• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Just played through the EOV demo. Never played an Etrian Odyssey game before. Really enjoyed it. Right now my party is: fencer, harbinger, warlock, rover, botanist. Hopefully it doesn't turn out a disaster for the main game.

A couple of questions:

Can someone clarify how warping to different floors works? I thought I read you have to complete a floor's map before you can warp to it, but for some reason I was able to warp to floor 3 before I was able to submit floor 3 map to the council.

Can someone clarify how class change affects stats? I thought I read that when you class change, you keep your original stats. But in this game, I think stats are based on race and not class, is that correct? In which case, class changing a human to another human class has no effect on stats?

Anustart

Really enjoyed 4 but this demo has me doubting a purchase.

Skill tree looks boring and everything I used was weak or need to use 2 turns to show anything

Made out to the end oid the demo not really wanting more

spiritfox

Just played through the EOV demo. Never played an Etrian Odyssey game before. Really enjoyed it. Right now my party is: fencer, harbinger, warlock, rover, botanist. Hopefully it doesn't turn out a disaster for the main game.

A couple of questions:

Can someone clarify how warping to different floors works? I thought I read you have to complete a floor's map before you can warp to it, but for some reason I was able to warp to floor 3 before I was able to submit floor 3 map to the council.

Can someone clarify how class change affects stats? I thought I read that when you class change, you keep your original stats. But in this game, I think stats are based on race and not class, is that correct? In which case, class changing a human to another human class has no effect on stats?

I believe you just need to be above a certain percentage map completed to open up floor warp. You don't need to report to the council for that.

Base classes don't affect stats at all. Only races, equipment, and Legendary Titles affect stats. Yes, changing a human to another human class doesn't change the race stats at all.

omlet

Really enjoyed 4 but this demo has me doubting a purchase.

Skill tree looks boring and everything I used was weak or need to use 2 turns to show anything

Made out to the end oid the demo not really wanting more

Did you look at the skill trees outside of the game? Because you can only see like 1/3 of the skill trees in the demo. Also, everything you have at your disposal feeling weak at the start of the game is pretty par for the course for EO, even IV.

As for needing 2 turns, what party did you use? Using the first turn for buffs/debuffs/setup is also pretty normal for EO. Bunker dragoon is about the only class that felt a bit clunky to me since while necros and rovers can summon outside of battle, dragoon has to spend turns to generate bunkers (they're worth it but there is no getting around having to spend turns for them). Harbingers' miasma armor would be the other kinda clunky at early game thing I guess, but unless your party is poorly balanced you shouldn't need to rely on having miasma armor active for the demo content, outside of FOEs where you'll be going in expecting a longer battle, anyway. At higher levels harbingers should really not have trouble with high uptime for miasma armor, should you spec for it.

Anustart

Well, I was using a necro which to me seemed absolutely worthless. Wraiths are junk at doing about anything, and costs shit ton of mp to use the fire kerplosion or whatever. And the necro itself had junk damage.

Whichever class calls the hawks was pretty meh as well.

2 turns as in summon wraith > explode the wraith, which is expensive and if you run out, boom, summon > then explode for not a big pay off.

spiritfox

Necro is a bit of a slow starter because it's a bit TP hungry and they need their legendary title to have good wraith generation. Rover is not a damage class, hawk does decent binding but the damage is not great.

I believe you just need to be above a certain percentage map completed to open up floor warp. You don't need to report to the council for that.

Base classes don't affect stats at all. Only races, equipment, and Legendary Titles affect stats. Yes, changing a human to another human class doesn't change the race stats at all.

All right, thanks for the help!

omlet

Well, I was using a necro which to me seemed absolutely worthless. Wraiths are junk at doing about anything, and costs shit ton of mp to use the fire kerplosion or whatever. And the necro itself had junk damage.
Early game, necro is really better used like a tank. You can summon 3 wraiths outside of battle and then the skill to make them take hits for the party is very cheap to use in terms of TP cost. You can forage/cook food items or just use a heal skill to top off their HP between battles from summoning more wraiths. At higher level with a larger TP pool and more skill points put in their "free" wraith generation skills they should be easier to use to do damage.

Whichever class calls the hawks was pretty meh as well.
Rover is more like a support class with heals and binds, pets which can occasionally take hits for the party, and piercing attacks to help Fencer chains. They're not really a strong damage dealer. They also don't work well in a party with a necro, because you can only summon 3 extra things (animals, wraiths, bunkers), so the rover's pets will compete for slots, making the necro feel extra clunky/worthless.

If you want to run a necro my advice is treat them like a tank at early game and do not use a Dragoon or Rover in the same party so that the necro can have all 3 summon slots for wraiths.

