• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Estimate of lost Jewish property value in Tunisia, Libya: $50 Billion

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
ESTIMATE OF LOST JEWISH PROPERTY VALUE IN TUNISIA, LIBYA: $50 BILLION

Israel released an official estimate of the value of Jewish property lost when Jewish communities left two Arab countries — Tunisia and Libya — on Saturday night, Hadashot News reported. The initial amount surpassed $50 billion, with the total estimate of property lost in the Arab world, valued at $250 billion.

The estimate was released in anticipation of the announcement of the Trump administration's long-awaited peace plan, according to the report. Israel is expected to demand compensation for Jewish property left in Arab countries as a condition to a regional peace deal.

Secret valuations of Jewish property in Morocco, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Iran and Yemen have been conducted over the past year and a half, the report said.

I don't agree that the Arab countries should pay this. I just do find it an interesting gambit by Israel to put the number out there. But in the end I don't think this should be paid to Israel.

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
That number can't possibly be right? 250 billion dollars from roughly 800,000 Arab Jews expelled? That puts the average Arab Jew having a net worth of about $312,500? That's far far more money than what was stolen from the 6 million Jews in Europe? I'm gonna need to see how this was calculated.

ANyway, I have to, yet again, disagree with Crypto on this. The families and descendants of the expelled Arab Jewish population absolutely deserves to be compensated, for three reasons:

1. It's a shit tonne of money.
2. It was taken from innocent people unfairly expelled from their native countries.
3. It will set a precedent for the future, that stealing money and land from minorities in your country is not acceptable and that you will be punished for it.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018

Its in the past and it just makes things so complicated. And of course the Arab countries will not agree to the assessment and doesn't move normalization forward.

I think this is just a clever ploy by Israel in advance of Trumps peace plan to stem off any Palestinian request for compensation. So if the Palestinians say you owe us 100 Billion they will say well the Arabs owe us 250 Billion lets just call it even.