• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

omlet

I've got the worm FOEs down to 5 turn kills with Fencer / Masuro | Warlock / Dragoon / Shaman without using union skills. Pretty clean kills if no one gets poisoned.

I'm so used to running bind/ailment teams so I'm not sure how this will really fare, but it seems pretty good so I'll probably run with this. The pugilist looks neat but when I was trying them out if you spec binds their damage is really bad at early game... but their skill trees look strong later.

I'd simply recommend assembling a team to cover a lot of bases. For instance, you're bound to face random encounters with a lot of enemies, so have a source of damage that hits lots of targets at once. And you're going to face bosses with a ton of HP, so have a good source of damage that hits single targets. And there's going to be enemies with elemental weaknesses (or resist all forms of physical damage), so have a source of elemental damage. Some form of healing, status removal and unbinding are also going to be important.

Whether to shut down bosses with binds, have a tank to block their attacks, and/or have somebody to deal status effects is up to your personal preference. But put together a team to cover a lot of the usual scenarios and you should be fine.

My undertsanding was that you could get any gathering node regardless, but the Earthlain bonus gives a bit more of all types and the other 3 gives even more but of only one specific type. I'm not sure you need specific races to get the stuff at all, just to get more of it. Maybe I'm wrong I haven't actually played the demo yet since I have a lot of stuff to play. At the very least I expected to be able to gather everything with an Earthlain, just not as much as the others.

The thing with Brounie is it seems kinda situational. The all rez thing looks ok as a recovery skill but your brounie needs to still be alive(granted if it's backrow with their high hp pool it should be fine), the block next skill is supposedly not that useful in this game compared to some others because you don't have to learn patterns and block that one kill everyone move and stuff, Haggle can be used by simply switching teams when you hit town to one with a Brounie in it and the item healing is nice if you want item based healing but depending on classes it's not super necessary. As for the Take, can always just grab a gathering party for them.

Personally my plan was to go without one cause I can't really find a setup I like that has a Brounie with the classes I want. I'll end up with 2Earthlains, 2Therians and 1Lunarians, should work out fine until post game anyway.

tuffy

Personally my plan was to go without one cause I can't really find a setup I like that has a Brounie with the classes I want. I'll end up with 2Earthlains, 2Therians and 1Lunarians, should work out fine until post game anyway.
It's not like you have to have any sort of race/class, of course. I just remember the times when my whole team would get hit hard by some boss's party-wide special move and it took putting up the shields or doing a mass heal in order to keep from getting wiped.

I wound up with at least one of all the race types without really thinking about it (2 Earthlains, 1 of the rest). Having lots of variety may come in handy down the line, but it's not a requirement either.

omlet

My undertsanding was that you could get any gathering node regardless, but the Earthlain bonus gives a bit more of all types and the other 3 gives even more but of only one specific type. I'm not sure you need specific races to get the stuff at all, just to get more of it. Maybe I'm wrong I haven't actually played the demo yet since I have a lot of stuff to play. At the very least I expected to be able to gather everything with an Earthlain, just not as much as the others.
Well, without the skill you can still gather, yeah, you just won't get the rare items very often, which could be troublesome for certain things (like needing Skunk Cabbage for...I think it was Nectars?).

I'm planning to put points into the gathering skills on my main exploration party, but I'll probably also have a gathering party to make runs for specific things.

Early copies hit NYC so I picked one up this past weekend:

8ysmi.jpg

I've always been a fan of Etrian Odyssey but the only one I've beaten is IV, lol. Love the gameplay but never really planned out my classes/skills. Just went in and tried whatever and had fun.

I currently have 2 separate teams, one as my main and the other for gathering but like it was said, because the gathering skills only cost 1 point, I may just have my main team equipped with it.

I bought my 2DS XL specifically for EO but got caught up in Monster Hunter Stories. Excellent game but sadly, EO will take priority now.

Appreciate all the tips you guys have been posting. Will definitely read up on them.

Zweizer

Banned
Alright I want to know what witchcraft Nachos used to, from a small, artifact-laden .jpg, manage to create huge, crispy clean icons, because by gum I'm struggling as heck with these. Even if I manage to clear out the noise, the fact that they're rather small means that they'd be blurry as sin upscaled.

omlet

Alright I want to know what witchcraft Nachos used to, from a small, artifact-laden .jpg, manage to create huge, crispy clean icons, because by gum I'm struggling as heck with these. Even if I manage to clear out the noise, the fact that they're rather small means that they'd be blurry as sin upscaled.

Vectoring I would guess. I don't know how to do it myself. I can putz around with some basic layering and composition stuff in something like GIMP or ye olde Paint Shop Pro, but it's not my forte and I don't know my way around Photoshop at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meanwhile in Europe...

3 weeks!

Digital is in 1week too if you don't want to wait/buy the game twice. Although it's unclear wether the saves are compatible between digital and physical. Also since there's no collector for EU there's a lot less point to physical version anyway imo.