Zweizer

Banned

Nachos

Sorry to spring this on you guys two weeks from release, but a family emergency's come up. I won't be able to finish the Etrian OT before I leave this Friday, and I probably won't be back until a few days after the game's come out.

I thought I'd have until the day before release, so I don't actually have much to show for the work I've done until now. But at the very least, I'll finalize and post the class icons I've made so far later tonight.

PK Gaming

Anyone come up with profiles for their initial party? Yes? No? Maybe? Anyway, here's mine:

Cedric (leader)
Race: Celestrian
Class: Warlock
Personality: Reserved, calm, heavy-hearted
Motivation: Wants to climb Yggdrasil in hopes of finding a method to revive his late brother
Misc: A lot of things bother him, but he generally keeps quiet and doesn't let it show on his face

Bright
Race: Earthlain
Class: Fencer
Personality: Cocky, upbeat, affable
Motivation: To make Artemis the #1 guild in all of Arcania
Misc: Friendly, but mean! Frequently declares herself as the true leader of the guild

Margarita
Race: Earthlain
Class: Dragoon
Personality: Fierce, experienced, badass
Motivation: Initially the leader of her own gang, but left due to circumstances. After joining up with Artemis, her primary goal is overseeing the guild and driving it towards success
Misc: She's responsible for making everyone wake up at 7'oclock sharp.

Madelhari
Race: Therian
Class: Masaruo
Personality: Unwavering, calm, independent
Motivation: To become the greatest swordsman in the entire world. Climbing Yggdrasil is a means of achieving that
Misc: "My blade shall cleave ignorance and light the way"

Beck
Race: Brouni
Class: Botanist
Personality: Positive, emotional, reliable
Motivation: Overflowing with the desire to experience many adventures
Misc: Un-ironically says awesome-sauce after winning a battle

Nachos

Sorry for the late update. The five class icons I remade are here and include Fencer, Dragoon, Pugilist, Warlock, and Masurao. I exported everything as pure black icons on a transparent background, so it should be pretty easy to change their colors if you need to, even in something like GIMP.

Sorry to hear about the emergency, hope all is well.

Do you wish to delegate the OT to anyone in particular?

Nah, anyone's free to do it, as long as they want to. I knew about all this for a day or two but kept quiet to see if I could still make things work out, but I realized it just wasn't in the cards.

I finally played the EO5 demo. I was super excited for it but I was in the middle of Persona 5 when it hit and just didn't want to multitask. I've gotten to level 10 but I think there's a few more things for me to do in the demo before it's 'over'.

I liked what I played, but I couldn't help but be a little disappointed by the classes and the skill trees. I just couldn't find anything that I really liked. The way the game splits out race and class skills makes it feel a lot less involved, at least up front. My favourite part of EO4 is specing out my characters and finding cute ways to synergize guys, like a Landschnekt/Runemaster combo, or abusing the Nightseeker, or letting the Dancer go to town. I wasn't feeling that at all here. I ran a Masurao/Pugilist/Fencer/Botanist/Warlock and just fought, healed and used attack magic every single turn.

Am I doing it wrong or just being impatient? Are there other classes that are more interesting or that synergize well with others? I look at that skill tree for the classes and go "...is that it?" Maybe there's more to it in the main game?

I don't want to shit on the game or anything because I did really enjoy my few days with it and I'm really looking forward to the main game. While I wait, though, I thought I'd solicit any feedback to my comments and see if I'm way off base or what.

spiritfox

I finally played the EO5 demo. I was super excited for it but I was in the middle of Persona 5 when it hit and just didn't want to multitask. I've gotten to level 10 but I think there's a few more things for me to do in the demo before it's 'over'.

I liked what I played, but I couldn't help but be a little disappointed by the classes and the skill trees. I just couldn't find anything that I really liked. The way the game splits out race and class skills makes it feel a lot less involved, at least up front. My favourite part of EO4 is specing out my characters and finding cute ways to synergize guys, like a Landschnekt/Runemaster combo, or abusing the Nightseeker, or letting the Dancer go to town. I wasn't feeling that at all here. I ran a Masurao/Pugilist/Fencer/Botanist/Warlock and just fought, healed and used attack magic every single turn.

Am I doing it wrong or just being impatient? Are there other classes that are more interesting or that synergize well with others? I look at that skill tree for the classes and go "...is that it?" Maybe there's more to it in the main game?

I don't want to shit on the game or anything because I did really enjoy my few days with it and I'm really looking forward to the main game. While I wait, though, I thought I'd solicit any feedback to my comments and see if I'm way off base or what.

