• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB has rated Oddworld: Soulstorm for Xbox Series and Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartski

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator:
i love you lion GIF by Music Choice

DonJorginho

Banned
This has to be the shittiest swap in history, both Xbox and Playstation getting shafted, all we need now is Nintendo to swoop in with Devil's Third.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

So I went to ask if it's any good, but I guess I got my answer. I didn't like New 'n' Tasty, but I loved the PS1/PC originals.
I liked Soulstorm but it has a lot of useless additions and its completely different from the original. If you already didn't like the previous remake then you will hate this.

Game is also very janky.

Bartski

Gold Member
I dropped it around 5 or 6th level, some parts were really buggy on release. It's ok I guess, not my cup of tea.

This egregious decades old practice has seen much more prevalence in the last 3-4 years, compared to how it was in the 90's/00's.

3rd party timed exclusivity (not full first party, or second party stuff like Bayonetta which otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day) must stop from the console makers and epic games for their pc store.

I can't directly accuse a developer for taking a MG without knowing their financial position, to conclude whether it's greed or plain survival. You can't accuse EA/Ubi of doing this and put them on the same plate of an indie team of 5 people who can't even pay their monthly bills to keep their lights on. Its nuanced.

"But muh capitalism!" doesn't work here, nor should it be used as a victim card. This cancerous practice has to come to an end, as it's not only anti-consumer, but also, anti-developer, and creates an ever expanding rift between the consumer and the developer, all for a corporation's gain.

Excess

This egregious decades old practice has seen much more prevalence in the last 3-4 years, compared to how it was in the 90's/00's.

3rd party timed exclusivity (not full first party, or second party stuff like Bayonetta which otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day) must stop from the console makers and epic games for their pc store.

I can't directly accuse a developer for taking a MG without knowing their financial position, to conclude whether it's greed or plain survival. You can't accuse EA/Ubi of doing this and put them on the same plate of an indie team of 5 people who can't even pay their monthly bills to keep their lights on. Its nuanced.

"But muh capitalism!" doesn't work here, nor should it be used as a victim card. This cancerous practice has to come to an end, as it's not only anti-consumer, but also, anti-developer, and creates an ever expanding rift between the consumer and the developer, all for a corporation's gain.
You have to give people a reason to purchase your products. If there's a competing product, you need a point of differentiation. And because there's so much parity in performance these days, exclusives have become an even bigger sticking point. That is, until, every publisher can maintain their own game streaming service, just like the film/TV industry. Until then, the hardware that controls these closed ecosystems, PS and Xbox, will continue to be the gatekeepers.

I just wish both PS and Xbox would become digital subscription services, and to play them, you need to buy third-party hardware to support it. Yes, Microsoft has more to gain in a market like that with Windows OS, but as far as I know, gaming on Linux ain't too bad, either.

splattered

Awww wait what? Soulstorm isn't any good??? I loved this series when I was younger! I guess I'll hold out hope that they improve it for Xbox and update on ps5 haha ... Sigh.

Withnail

What's an MG?

Oddworld Soulstorm is indie through and through, I don't see a problem if they want to release on one platform first and get some extra promotion out of it. I doubt money exchanged hands, more like "if you release on PS5 first we will give it major coverage on the PS blog and PS social channels". It's a very different situation to paying a major publisher for timed exclusivity

Allandor

What is so strange about this?
One Oddworld was once exclusive to original xbox with Oddworld Strangers Revenge. So nothing strange here. The publisher just want to give it a try to get a few more customers for that game. Porting between PS4 & xbox one (and PS5 & xbox s/x) is really easy. So publishers want to take the little porting-development time to get new customers with an existing game. This is way lower in risk than a brand new game.

Last edited:

skit_data

What is so strange about this?
One Oddworld was once exclusive to original xbox with Oddworld Strangers Revenge. So nothing strange here. The publisher just want to give it a try to get a few more customers for that game. Porting between PS4 & xbox one (and PS5 & xbox s/x) is really easy. So publishers want to take the little porting-development time to get new customers with an existing game. This is way lower in risk than a brand new game.
I don’t think anything is strange about this, I would find it more strange if it was exclusive for a long time. There are probably big Oddworld Inhabitant-fans on both Playstation and Xbox consoles.

The strangest thing about this game was Epic Store having an exclusivity deal :S

Banned
it seems that, every 3 months or so, everyone has to be reminded of the fact that there's no such thing as a 3rd party exclusive... 3rd party exclusives are always timed exclusive.

only exception is if a first party owns the IP or the game bombed so hard that a port becomes not financially viable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom