• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

What exactly about her actions were inappropriate? I didn't see a single lie in her tweet chain.

Everything PoC do on the job is an unprofessional distraction, because the worst thing you can do is make white people feel a little uncomfortable about the status quo.

Slayven

Yo fuck you you can't attack the Hers in His and Hers

bruh you know how an auction draft goes in fantasy football

Thousand ways they could have did it, but they choose to have a bunch of white people bidding on black dudes. Could have thrown in some minorities in the crowd.

DMVfan123

Banned
So many people have called Trump a white supremacist, before and after Charlottesville.

I wonder what made the case so different and worthy of response.

Because most of ESPN's target demographic doesn't want politics getting in the way of "MUH SPORTS"

Yeah, which is why you alter that shit for television. Like geeze...

Grand finals SF5 can get pretty spicy during any given major but they homogenize that shit when it goes on the disney channel.

Thousand ways they could have did it, but they choose to have a bunch of white people bidding on black dudes. Could have thrown in some minorities in the crowd.

SF5 took out the ass
ESPN took out the fun part of football drafts which is where you eat lots of chicken and dunk on white people for making bad picks

tkscz

The same ESPN that had a slave auction a few weeks ago?

Hmmmmmm......

Checked your link, that feels like stretching.

Whats the point of anyone in the white house getting angry when someone calls Trump a W.S? I mean, he's done everything in his power to prove he is.

She chose an easy hill to die on.

But she was also caping for her company when the slave auction segment aired.

You gotta be ALL IN.

What exactly about her actions were inappropriate? I didn't see a single lie in her tweet chain.

Because she isn't a regular private citizen, even when she is off work. For that reason alone, what she said is inappropriate, considering that her brand and ESPN's brand are currently co-mingled.

Because, she represents ESPN when she is using social media, for better or worse. They have to make it clear that they don't have a position on it one way or the other.

Slayven

Too bad espn responded like this. After Charlottesville there's really no doubt left about what Trump is

I would have been ok if they just said "her views are her own", but the last bit is where they can kick rocks. Talking like she is a child and needed to be scalded.

tbm24

Because most of ESPN's target demographic don't want politics getting in the way of "MUH SPORTS"
ESPN 2 has spent a surprising amount of time shitting on trump, non voters, and non voting kapernick than you'd expect. Doubt Trump knows espn 2 exists.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Because she isn't a regular private citizen, even when she is off work. For that reason alone, what she said is inappropriate, considering that her brand and ESPN's brand are currently co-mingled.

Because, she represents ESPN when she is using social media, for better or worse. They have to make it clear that they don't have a position on it one way or the other.
Exactly - ESPN is a business first and formost, doing actions that can jeopardize revenue will always be frowned upon by an employer

Ralemont

not me
It would be a shame if Jemele got fired for this, with ESPN using the justification that she has made repeated idiotic, inflammatory statements in the past. Because this one is pretty close to the mark.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a white supremacist
So is her dipshit squirrel-frying fuckin' dad
So is her fucked up, dog-murdering brother.
That whole family is fuckin' trash.

This threads kind of weird...Hill's side, ESPN's side, or Trump's side?

I think ESPN and Hill are on the same side here. ESPN did the the only thing they could that would lead to the least consequences for Hill, which was apologizing on her behalf. The people at the top probably just want this to blow over.

ESPN should've told them to fuck off, and worry about more important shit than their thin-skinned president being called out for what he is.

I think ESPN and Hill are on the same side here. ESPN did the the only thing they could that would lead to the least consequences for Hill, which was apologizing on her behalf. The people at the top probably just want this to blow over.

They apologized for her when it was just an anchor stating a fact. They're definitely not on her side.

Maybe she should have given trumps white supremacy stats for the season lol

Well, I think some people would have preferred for ESPN to be more directly aligned/supportive of Hill (and by extension, her comments) instead of the distancing they are doing.

