• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB rating for Halo 5 reveals a few important tidbits (Teen)

Random17

Note: Minor spoilers in this thread. They have been tagged.

Halo 5:

Rating Summary: This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a super soldier (Locke) searching for a missing character. Players use pistols, machine guns, grenade launchers, and futuristic weapons to kill alien and human enemies in frenetic combat. Battles are highlighted by realistic gunfire, explosions, and occasional blood-splatter effects. Characters can also use “assassinations” to kill characters by snapping their necks, or by stabbing them with bladed weapons. The word “a*s” appears in the dialogue, as well as occasional taunts/insults (e.g., “I have copulated...with your genetic progenitors!”; 'Your father was a filthy colo and your mother was a hole in the wall!').

Halo 4:

Rating Summary: This is a first-person shooter in which players control futuristic super-soldiers who engage in military campaigns against alien forces. Players use pistols, scoped rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, and futuristic weaponry to kill enemies in ranged combat; battles are highlighted by cries of pain, realistic gunfire, and large explosions. Stealth moves (i.e., “assassinations”) can also be used to attack enemies from behind (e.g., snapping their necks or stabbing/impaling them with bladed weapons). During one cutscene, a human character cries out as her body disintegrates, exposing layers of muscle tissue. Large blood-splatter effects occur when humans are shot; some sequences depict bloodstained environments.

Thoughts:

1. Locke name dropped in the synopsis but not Master Chief! Interesting tidbit, even if we shouldn't read too much into it.
Alien and Human enemies. Likely to be the Insurrectionists mentioned in HTT, or even ONI/UNSC later on in the campaign. If you exclude friendly fire incidents, the two marines in Sacred Icon and the Insurrectionists in Halo Wars multiplayer, this marks the first time we will encounter human enemies in a Halo game. That's quite surprising, considering how important the Innies are in the lore and how prevalent they are in the extended universe.
3. Rated Teen, suggesting that it is similar to Halo 4. I'm assuming that the Composer cutscene in Halo 4 was the cause of that game's M rating, along with what appears to be more obvious blood-splatter effects.
4. Those insults, lol.

Euron

Halo 5 |OT| Your father was a filthy colo and your mother was a hole in the wall!

Halo 5 |OT| I have copulated with your genetic progenitors

Random17

Does the new Warzone count as MP or not?

How was Firefight rated in the past? It might just be that they were walking a line and the ESRB leaned a different way this time.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsi...47&Title=Halo: Reach&searchkeyword=halo reach

This is a first-person shooter in which players engage in futuristic battles against invading aliens. Players use pistols, sniper rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, and swords to kill enemies during frequent and fast-paced combat. Characters are occasionally impaled on glowing swords, and aliens can be seen stabbing fallen figures during some battle sequences. Gun fights are highlighted by realistic gunfire sound effects, explosions, and screams of pain. Human and alien characters emit spurts of blood when injured; players are able to shoot dead enemies, causing more blood to splash out. Blood is sometimes depicted on the walls and ground.

AlStrong

The last one sounds more like what a Grunt would say actually... way too formal for Buck or the rest of Osiris/Blue.

Your mother is a hole in the wall.
The first one , yeah. The other two... I'm having a hard time hearing an EliteGrunt say that.

malfcn

Welp guess we found the OT title

This already happened. You must've missed the thread.

FWIW, it was a pretty tame thread.

Previous Halo games had the Flood, and dismemberment counted as gore. Halo 4 had the Composer scene. That probably explains the M rating for the previous games.

Missed that discussion, M isn't a prereq for a game to be good for me. And I know sometimes things are purely based on definitions.

Humans AND Aliens huh?

This could be a heck of a Halo game ... and would also make 343 keeping campaign close to the chest make sense.

Random17

Nah it's too smart for a grunt to come up with. Sounds more like something an elite would say.

Grunts are supposedly masters of human languages, more so than any other Covenant species.

But I agree with you

Did previous games mention Cortana and her lack of attire? If so does Halo 5 include / exclude similar references?

Reach barely had any Cortana outside of a cameo with no mention by the ESRB. Halo 4 had plenty of Cortana with no mention in the ESRB synopsis.

Nah it's too smart for a grunt to come up with. Sounds more like something an elite would say.

I am imagining a subplot with a hard as nails ODST teaming up with a by the books Elite to take down a rogue Covenant group in buddy cop movie style and this insult is the result of the Eite learning how to trash talk like a human as he's capping enemy Jackals and the ODST looks over and nods his head all like "Aww yeah now you got it."

A T rating has me a little worried for the narrative. While it doesn't totally rule-out heavy themes and somber tones, not using the elements which more mature ratings entail and allow has got to be pretty limiting on the writer. Good luck to them.
Am an Aussie however, so may be totally off-base with what an American Teen rating permits and prohibits

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A T rating has me a little worried for the narrative. While it doesn't totally rule-out heavy themes and somber tones, not using the elements which more mature ratings entail and allow has got to be pretty limiting on the writer. Good luck to them.
Am an Aussie however, so may be totally off-base with what an American Teen rating permits and prohibits

We ain't changed nothng tonally except by increasing fidelity and the Locke description isn't some sort of reveal. You play as Locke, Chief and all the other members of Osiris and Blue Teams.

Just context and standards evolving, I guess. We may get different ratings in the USK/PEGI lands.

We ain't changed nothng tonally except by increasing fidelity and the Locke description isn't some sort of reveal. You play as Locke, Chief and all the other members of Osiris and Blue Teams.

Just context and standards evolving, I guess. We may get different ratings in the USK/PEGI lands.
Warzone footage seemed entirely bloodless. That would be a bit of a departure.

My only worry is blood seems to be almost entirely absent. I'm not really in it for the gore, but it was a great feedback effect. It was also visually fun, especially the way it painted the environment with neon splatters when fighting the covenant.

I noticed this was a thing in Halo 4 also, but there somehow seems to be even less.

Sorta unrelated, but I also really miss the death screams in multiplayer.

Well, seeing how Marines can be enemies in Warzone,
they can probably be assassinated, i.e. "human assassinations."

Rating Summary: This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a super soldier (Locke) searching for a missing character. Players use pistols, machine guns, grenade launchers, and futuristic weapons to kill alien and human enemies in frenetic combat. Battles are highlighted by realistic gunfire, explosions, and occasional blood-splatter effects. Characters can also use “assassinations” to kill characters by snapping their necks, or by stabbing them with bladed weapons. The word “a*s” appears in the dialogue, as well as occasional taunts/insults (e.g., “I have copulated...with your genetic progenitors!”; 'Your father was a filthy colo and your mother was a hole in the wall!').

Pro-pipe is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MP is not rated under ESRB.

What? Yes it is. When games say "Online Interactions Not Rated by ESRB" that means "Hey, people online can still say "fuck" to you even though this is a T rated game." The actual in-game content of multiplayer is still rated. How would multiplayer only games like Titanfall have ratings if ESRB doesn't rate MP.

I thought
human enemies
was pretty much a given, considering where the story is going. Oh, well. It'll be fun to see to what extent the spoiler bit is seen in-game, what with it
PROMOTING VIOLENCE!1!1!1!1!1!1 like video games always do, right?
and whatnot.

ESRB ratings never made any sense. Halo language is nowhere near Drake yelling "Shit" over and over again. And the gore was toned down since the original.

Top Bottom