• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

https://deadspin.com/espn-issues-craven-apology-for-jemele-hills-accurate-de-1804057051

Jemel Hill is one of the best people at espn, goes on a rant against Trump and now the white house wants her fired.

Considering the world we live in where Trump, who is certainly a white supremacist is the President and his white house wants a sports journalist fired for simply stating that fact...

I remember when Trump retweeted white supremacists propaganda from a nazi account, dangerously wrong anti-black fear mongering and all.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...mp/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/

Then there was the time he retweeted an account named "White genocide"

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/trump-retweets-apparent-neo-nazi-the-second-time-year

Then there was the time he etc etc etc

royalan

So many people have called Trump a white supremacist, before and after Charlottesville.

I wonder what made the case so different and worthy of response.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Let's not fire her for saying something that like 80% of the planet would acknowledge as a basic fact, please.

mackattk

This is the government that the republicans have always feared about democrats.

Only it aligns with their views, so its ok.

RPGCrazied

I had a post deleted calling him one.

That won't change my mind thinking he is one. Sorry, the facts are there.

pwack

I feel like there is a amendment that covers government suppression of speech.

Edit - I don't see anything in the article about the government calling for her firing. Is it there?

bchamba

So many people have called Trump a white supremacist, before and after Charlottesville.

I wonder what made the case so different and worthy of response.

really weird that no white male late night hosts who have been just as if not more critical of Trump have garnered no response

also glad to see so many of her ESPN colleagues supporting her 100%

I remember when Trump retweeted white supremacists propaganda from a nazi account, dangerously wrong anti-black fear mongering and all.

ohhhhhh i remember that too now. that was absolutely insane. HOW did he get himself out of that one? it just did... nothing to him? can you imagine Obama or even Bush #2 doing something comparable (as stupid as the latter was)? unfathomable.

and he's the President of the American people... so fucking gross. i will eat so much popcorn when he actually goes down, and i'll go eat something really expensive with my gf even though i can't really afford it but fuck it, it will be a special occasion.

The nerve of these garbage humans demanding some shit like that after Trump pardoned Joe Arpaio, let alone his nazi retweets and how he handled Charlottesville.

Fuck outta here.

cameron

SHS comment via WaPo: White House: ESPN’s Jemele Hill should be fired for calling Trump a ‘white supremacist
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Wednesday struck back at ESPN host Jemele Hill for referring to President Trump a “white supremacist,” calling the comment “outrageous” and saying she should lose her job.

Asked about Hill's series of tweets Monday evening, in which the sportscaster also said Trump's rise was “the direct result of white supremacy,” Sanders responded: “That's one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make and certainly something that I think is a fireable offense by ESPN.”

Mesoian

They had a fantasy football auction that had a lot of really piercing similarities to the old slave auctions of note.

Which, really, was no worse than the NFL combine...which is also QUITE bad. I was expecting some of those officials to start checking teeth at some point.

Fired for what, speaking the truth? Sounds about right these days.

Disney doesn't want that kind of heat, especially on their failing network they're struggling to properly monetize.

She ain't lying though. I just hope this doesn't turn into, "when keeping it real goes wrong."

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
ip5BupS.png

What exactly about her actions were inappropriate? I didn't see a single lie in her tweet chain.

platocplx

He is one at best and at minimum he is a white supremacist sympathizer. Mr " good people on both sides". Also his slow responses/half assed responses and family history of discrimination with renting to minorities. It's all there.

Her only crime while being a journalist is to "nuance" the statement.

g11

Haven't watched ESPN in years but every time I caught Jemele on something, I always liked her. She seemed to have a little more going on upstairs than most of the talking heads.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What exactly about her actions were inappropriate? I didn't see a single lie in her tweet chain.
It's pretty clear that ESPN wants its staff to remain as apolitical as they can. I listen to the Deportes branch a lot and they constantly struggle to not say anything regarding the administration, though they still hint at their displeasure all the time. It was particularly noticeable last week as the DACA news were unfolding.

royalan

They had a fantasy football auction that had a lot of really piercing similarities to the old slave auctions of note.

Which, really, was no worse than the NFL combine...which is also QUITE bad. I was expecting some of those officials to start checking teeth at some point.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable watching the NFL draft

ohhhhhh i remember that too now. that was absolutely insane. HOW did he get himself out of that one? it just did... nothing to him? can you imagine Obama or even Bush #2 doing something comparable (as stupid as the latter was)? unfathomable.

and he's the President of the American people... so fucking gross. i will eat so much popcorn when he actually goes down, and i'll go eat something really expensive with my gf even though i can't really afford it but fuck it, it will be a special occasion.

I mean, that kinda shit is why he was elected, right? He appealed to the worst of America's DNA which had festered it's racism toward Obama as white supremacists groups exploded in number around the country. Trump courted that racism with his birther bullshit for a long time.

and I'm still skeptical that Trump every will "go down". He's a rich old white dude, I doubt he'll ever be significantly punished.

Interested to see how ESPN responds to this or if they even respond at all.

They already apologized "for her" so, they just might fire this woman for simply stating the obvious.

I was never a big espn guy but now I'm actively going to avoid it's stations and youtube and make sure dog them every chance I get. fuck espn

Top Bottom