• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN NFL 2K5 officially $19.99

New budget price for the latest installment in Visual Concepts' acclaimed football franchise is announced.

Two days ago, many sports fans did a double-take when they saw ESPN NFL 2K5 listed at a $19.99 price point on EBGames.com and GameStop.com. However, at the time, officials from the game's developer, Visual Concepts wouldn't officially confirm the new budget price, saying only "we will have big announcements regarding the game soon."

Apparently "soon" meant "Friday." Today, EBGames.com is advertising the new $19.99 price point on their home page as "just announced." Sources within the retailer confirmed that "the $19.99 launch price for Xbox and PS2 is official and has been confirmed by the publisher."

The price drop marks an aggressive move by ESPN NFL 2K5's publishers to win new football fans in the Madden NFL-dominated market. It also comes just days after Sega announced it had signed a deal with Take-Two Interactive to co-distribute the entire line of ESPN games which it formerly published solo. However, since the agreement was technically between Sega and Global Star Software, Take-Two's budget-game subsidiary, rumors of a price drop for the game were already widespread.

The "E" for Everyone-rated ESPN NFL 2K5 will be released on August 24 for the Xbox and PlayStation 2. For more information, read the spanking-new preview of the game by GameSpot's own Bob Colayco

Cloudy

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how EA responds. I doubt Madden sales will be affected but this might get folks to buy both games and introduce some casuals to the 2K series. Go Sega!!!!

Andy787

Banned
Cloudy said:
Go Sega!!!!
Word. I just hope Sega continues to own Visual Concepts and hangs on to the ESPN licence, and Take-2 doesn't get their dirty hands all over it. I hope Sega has the forsight to look ahead a few years. :(

Malakhov

Banned
REALLY good move by SEGA imo.

I hope they do the same with NHL, they need to concinve people to buy it and show them it's really the best Hockey game there is.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh LORD...that would be about 30 bucks up here. Definitely picking up all of the ESPN sports titles if that's the case. Smart move by Take Two and (gasp!) Sega - going head to head marketing against Madden is a non-starter, but chipping away at market share through price point and exposing more punters to an alternative is a great way to make some headway.

B E N K E

It's a healthy sign, when pricepoint is used to gain a greater market share. If this move creates 50% more sales I guess they will be happy. The average price for ESPN 2004 sales was not very high (if I know my NPD correctly). And they could very well double their sales.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder how much this is gonna affect Madden sales...I'm sure some people will pick up this game instead of Madden cause of the price drop

retardboy

I doubt this will have much of an effect on Maddens sales, but it will get Madden players to try the 2k series for once... I think this is more of a move for the future. Get the players hooked then raise the price once people know your game is better. Actually, it's perfect timing too... I don't think this would have worked well last year. They've made some huge improvements and could really turn some people this year.

shpankey

not an idiot
They could give ESPN away and Madden would still sell a ton.

Damn though, ESPN is really bringing it this year! Even though I don't like their gameplay over the EA titles, I really like the fact that they are using the Xbox as the main SKU for development and now this whole $19.99 deal is just too much! Amazing.

I will probably get all of the ESPN titles now, but to tell you a secret, I will play Madden, NCAA, MVP & Live the most (alhough this is my first year on Live, since Inside Drive is gone, I hope it's good... but it has to be better than that shitty ESPN NBA game from last year). The ESPN's hockey game absolutely SHITS on EA's offering so that's a no brainer there.

Damn, I really wasn't planning on getting all these sports games this year, but damn, $19, it's just so fucking cheap! How can I not get it?

Good job SEGA. You got someone who gave up on you after your shitty games last year (NBA was shit, NFL wasn't as good as the year before).

As far as I'm concerned, the Madden has sucked compared to the NFL2k series' games. $20 bucks will surely steal some of the "loyal" madden followers who want to try something "different".

Mrbob

This is a great time for Sega to go all out.

Now we all realize that Gameday and Fever aren't huge competition, but with them out of the market this year it leaves everything to EA and Sega. Which means with this aggressive price point Sega can eat up even more market share than normal. I like to dig on Sega from time to time (Don't we all? :p ) but this is a fantastic move.

I'm sure after the August NPD comes out and Madden outsells ESPN we'll have the "ROOFLES ESPN pricedrop meant nothing!" fools come out of the woodwork. However this is not about defeating EA in one year. It is about gaining additional marketshare throughout each year and building a rival fanbase.

VPhys

I hope this makes a dent in Madden sales. This is great news and could force EA to makes some changes (though I doubt it).

I know which football game I'll be picking up this year.

Now the key is for Sega to realese this BEFORE Madden. Otherwise people won't even know, since most of the Madden buyers will get Madden on release day. ESPN needs to be on the shelf with the $19.99 price tag when people go to pick up their $50 copy of Madden.

VPhys said:
I hope this makes a dent in Madden sales. This is great news and could force EA to makes some changes (though I doubt it).

I know which football game I'll be picking up this year.

Now the key is for Sega to realese this BEFORE Madden. Otherwise people won't even know, since most of the Madden buyers will get Madden on release day. ESPN needs to be on the shelf with the $19.99 price tag when people go to pick up their $50 copy of Madden.
Yup, that's what they should do.

Drek

I'll be buying ESPN NFL 2k5 because of this. Now Sega should just follow suit and do the same with all sports games.

$150 = Madden, Live, and MVP

or

$60 = ESPN NFL, NBA, and MLB.

:)

Easy choice.

Mrbob

Yeah I've noticed NHL, NBA are still $49.99. But since their releases are going to be 2-3 months after ESPN Football 2005 sega/take two may be waiting before announcing a price drop.

I agree they need to get this game out before Madden.

carpal

Shit, I don't even buy football games regularly and I'll probably pick this one up. I wonder if people like myself are part of the reason for this drop, not just die-hard football fans.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
:D

Man I never buy Football games and even I am going to get that on release. VF4:Evo, GGXX#R, and now this? I am liking the budget era of games!

I don't think it will have much of an effect on Madden just because in the past few years it's not like they've been able to maintain the $50 pricepoint for long anyway.

Meier

I'll buy the games but youre nuts if you think the budget price will make a difference in "introducing" gamers to the series. NFL2k3 for PS2 sold over 700k units, mostly all of them at budget prices.. and then 2k4 went on to barely move 250k units. The simple fact of the matter is that price is not the deciding factor for typical Madden buyers.

MattCoz

I was definitely getting NCAA 2005, but now I'm gonna pick this up too. That way I'll have both college and NFL, both EA and Sega.

Top Bottom