Jakab and Sean Godown -- who first filed suit three years ago.

On April 27, 2010, Manning sent an email to Giants head equipment manager Joe Skiba asking for "two helmets that can pass as game used." The email was initiated after Manning was sent a note by Alan Zucker, his marketing agent throughout his career, to come up with some equipment to satisfy his obligation to provide such materials to sports memorabilia company Steiner Sports.

The plaintiffs' lawyer, Brian Brook of Clinton, Brook & Peed, told ESPN that the email, included among roughly 200 pages of documents Manning produced as part of legal discovery, was key to specifically linking the quarterback to the lawsuit, which alleges an elaborate scheme to produce, pass off and sell memorabilia as game-used that was not.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...new-york-giants-accused-fraud-court-documents

This is the most boring scandal in the history of the NFL. After we (as in, the Giants) had to cut our kicker loose for repeated domestic assault, I can't muster the fucks to give about something this silly.

Sanjuro

This is a huge deal. I can't see how Eli isn't​ suspended for at least...five seasons? Brady said five, right?

Hopefully this keeps him out of the Hall as he really doesn't belong there. Alongside the 2006 Cardinals those 2 Giants teams are the most fraudulent champs in American sports history.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is the most boring scandal in the history of the NFL. After we (as in, the Giants) had to cut our kicker loose for repeated domestic assault, I can't muster the fucks to give about something this silly.

Skeezy as hell though. Personally stealing from your biggest fans? Gross.

hom3land

You'll be giving some fucks when you start losing draft picks.

fauxtrot

Banned
Skeezy as hell though. Personally stealing from your biggest fans? Gross.

Considering people that can afford to pay thousands of dollars for memorabilia as a team's "biggest fans"? Gross.

But on a serious note, this is pretty damn shady for someone as rich as Manning.

This is the most Eli Manning of sports scandals ever

6a0120a6dde087970b017c3240ff80970b-pi

Euron

Hopefully this keeps him out of the Hall as he really doesn't belong there. Alongside the 2006 Cardinals those 2 Giants teams are the most fraudulent champs in American sports history.
Fraudulent? Perhaps lucky but with a pass rush that great in the first and Eli playing out of his mind in the second, the effort put in by the teams was very worthy of a championship. And I won't even get into Spygate as a combat to the mention of fraudulent wins. If the Giants were frauds, what makes the Cowboys, Packers, Niners, and especially Pats teams that were simply unable to beat them?

There are a variety of ways this could have played out: Perhaps Eli was just being lazy and forwarded it to his agent, asking for something that looked real. Maybe there was bad wording. Or maybe Eli fucking Manning is the next Bernie Madoff. I'm hoping this doesn't get blown out of proportion, since it shouldn't, however Americans love to latch on to conspiracies regarding emails...

Ronin Ray

The 2011 team literally gave up more points on the season than they scored. They're frauds.

You made this thread worth coming into . Please keep up the good work. I look forward to your future sports post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom