• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Estimated 5 million new gun owners (so far) in 2020

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Using the FBI’s National Instant Background Check System, National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearm trade association, estimates that there were over 12 million guns bought in the first seven months of 2020 — up more than 70 percent over the same time span in 2019. This number is likely to include nearly 5 million first-time gun owners so far this year. That is probably the biggest surge in gun ownership in American history. It’s worth noting, too, that the number would likely be higher if gun shops hadn’t been trying to keep up with demand for months.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/five-million-americans-became-first-time-gun-owners-in-2020/

Increase production to meet demand. Who said 2020 is only bad news

Dec 8, 2018
Kentucky
I can 100% believe this just seeing the amount of new traffic some of the gun forums I post on has been getting. Also the fact that absolutely everything is sold out these days, if i didn't already reload my own ammo i'd be screwed with how much I like to shoot and the ammo shortages these days.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I'm off work next week and heading down to the gun shop then to talk to them about buying my first one. Hoping they have stock in. I plan on taking a few safety classes and then going to the range every once in awhile after.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Exactly what I did. Discussion, research, safety class, purchase, range time. 👍
Oh yeah. Apparently many people buy a gun for home defense, never shot it and just put it in the house.

Definitely need to take it to a range and get comfy with it.

Reactions: Catphish

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Shameless plug for Itarget Pro

This is a training system for dry-fire training in the home. It comes with a target that uses your phone's camera to track a bore-sighted laser pointer that activates when you strike the firing pin. It acts like a snap cap, so you won't have any firing pin damage.

After you're done with each set the app will show you where each round would have landed if you were shooting live ammo. The thing will pay for itself after just a few range trips with the current cost of ammo.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I'll never forget the first time I fired a rifle, a handgun, and a shotgun. Each unique in their own way, but all similar in the feeling it gives you, and the shock at just how violent the process is.

Point is, you buy a gun, you learn how to operate it safely and correctly, learn how to clean it, learn how to shoot, and understand the damage possible when you fire it.

Other then that, I feel everyone should own one. It would make for a polite society.

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.
They've become necessary.

The second a junkie piece of shit is properly dealt with by police, a mob of retards might try to stop your car to beat you to death, break into your business to set fire to it, or even show up at your home. I'd much rather take them out than be another murdered white guy that 90% of the news media would refuse to even report on.

Reactions: Lone Wolf

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
I'm one of them. Bought mine in March. CCL is on its way.
One? That Glock is probably getting lonely ;) . It’s a fun hobby to be honest if nothing else and I hope I never ever have to use them in a dangerous situation.
I'll never forget the first time I fired a rifle, a handgun, and a shotgun. Each unique in their own way, but all similar in the feeling it gives you, and the shock at just how violent the process is.

Point is, you buy a gun, you learn how to operate it safely and correctly, learn how to clean it, learn how to shoot, and understand the damage possible when you fire it.

Other then that, I feel everyone should own one. It would make for a polite society.
100% my only concern is I hope all the other newer owners like me have been taking training to use one properly as seriously as we have. I know my way around pistols and ARs now but it was scary AF relying on The one NRA class I could get into before it had to shut down due to COVID and YouTube videos to learn how to properly use an AR for the first time. Now it’s easy when I go to the range and if I get a jam I don’t freak out and just politely ask the range officer for help.

Sadly I still haven’t had a chance to try out a shotgun due to ammo shortages: I think everyone got the memo to buy a 12 gage Mossberg.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
Shameless plug for Itarget Pro

This is a training system for dry-fire training in the home. It comes with a target that uses your phone's camera to track a bore-sighted laser pointer that activates when you strike the firing pin. It acts like a snap cap, so you won't have any firing pin damage.

After you're done with each set the app will show you where each round would have landed if you were shooting live ammo. The thing will pay for itself after just a few range trips with the current cost of ammo.
whoa this is perfect for me in NorCal. My indoor range has gotten shut down on and off during COVID and the air quality makes going to an outdoor range unappealing.

Beretta.

The Glock will be after my CCL arrives. 😁
Me too love my 92fs it was my first but I fired a Glock on rental then read up on the history and wanted one too lol

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny

Catphish

Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA
Me too love my 92fs it was my first but I fired a Glock on rental then read up on the history and wanted one too lol
I picked up an M9, not too dissimilar from the 92fs. The safety is adjusted a bit so as to avoid inadvertent thumb shenanigans, along with some changes to the magazine and grip. That trademark barrel is still in effect, tho 👍

Which Glock do you have? I'm thinking about the 17 for CC.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
I picked up an M9, not too dissimilar from the 92fs. The safety is adjusted a bit so as to avoid inadvertent thumb shenanigans, along with some changes to the magazine and grip. That trademark barrel is still in effect, tho 👍

17 for a CC? Consider the 19x if the 19 is too small for your hands.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007

I like full size so I got a 22 and a barrel mod so I can shoot both .40 S&W or 9MM depending on what’s easier to find. Added an updated recoil spring too so the recoil is a lot lighter but you still know it’s gods caliber;) Plus the added bonus is that the 22 isn’t as hard to find or as marked up as a 17 or 19. If you want to do CC though: I’ve heard good things about the 26 and sub compact line.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
Always have been an owner. Just got CCW this summer though. Now i just need some damn ammo.
If you have a Big 5 that sells ammo in your area go in and ask when they get ammo shipments in: in Cali at least they’ve all been getting reliable shipments in but you jist kind of have to get there close to opening. No need to camp out over night or anything crazy.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
If you have a Big 5 that sells ammo in your area go in and ask when they get ammo shipments in: in Cali at least they’ve all been getting reliable shipments in but you jist kind of have to get there close to opening. No need to camp out over night or anything crazy.
Also check out www.ammoseek.com and www.ammosquared.com

ammo squared is a subscription service but it seems good, I joined 2 months ago and they seem solid. Ammo seek is a compilation site that checks inventory of stores

Last edited:
Reactions: MrMephistoX

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Oh yeah online too but I’m in CA lol so we don’t have the freedom to get it delivered to your door...have to either order online to ship to a store or use an FFL :(
Damn California sucks so bad. How much would an FFL charge to have them shipped to them? Mine usually charges $40 for guns but I can’t imagine it would be anywhere near that high for ammo

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
Damn California sucks so bad. How much would an FFL charge to have them shipped to them? Mine usually charges $40 for guns but I can’t imagine it would be anywhere near that high for ammo
Haven’t tried it at an FFL But I did buy some from Bass Pro with in Store pickup...it was only $10 to run another background check but the wait time was insane. The first place anyone thinks to buy a firearm is Bass Pro or Cabella’s but mom and pop shops aren’t terrible in the burbs.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
Reactions: Musky_Cheese

TheUsual

Dec 10, 2009
Can't wait until I own my own house as I plan on getting a few.
My father is former military and does a lot of competitive shooting (I shot with him at the CMP matches in Ohio when I was in younger. Shot in the Springfield 03A3 and M1 Garand matches...super fun btw).
Want to get a good shotgun, a pistol, a revolver, an M14, and perhaps some variant of an AR.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Reactions: MrMephistoX