• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

jaypah

I can't wait for the conspiracy theories that this spawns. People going through the footage one frame at a time to prove it's bullshit.

WillyFive

OHHHHH FFFUUUUUUUCCKKK

Those are some AWFULLY clean cartridges/manuals for being in a landfill for 30 years.

They were boxed and factory sealed (unsold copies, remember?); the pressure would have broken the seals and boxes for some dirt to get in, but it's not like they dropped the cartridges and manuals in the hole and buried it.

televator

"We found them! At long last, the myth is proven true!

Aw man, look at these copies of this shitty game. Let's burry 'em in a landfill."

SystemBug

Avgn.gif
Perfect

This must be the mythical burial site of all the carts Atari didn't want. Although, those were supposedly buried in El Paso, Texas.... not New Mexico.

CDX

So. They finally dug it up. What are they going to do with them all? Throw them in the landfill again?

pj3lhCo.jpg

That looks like it's in much better shape than I would have expected after spending a few decades in a landfill.

TheJLC

If true, that's awesome. But I'm skeptical because of how clean those manuals look after being in a landfill for 30 years. I understand the cartridges, because they are plastic, but the manuals? Hmm...

Yeah, even plastisiced cardboard, and early 80's quality at that, should have rotted away to nothing after 30 years.

Regular cardboard takes only a few months to degrade completely in landfill. Not sure what those boxes are made of, but it does seem a little fishy that they're in such good condition.

so is this the first step to xbox's new motto "we're for the gamers"?

i don't mind them doing stuff like this, but to spend that much money on uncovering an urban gaming myth, they probably did so much research and expect this marketing strategy to be on the first page of reddit.

good luck, though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, even plastisiced cardboard, and early 80's quality at that, should have rotted away to nothing after 30 years.

Yeah...regular cardboard biodegrades within a matter of weeks. After 30 years, there shouldn't be anything left of those boxes.

EDIT: Not to mention those paper inserts. Those should just be gone.

border

The "urban legend" is that there were literally hundreds of thousands of copies of ET buried.

I see one copy of ET. In relatively good condition.

This smells like utter reality TV bullshit....at least until some better photographic evidence turns up. If they really discovered a cache of thousands of games I don't understand why they only took a few pictures of single copies. Methinks some desperate production assistant was searching for "Atari" on eBay a few days ago.

JaggedSac

so is this the first step to xbox's new motto "we're for the gamers"?

i don't mind them doing stuff like this, but to spend that much money on uncovering an urban gaming myth, they probably did so much research and expect this marketing strategy to be on the first page of reddit.

good luck, though.

They're making a documentary.

Top Bottom