Digital is in 1week too if you don't want to wait/buy the game twice. Although it's unclear wether the saves are compatible between digital and physical. Also since there's no collector for EU there's a lot less point to physical version anyway imo.

I literally only just saw that. I was confused when I read this earlier...

But I have it preordered for £25... And the digital copy will probably cost £35.

Oh jeez now I'm at an impasse.

You've just made my day. I thought we would have to wait the extra weeks before I got my dungeon on.

Considering the digital launch in Europe, does that mean we'll get the DLC at the same time? So if I do wait for physical, I can get the FM soundtrack day one!

Forward

I almost feel bad for the fact that I shall not buy the EXP or drop DLC.

But man... if they had a golden bud one...

The money grind is the only thing I can conscience averting.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
I also hoped some DLC would be free for a week. (EMD did this and so did U2, I think?)
I guess that’s an effect of the reduced price.
The Medic and Protector portraits tempt me, and the FM synth is a guaranteed purchase.

Guess I'm not getting the game till the 31st then. No point in me starting the game and getting the FM Synth DLC when I'm halfway done.

Nachos

I remember some people saying some of the FM tracks sounded like afterthoughts, but I haven't listened to many of the tracks other than the 3rd stratum's.

Nachos will get back and disown us all.
I made the 7th Dragon OT header image in Paint, and that's what most people remarked on. You just gotta put a good spin on things.

Well shit, I don't have a digital pen. Gotta improvise.
I don't have a pen or tablet, either. I was just using a mouse.

But I was using Adobe Illustrator. I don't know how the free vector software is.

Zweizer

Banned
I made the 7th Dragon OT header image in Paint, and that's what most people remarked on. You just gotta put a good spin on things.

Well, I hope omlet is good at spinning then!

I don't have a pen or tablet, either. I was just using a mouse.

But I was using Adobe Illustrator. I don't know how the free vector software is.

Well then, I salute your persistence and precise mouse control.

Sent you a PM asking for some advices, if you're not too busy.

If I wasn’t reviewing EOV already I’d be waiting until October 31 to play it. Absolute BS about the timing.

Having heard both from the official OST, I would’ve chosen FM for this game.

Gila Moo

Neo Member
Didn't know that Etrian Mystery Dungeon had an official artbook. Now if only I can snag the tenth anniversary artbook and the Etrian Odyssey V artbbok I I will have all the artbooks from the series.

omlet

I really need to just get used to the fact that any time I expect to have a slow day at work to work on... something other than work... that I won't have a slow day at work. You've sent me so much stuff you sure you don't wanna just make the OT yourself? lol

Soon as I'm done with my daily GBF farming I'll bust out notepad++ and get to work.

Also, late, but that DLC plan is kind of evil :\

Zweizer

Banned
I really need to just get used to the fact that any time I expect to have a slow day at work to work on... something other than work... that I won't have a slow day at work. You've sent me so much stuff you sure you don't wanna just make the OT yourself? lol

Soon as I'm done with my daily GBF farming I'll bust out notepad++ and get to work.

I need you to do the actual writing and take the hit if it ever goes wrong organize it all though!

yami4ct

Was gonna set aside my copy of EO5 aside for a while as it's such a busy year, but man the demo's really sold me. I was disappointed by the lack of subclassing, but seeing the classes in the demo and they are some of the more interesting ones I've ever seen in an EO game. Race skills are nice addition. I really love both the Dragoon and Rover especially.

Think I've landed on a party after the demo. Looking at Dragoon (Defense)/Rover (Hound)/Masurao (4 Sword)/Warlock (Omnimancer)/Harbinger (Deathbringer)

Probably not the best balanced party, I haven't thought about it too deeply, but it's the classes that most jumped out to me right away and doing that for the other EO games has worked so far. Also I refuse to use the dwarf class. I hate those portraits.

Shame we have to wait for the FMSynth DLC but I'll be playing this far longer than 2 weeks so I guess it'll be fine in the end.

Didn't know that Etrian Mystery Dungeon had an official artbook. Now if only I can snag the tenth anniversary artbook and the Etrian Odyssey V artbbok I I will have all the artbooks from the series.

im missing the EOU 1+2 book. IF you want the 10th anniv one, get the EMD2 CE from amaz jp. its dirt cheap. I need EOV as well but the CE and aucitons havent been cheap

Is Untold 2 worth the $50 price in NA, or should I wait for a sale?
V is the first EO game I’m getting at full price.

it has been half price a few times physically. it is totally worth 50 to me but not many agree.

Gila Moo

Neo Member
im missing the EOU 1+2 book. IF you want the 10th anniv one, get the EMD2 CE from amaz jp. its dirt cheap. I need EOV as well but the CE and aucitons havent been cheap

Thank you. If you're still looking for the EOU 1+2 book you can find it on otaku.com if you're willing to spend over $80 for it.

Top Bottom