That's only half the skill tree. You unlock the other half later on into the game.

There are still many team combos in, from Chain Fencers to a full ailment team with Botanist and Habinger to Binds with Pugilist and Rover. You just need to find them.

Forward

Well, you made it farther than me.

However, I did tooth-and-claw my way through there on Expert mode in Untold. That place is hell. Toughest final stratum in the series IMO (well, III's is really nasty, too).

Thanks for the details. Didn't have room to go over music in OP.

Personally I like both styles and think the music in IV and Untold is really great but it is still certainly different from what the series had before.

Wasn't the ideal end-game mix for O.G. EO1 the normal party, minus the Alch, plus a Troub?

Regardless, Fight 'n Heal ain't got shit on Protect, Immunize, and Relax.

Zweizer

Banned
Sorry for the late update. The five class icons I remade are here and include Fencer, Dragoon, Pugilist, Warlock, and Masurao. I exported everything as pure black icons on a transparent background, so it should be pretty easy to change their colors if you need to, even in something like GIMP.

Nah, anyone's free to do it, as long as they want to. I knew about all this for a day or two but kept quiet to see if I could still make things work out, but I realized it just wasn't in the cards.

Thanks for your work. I hope everything goes well for you.

omlet wherefore art thou?

omlet

Anyone come up with profiles for their initial party? Yes? No? Maybe? Anyway, here's mine:

I was trying to but because I ended up making 10 characters right at the start and not being able to decide what kind of party to use, I had to put that off because it was too much to think about while still trying to figure out the classes and party build.

Honestly, what I really would like to do is like in-character blog/explorer log my playthrough of EO5 but... the amount of extra time that would take is prohibitive, especially since a lot of my 3DS playtime is lunch breaks at work and then in bed right before passing out for the night.

Thanks for your work. I hope everything goes well for you.

omlet wherefore art thou?
Uh... man it'll probably be a pretty plain OT if you leave it to me :^)

I haven't ever done an OT (well, besides this one) but I guess if there's a good one to reference for formatting I could take a crack at it in the next few days.

Zweizer

Banned
Uh... man it'll probably be a pretty plain OT if you leave it to me :^)

I haven't ever done an OT (well, besides this one) but I guess if there's a good one to reference for formatting I could take a crack at it in the next few days.

Nachos' EOU2 OT is a pretty good example I'd say, there's also Parakeetman's EMD OT.

I could help for pictures and other resources I think.

omlet

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT|
My Brave Little Explorers Getting Mauled by the Horrors of the Labyrinth Can't Possibly Be This Cute

are you sure you want to leave this to me

redcrayon

Just played the first floor of the EOV demo, really impressed with it. Ran with Dragoon, Fencer, Masauro, Botanist and Rover. Having the line for pets/bunkers in front is a great addition. Good to see elemental chain attacks (fencer) kicking in early on seeing as I don't have a caster. Being able to name the dog is wonderful. Even the little encounters were interesting, those berries man, so delicious... The options for unite attacks add flexibility too. Excited to start the main game now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO V demo felt like the sequel to EO 1/2 I always wanted. Races were a great idea to go back into the Wizardry sort of fold, but no weird alignment issues, just more basic stat reasons to make more/less optimal builds.

omlet

Okay, weekend over, back to work, so I'm not distracted by my PS4 and PC games and I also finished getting 27 characters to level 10 and farming a +5 owlbear staff in the EOV demo, so... about this OT...

Is there class icon for all the classes or only the handfull in Nachos' last post?

I don't mind getting started on writing up some stuff
for everyone to not read
but I don't have any assets like artwork. I guess I could "borrow" some assets from the official page? They looks fine to me, just may need some resizing.

spiritfox

Okay, weekend over, back to work, so I'm not distracted by my PS4 and PC games and I also finished getting 27 characters to level 10 and farming a +5 owlbear staff in the EOV demo, so... about this OT...

Is there class icon for all the classes or only the handfull in Nachos' last post?

for everyone to not read
but I don't have any assets like artwork. I guess I could "borrow" some assets from the official page? They looks fine to me, just may need some resizing.

Yeah, which is shame, since the only place they appear in-game is on the shaman's cards, but the 3DS screen is too small to show that detail. Reminds me of the red-haired pirate in III having Raihou from Devil Summoner on his eyepatch.

Here's a preview of what's to come, though:
dvRYNTF.jpg

Most of them are obvious, but going from left to right, you've got Fencer, Dragoon, Pugilist, Harbinger, Masurao, Rover, Warlock, Necromancer, Shaman, Botanist, and the two cut classes, Horn and Reptilian.

