• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - Preview and Screens

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201202/23010376.html

Features artwork and background design by Nizou Yamamoto, the art director of Princess Mononoke:

WMLM4.jpg

9bwEr.jpg

Hot-air balloon instead of ship:

6yABV.jpg

RRTzn.jpg

boTRw.jpg

3D dungeons:

vPccu.jpg

Visible FOEs on the map:

yMkpd.jpg

3D enemy models (animated):

HqQFh.jpg

More lolis:

J4mOA.jpg

cIiQO.jpg

Aeana

The lack of antialiasing makes it look a little worse than the DS games, since they had edge AA like other DS games do.

It doesn't look bad, really, but it's disappointing considering that Yamamoto is involved and his concept art is beautiful.

MrDaravon

Maybe it looks better in motion, but yeah I played EO3 recently and it looked as good or better than the screens :/

Danielsan

Man, it looks worse than the DS titles. Bleghh. You'd figure that with the 3DS being close to on par with a Wii/Gamecube that they'd atleast be able to create some decent looking dungeons, albeit with simple 3D geometry.

KarmaCow

The enemies look worse than the ones in the DS games :\

Yea, they look flat. Maybe the animation will be good enough to make up for it.

Dungeons don't look much better but they always looked pretty shitty.

Have they said anything about battle system or class changes?

If you've seen the ugly screens of Dragon Quest Monsters and the video just released on the J e-shop the differences is like day and night.

duckroll

Looks like a DS game, I wonder if it was originally.
It's like they decided to stay with DS spec graphics.... :(

last minute up-port?

I think at some point (I'm not saying we're there yet, but maybe in a year or so) we will have to stop considering this as a possibility and just accept that smaller developers, especially in Japan, will continue to make games which meet just a bare minimum standard, because it is enough for the audience that they're serving, and spending more money on the production of that sort of game will not result in increased sales or a larger audience.

I expect there to be many Vita games which look like PSP games, and many 3DS games which look like DS or PSP games. Just like how there are many PS3 games today which look like PS2 games rendered at a higher resolution.

The balloon segments look pretty rough. The battle screen and normal dungeons are alright, though.

I wonder what kind of idle animations the FOEs will have when you're not moving. The bear looks like he doesn't stop for nothing.

The balloon segments look pretty rough. The battle screen and normal dungeons are alright, though.

I wonder what kind of idle animations the FOEs will have when you're not moving. The bear looks like he doesn't stop for nothing.

Real time FOE movement will be the new innovative gameplay feature of EO4!

Ratrat

I really enjoy these games. And having played 3 recently, this is a huge improvement graphically. Well, except the 3d models.

duckroll

The bear isn't a battle screen. It's a screen of a FOE on the field (they're now visible) attacking the player to initiate the battle.

vareon

J4mOA.jpg

VfDFr.gif

Old FOEs?

Anyway I like the setting more than EO3 (somehow it reminded me of Shingeki no Kyojin), but the hot air balloon looked too much like the ship now, a feature that didn't really click with me. Eagerly waiting for more news.

StuBurns

Banned
I think at some point (I'm not saying we're there yet, but maybe in a year or so) we will have to stop considering this as a possibility and just accept that smaller developers, especially in Japan, will continue to make games which meet just a bare minimum standard, because it is enough for the audience that they're serving, and spending more money on the production of that sort of game will not result in increased sales or a larger audience.

I expect there to be many Vita games which look like PSP games, and many 3DS games which look like DS or PSP games. Just like how there are many PS3 games today which look like PS2 games rendered at a higher resolution.
To be fair, the compression doesn't help, they probably look a lot nicer in reality. Although I'm sure it's true many games, asset wise will reflect the budgets of the previous systems, there are inherent benefits to the new systems which shouldn't cost a developer any more. Textures for example, they're made at higher res and compressed because of RAM constraints. Even doing it identically, you shouldn't be compressing them as much, they should look crisper. There's more performance for better IQ too.

I think it's true, devs should keep a low budget if their audience dictates it, but the new systems should allow for an essentially free visual upgrade.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's too bad they couldn't integrate the art into the maps better and the battle system looks essentially the same. Pretty disappointing so far.

The bear isn't a battle screen. It's a screen of a FOE on the field (they're now visible) attacking the player to initiate the battle.

Well, I know. That's why I wonder what the bear (or any other FOE) will do when you're standing still on the map. That was no problem when they were just orange or red orbs in previous games, but now they have to give them idle animations for when your party is not moving. Or maybe they are just freezing which would be a bummer.

duckroll

Well, I know. That's why I wonder what the bear (or any other FOE) will do when you're standing still on the map. That was no problem when they were just orange or red orbs in previous games, but now they have to give them idle animations for when your party is not moving. Or maybe they are just freezing which would be a bummer.

He'll probably be sniffing his ass or something. I dunno, what do bears do? :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I still wish I could see my team of scantily lolis during battle.

jorgeton

OMGGG. Wantttt. Yesterday's announcement had me dig out EO3 and try to finish off that last Stratum, sucked me in for two hours. The EO games are my comfort food. This game is pretty much the only reason I will buy a 3DS.

Mojojo

I won't lie, when I saw the tree in the Nintendo Direct trailer, for a moment I hoped for a new Secret of mana : _( ..
Did Yamamoto work on the art for that game? the plants seem so similar...

big-secret-of-mana-ost-seiken-densetsu-2-original-sound-version.jpg

JonnyBrad

I won't lie, when I saw the tree in the Nintendo Direct trailer, for a moment I hoped for a new Secret of mana : _( ..

I agree the first pic in the op just looks like the mana tree.

tuffy

Polygonal enemies are a bit sad, but I suppose that's necessary to integrate them into the 3D backgrounds. But the maze really is much improved from the DS titles, and PC-88 tunes driven by the 3DS should be a lot better. It also looks like there'll be 4 parts of a game day (dawn/dusk?) instead of the old day/night cycle, judging from the game clock. I'm looking forward to the US release.

duckroll

big-secret-of-mana-ost-seiken-densetsu-2-original-sound-version.jpg

Nope. That's Hiroo Isono. Nizou Yamamoto doesn't generally work in the game industry. He's an art director and background artist for anime productions like a bunch of Studio Ghibli stuff, and other stuff like Fantastic Children and The Girl Who Leaped Through Time.

With the exception of the hot-air balloon segments, it really doesn't look that bad. As good as the concept art? Of course not, but if you look at the gorgeous concept art from the artbook for the first three, it's silly to expect something that amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally a DS game, but the dungeon shots definitely look better than EOIII:

6w9lA.jpg

Tz63P.jpg

nl7Dt.jpg

compared to:

yMkpd.jpg

Dungeons in EO3 were a lot more colourful, even in the 1st Stratum.

Which may or may not be a good thing according to your views. I just know I'm hyped.

Top Bottom