• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal Darkness Fifth Extension - GRANTED 12/20/12

Malvingt2

Word Mark: ETERNAL DARKNESS
Status/
Status Date:
FIFTH EXTENSION - GRANTED
12/20/2012
Serial Number: 77932350
Filing Date: 2/10/2010
Registration Number: NOT AVAILABLE
Registration Date: NOT AVAILABLE

Goods and Services: computer game programs; computer game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; interactive electronic game programs; interactive electronic game software; interactive video game programs; interactive video game software; video game programs; video game software

Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark: TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date: 5/25/2010

Last Applicant/Owner: Nintendo of America Inc.
Redmond, WA 98052

http://www.trademarkia.com/eternal-darkness-77932350.html

as you know they were rumors and confirmation of ED2 being canned. Status dead.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503761

Mama thread^ 12-11-2012

9 days later Nintendo renewed trademark.. So what is going GAF? did the project move to another studio? Nintendo owns the IP now? SK sold it to them?

grumpy

Ugh, just port the damn thing to the 3DS/U already. I wouldn't trust anyone to make a proper sequel anyway.

Man, what if Retro were making Eternal Darkness 2?

It would be awesome if the e3 conference or similar that announced it incorporated sanity effects into the presentation itself. Though I guess the original wasn't super-popular and it'd seem dumb & confusing to many people. Maybe they'd do something that batshit insane during a nintendo direct..

I really wanna beieve this is Retro's title and it will be unveiled at E3. It also supports those former Naughty Dog concept artists who said whatever Retro's project is, it is "pushing them creatively more than any other project they've ever worked on"

Zeal

Banned
Yeah right, and I have Chrono Trigger II on preorder while playing Versus.

On my Dreamcast 2 with Shenmue III demo.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
For a second there I thought a new game was announced and that Fifth Extension was the subtitle.

Hiltz

Hard to say. Dyack seems like he may be unwilling to possibly let go of his co-ownership of the IP if he does in fact partially own it. The stories the development of the last couple of Silicon Knights projects sounded like a nightmare. Anyway,I'd be up for a sequel. The story was pretty interesting and the gameplay could be more refined in a sequel. The GamePad would naturally be a perfect fit for Eternal Darkness since you would no longer have to pause the game to go through the inventory screen all the time. Just slap that baby on to the touchscreen. Other ideas include being able to draw symbols and solve puzzles, and maybe if your hallucination of dead ends, enemies and traps , you would have to then rely on the touchscreen map for guidance. You could use motion control and asymmetric gameplay for other mechanics too.

I just bought a Wii U even if there are only a couple o games I'm interested into, so far. But this would definitely make it worthwhile! Please be real :D

XenodudeX

I don't know why people are excited. I even if the game was good ( I've only seen videos on youtube and it looks like poop), Silicon Knights track record recently hasn't been very good. And seeing how this game keeps getting extensions, it seems that they can't their shit together over there. Crappy game confirmed.

Akai

So basically, they're just making sure they don't lose it. Guess nothing will come of this after all. : (

I'd say that the fact that they don't want to lose it is telling enough that there still is at least INTEREST in the franchise, even if it isn't used in the near future...

I don't know why people are excited. I even if the game was good ( I've only seen videos on youtube and it looks like poop), Silicon Knights track record recently hasn't been very good. And seeing how this game keeps getting extensions, it seems that they can't their shit together over there. Crappy game confirmed.

For one, it wouldn't be by Silicon Knights...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hard to say. Dyack seems like he may be unwilling to possibly let go of his co-ownership of the IP if he does in fact partially own it. The stories of his development no the last couple of Silicon Knights projects sounded like a nightmare. Anyway,I'd be up for a sequel. The story was pretty interesting and the gameplay could be more refined in a sequel. The GamePad would naturally be a perfect fit for Eternal Darkness since you would no longer have to pause the game to go through the inventory screen all the time. Just slap that baby on to the touchscreen. Other ideas include being able to draw symbols and solve puzzles, and maybe if your hallucination of dead ends, enemies and traps , you would have to then rely on the touchscreen map for guidance.

Gamepad would also enable stuff like this.

The game was good (I liked it anyway), and there are very high chances at this point that if Nintendo wants to revive the series it won't be Silicon Knights to develop it, but someone else.

The thing that has very low chances of happening is Nintendo wanting to revive the series... despite this trademark renewal.

Effect

they just get silicon knights. i always prefer when the developer of the previous game does the sequel.... even if their track record as of late hasn't been the best.

Silicon Knights is just a name. You just need the majority of lead people that worked on the game or enough developers in general that fully understood the creative process during it's creation.

Top Bottom