There were actually more complex versions, but I guess they pared them down because the details got lost at small sizes and because they wanted the icons to look like the ornaments that all the classes wear (like the Pugilist and Masurao belts):
a3E3I5G.jpg

And the rough sketches they started with:
hYbdzLc.png

vall03

For EOV, is it fine to spend skill points on Race skills for my main team or should I just use a secondary farming team? Will you even have any issues with skill points later in the game?

tuffy

For EOV, is it fine to spend skill points on Race skills for my main team or should I just use a secondary farming team? Will you even have any issues with skill points later in the game?
Seems like most of the gathering and event-based skills max out at 1 point, so I'm going to spread them around my main team rather than go to the trouble of equipping and maintaining a whole separate farming team. Making the most out of every skill point for combat shouldn't be a problem until the postgame, and I'll need to rest and reallocate my points then anyway.

vall03

Seems like most of the gathering and event-based skills max out at 1 point, so I'm going to spread them around my main team rather than go to the trouble of equipping and maintaining a whole separate farming team. Making the most out of every skill point for combat shouldn't be a problem until the postgame, and I'll need to rest and reallocate my points then anyway.

I see, thanks! These skills don't stack right? Unless specifically stated on the description. One last thing, will I be losing any good/helpful race skill fom Brouni? Currently not using one in my main party.

omlet

I see, thanks! These skills don't stack right? Unless specifically stated on the description. One last thing, will I be losing any good/helpful race skill fom Brouni? Currently not using one in my main party.

Yeah, generally they don't stack unless stated... For example, Hunting skill, as long as anyone has it, you can hunt.

There's one sort-of exception for gathering. The skill that humans get that increases yield from gathering does "stack" in that each character with this skill will get a chance to proc it whenever someone uses a gathering skill, so you can make a party of 4 humans and 1 other race and be able to get up to 5 yields from a single gathering point.

As for Brouni, I don't have my 3DS with me atm so I can't confirm but I think they are the only race with the Take skill so you would have a hard time finding rare materials from Take nodes without one. Also they have unique Union skills that may be lifesavers.

tuffy

The Brounis get some handy race skills like boosting healing items by 50% or lowering shop prices by 5%. But some of their union skills are bound to be invaluable, like one that fully heals/restores/unbinds/revives everybody and one that nullifies all damage to the party for a turn.

tuffy

EOV was released early here in Malaysia but will have to wait for 2 more days to get my game!! So excited to build my party again. Any good party tips?
I'd simply recommend assembling a team to cover a lot of bases. For instance, you're bound to face random encounters with a lot of enemies, so have a source of damage that hits lots of targets at once. And you're going to face bosses with a ton of HP, so have a good source of damage that hits single targets. And there's going to be enemies with elemental weaknesses (or resist all forms of physical damage), so have a source of elemental damage. Some form of healing, status removal and unbinding are also going to be important.

Whether to shut down bosses with binds, have a tank to block their attacks, and/or have somebody to deal status effects is up to your personal preference. But put together a team to cover a lot of the usual scenarios and you should be fine.

vall03

Yeah, generally they don't stack unless stated... For example, Hunting skill, as long as anyone has it, you can hunt.

There's one sort-of exception for gathering. The skill that humans get that increases yield from gathering does "stack" in that each character with this skill will get a chance to proc it whenever someone uses a gathering skill, so you can make a party of 4 humans and 1 other race and be able to get up to 5 yields from a single gathering point.

As for Brouni, I don't have my 3DS with me atm so I can't confirm but I think they are the only race with the Take skill so you would have a hard time finding rare materials from Take nodes without one. Also they have unique Union skills that may be lifesavers.

The Brounis get some handy race skills like boosting healing items by 50% or lowering shop prices by 5%. But some of their union skills are bound to be invaluable, like one that fully heals/restores/unbinds/revives everybody and one that nullifies all damage to the party for a turn.

Thanks again guys! But damn, looks like I need to add a Brouni to my team somehow? Not sure what to remove though...

Zweizer

Banned

for everyone to not read

I'll take a stab at trying to finish what Nachos started this evening.

vall03

What classes are you using? If you've got a Dragoon you could always reclass a Brouni into one.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my team, I'm running Pugilist/Dragoon/Harbinger, Warlock/Rover, all of them with default race. Spent a couple of hours experimenting with different teams, but this is the most stable team that I really liked. Going to see if I can somehow reclass a Brouni to a Dragoon since I haven't thought about crossing different races with different classes yet. I'm also kinda attached to some of the portraits in my team. lol

Top Bottom