The tone of the "apology" is what has some people here irked but from a purely business standpoint, it makes sense.

The Wart

ESPN should've told them to fuck off, and worry about more important shit than their thin-skinned president being called out for what he is.

I mean, it sounds like they gave her a slap on the wrist just so that they could say that they did something. That's actually pretty close to a "fuck off, we don't give a shit" by the standards of an aggressively bland and uncontroversial media presence like ESPN. Obviously it would be better if they could actually like, take a stand, but that was never on the table.

Socivol

I don't understand the uproar over this one. You look at the things he's said and done and it aligned with white supremacist beliefs. Hell his Attorney General was denied a federal court appointment at one point for being a white supremacist.

I mean, it sounds like they gave her a slap on the wrist just so that they could say that they did something. That's actually pretty close to a "fuck off, we don't give a shit" by the standards of an aggressively bland and uncontroversial media presence like ESPN. Obviously it would be better if they could actually like, take a stand, but that was never on the table.

Or they could have completely ignored them altogether.

So Trump can go on Twitter and attack new anchors and such, but if they go after him...

What a snowflake.

Shit, this is the same guy who accused Cruz' father of killing JFK lol.

Enzom21

”I'm not going to speak for that individual, but I know that the president has met, again, with people like Senator [Tim] Scott, who are highly respected leaders in the African-American community."
"He met with one those people, of course he is not a white supremacist."
LoFuckingl at Scott being highly respected.

Edit: Giving it further thought, this is even more idiotic than initially thought and makes me think Sarah Huckabee Sanders is also a supremacist.
"How can he be racist if he can stomach meeting with a black." is basically what she is saying. So that must mean if a rapist can be in a room with a woman without raping her, then he is not a rapist.
This whole administrator is garage.

When the White House starts making a request for what your workplace should do, that's a pretty troublesome entanglement that I don't think is as simplistic as that.

The WH saying what they said is separate to whether or not someone who is an outward facing personality for a company can/should expect to be protected by the First Amendment to say what they please.

Especially when those words can be tethered to said company.

I don't understand the uproar over this one. You look at the things he's said and done and it aligned with white supremacist beliefs. Hell his Attorney General was denied a federal court appointment at one point for being a white supremacist.

If you acknowledge that Trump is a white supremacists, then what are his supporters?

the whole "worse to call someone racist" thing. Trump supporters don't want to admit they are complicit in white supremacy

Schattenjäger;248875979 said:
Exactly - ESPN is a business first and formost, doing actions that can jeopardize revenue will always be frowned upon by an employer

Nah. Sage Steele and Stephen A Smith talk hella shit about black people, nevermind some of the others.

I don't hear none of this about them.

Lane Kiffin was on a straight up, "Speak English" tip about a multi-lingual speaker, enough to get Bomani Jones and the rest of the people on his show heated.

Heard none of this.

ESPN, at best, is wholly inconsistent about this. At worst, they got a stance. And it ain't good.

hydruxo

The way Sarah Huckabee Sanders talks to the press should be a fireable offense. She's so angry all the time.

Good for Jemele calling Trump out for what he is.

cdyhybrid

aCJojRV.jpg

Nah. Sage Steele and Stephen A Smith talk hella shit about black people, nevermind some of the others.

I don't hear none of this about them.

Lane Kiffin was on a straight up, "Speak English" tip about a multi-lingual speaker, enough to get Bomani Jones and the rest of the people on his show heated.

Heard none of this.

ESPN, at best, is wholly inconsistent about this. At worst, they got a stance. And it ain't good.

While I see what you are saying, you might be a little disingenuous here.

Jemele Hill and Michael Smith had a lot of runway to critique and have positions on social issues on both 'His and Hers' 'Numbers' and 'SC6'.

The problem this time is, she "put it on wax" and Twitter feeds tend to spread a lot faster than clips from the show.

Had she not tweeted this, I don't think anyone would care about her on TV comments either.

Top Bottom