• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

Gp4zC8t.jpg

Corto

For the next episode Microsoft should send disk forensic technicians to Valve to find Half Life 3 on Gabe's PC.

Rocky

Banned
Funny, I thought I remembered reading an interview with Bushnell a while back where he said the carts were buried but they were pulverized and encased in cement before they were buried. I need to try and find it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I hope they put some of the recovered stuff up for sale. Maybe take an ET cart and preserve it in acrylic.

shuri

Banned
Something is fishy about this..

This stayed in the ground for 30+ years, and didnt degrade more than this? Ive seen arcade art stored from the '60 and '70 in warehouses with climate control that looks much more than this..

I call fake..

Funny, I thought I remembered reading an interview with Bushnell a while back where he said the carts were buried but they were pulverized and encased in cement before they were buried. I need to try and find it.

USA Today article says they ran over them with a bulldozer

Is Nolan Bushnell or anybody else from Atari back in the day involved in this documentary or do they refuse to cooperate with MS in any way? Because a definitive documentary about this with help from those who were there at the time would be awesome.

The creator of the et game was on site.

This stayed in the ground for 30+ years, and didnt degrade more than this? Ive seen arcade art stored from the '60 and '70 in warehouses with climate control that looks much more than this..
To be fair, my Atari 2600 and all my games survived full submersion in a flood.

level44

Is the myth that they are in a landfill or that there are THOUSANDS of them in a landfill?

This.

I'm not sure I believe this story....

EDIT:

It was a pretty cool day out there. I mean as cool as a day can be un an old landfill. The one I am holding in the photo was the very first one they found. There area a TON more down there and the story is developing on exactly how many.

Oh and nice 'shop of my head.

Ok, seems like there were more then. It adds up. Cool find, well done!

Major Nelson

Neo Member
It was a pretty cool day out there. I mean as cool as a day can be un an old landfill. The one I am holding in the photo was the very first one they found. There area a TON more down there and the story is developing on exactly how many.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why would this have any impact on a general gaming crash? Surely it'd just be something that would hasten Atari's downfall, but why the rest of gaming?

jblank83

This is the reason people are worried about landfills. Landfills are not just big trash dumpsters exposed to the sky. Bulldozers pack everything down and cover it with dirt and pack it down again. That means the trash is in an anaerobic, dry environment. Objects don't decompose in anaerobic, dry environments.

Egyptian tombs are an example of this. When first opened, the paint on the walls looks fresh as the day it was painted. Only on exposure to the air does it start to degrade.

Regardless, even if it was left out in the open, plastic doesn't decompose easily, lasting hundreds or thousands of years.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/landfill7.htm
http://environment.about.com/od/recycling/a/biodegradable.htm
http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/13/los-angeles-las-vegas-business-energy-biggest-landfills.html

Tensketch

This is impressive. I originally took it as fact that this landfill existed, it wasnt until the stories of people wanting to dig it up that I learned it was only a myth.

NeededSleep

More pictures please! this is really awesome!

SkylineRKR

So I guess thats saved for the documentary.

Well if this is the case, then the legend is likely true.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't think it was ever doubted that at some point Atari disposed of a lot of defective or unsold merchandise.

The "myth" part is largely the number of cartridges dumped, and whether or not it's all ET. And certainly people doubted that it would be possible to pinpoint the burial site so effectively.

I am interested to see how much stuff they find in total, and if it really is like a million copies of ET.

As a reminder; ET sold 1.5M out of 5M made; Pac-Man sold 7M out of 12M. That's a shitload of unsold carts. Probably not all buried at this one site, but should be a considerable amount!

Top Bottom