• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V (3DS) scheduled to release August 4, 2016 more info upcoming Famitsu

FluxWaveZ

Furage stuff:

1. First-print copy bonus = Preliminary Soundtrack + Limited Edition booklet art book + DLC
2. Arslan = humans, Lunaria = elf, Serian = Beasts, Brany = dwarves
Classes announced: Fencer, Dragoon, Cestus, Reaper, Necromancer, Warlock, Herbalist, Sherman, Hero, "Masurao" (マスラオ ?), Hound.
3. Development is 60% done

Translation please.

Nachos

Also, I just realized that this is the first time we'll get modern Himukai-style class portraits. There's a huge amount of difference even comparing IV's portraits to the story cast's in Untold 2, so I'm sure things will look good and have nice, vibrant colors. Just hope the designs can match the art style.

It says the job classes will be brand new and that the character creator has a higher degree of freedom than before. What that actually means... we'll find out soon.
I'm expecting voice options; half expecting race options, going by those characters revealed; and thinking maybe custom color palettes.

duckroll

Character creation has a huge overhaul. 4 races plus gender, customizable colors for hair and eyes as well, 40 plus voices to choose from. Director says he wants more table top rpg style events in dungeons too.

Shun

Furage stuff:

1. First-print copy bonus = Preliminary Soundtrack + Limited Edition booklet art book + DLC
Classes announced: Fencer, Dragoon, Cestus, Reaper, Necromancer, Warlock, Herbalist, Shaman, Hero, "Masurao" (マスラオ ?), Hound.

Translation please.

Limited Edition of the game is 10778円 with the Soundtrack, art book, and DLC

Races is Aslan = Human Lunar = Elf Cerian = Beastkin Brani = Dwarf, small human

Fencer, Dragoon, Cestus, Reaper, Necromancer, Warlock, Herbalist, Sherman, Masurao is a hero, Hound class.

You can mix and match genders, race, and class freely. Choose one gender, one race, and class.

There are race skills, character skills, and you can change the hair, skin, and eye colors with several 40 voices to choose from.

Development is 60% done and more will be show during NicoNico PV.

You got it mostly right.

Nachos

Furage stuff:

Classes announced: Fencer, Dragoon, Cestus, Reaper, Necromancer, Warlock, Herbalist, Sherman, Hero, "Masurao" (マスラオ ?), Hound.

Translation please.
Seems like Masurao/益荒男 might be another samurai-like class, in the vein of Ronin and Bushi.

Nachos

Actually, the amount of VO is making me wonder how Atlus USA is going to localize the game. 7th Dragon III has Japanese audio only, presumably because it'd be too much for Sega to dub. I mentioned this in the community thread already, but they'd basically be forced to use actors with tons of range to keep the talent pool and VO budget at a manageable size if they don't go the same route.

Actually, the amount of VO is making me wonder how Atlus USA is going to localize the game. 7th Dragon III has Japanese audio only, presumably because it'd be too much for Sega to dub. I mentioned this in the community thread already, but they'd basically be forced to use actors with tons of range to keep the talent pool and VO budget at a manageable size if they don't go the same route.

They already did EOU1 and 2 though? Unless classes aren't voiced and it's just the preset story characters?

Scher

Those customization options all sound very nice, and there should be plenty of time for me to finish Untold 1 and 2 before it hopefully gets released in the US! Guess this will give me something to look forward to.

magnetic

Really looking forward to getting new info, after playing I-IV and the first remake I'm pretty much burned out on the series, but maybe there's some thing that reinvigorates my interest.

III is still my favorite stylistically.

That tiny screenshot with the blue sky looks great, I really love bright outdoor areas. Maybe this means we're getting more diverse environments rather than the "one skin per dungeon"?

Eolz

Character creation has a huge overhaul. 4 races plus gender, customizable colors for hair and eyes as well, 40 plus voices to choose from. Director says he wants more table top rpg style events in dungeons too.

Where do you see them going with that last one?

redcrayon

Sounds great, can't wait for this. I've been hooked on EO since the first game.

L~A

List of known VA:

Shouta Aoi
Satomi Arai
Akira Ishida
Touru Oukawa
Ayaka Ohashi
Yoshihisa Kawahara
Misaki Kuno
Mitsuki Saiga
Takuya Satou
Asami Seto
Atsuko Tanaka
Kousuke Toriumi
Jouji Nakata
Kaori Nazuka
Natsuki Hanae
Saori Hayami
Megumi Han
Youko Hikasa
Rina Hidaka
Yui Horie
Ayumu Murase
Tsubasa Yonaga

Minor/known details: random encounters, FOE, mapping on bottom screen, game can currently be played from beginning to end. Also, I think the class is "Shaman" (シャーマン), not "Sherman".

Nachos

They already did EOU1 and 2 though? Unless classes aren't voiced and it's just the preset story characters?
Untold 1 and 2's English releases never had to deal with more than 20 characters, only five of which were huge parts of the story. V has 40 voices, just for the player characters, on top of however many NPCs there are.

I recently ripped the audio for both games because I'm working with Behind the Voice Actors to ID some of the still uncredited actors. It doesn't seem like there's much when you're playing it, but the battle VO alone has tons of lines. Every character gets lines for pretty much every conceivable context the character could be put in, even if you're very unlikely to ever be in them. Even most of the NPCs have lines that only trigger in certain situations, most of which you might never hear. Now multiply that by more than 40 people if you don't double- or triple-book.

And I'd be really bummed out if they outright removed the VO to cut costs.

EDIT: Oh, wait. I misread. Yeah, only the story party is voiced. There's zero VO for the classic mode party, which is why including it in the character creation is a pretty big change.

Jouji Nakata
Interesting. He already voiced Visil in Untold 1, but I guess that was more of a bit part.

Sölf

Yes...? EOU2 just released here, so I probabyl have to wait at least a year until it gets a release in Europe. xD

Shun

List of known VA:

Shouta Aoi
Satomi Arai
Akira Ishida
Touru Oukawa
Ayaka Ohashi
Yoshihisa Kawahara
Misaki Kuno
Mitsuki Saiga
Takuya Satou
Asami Seto
Atsuko Tanaka
Kousuke Toriumi
Jouji Nakata
Kaori Nazuka
Natsuki Hanae
Saori Hayami
Megumi Han
Youko Hikasa
Rina Hidaka
Yui Horie
Ayumu Murase
Tsubasa Yonaga

Thank you for adding more 2:30 AM hard to concentrate on study and post

Anyway PACK IT UP SAORI HAYAMI IN THIS GAME NO OTHER VOICE MATTERS.

L~A

Sölf;197198773 said:
Yes...? EOU2 just released here, so I probabyl have to wait at least a year until it gets a release in Europe. xD

Actually, one year from now seems right from the NA release.

I mean, EOU2:

Japan: November 27, 2014
North America: August 4, 2015

Roughly 8 months.

So considering EOV is a brand new entry, with even more to localise (though I doubt they'll have 40 different voices... that game certainly isn't getting dual-audio, ha ha)... So 8 months for localisation sounds ok. That'd give a March 2017 release in North America.

duckroll

Minor/known details: random encounters, FOE, mapping on bottom screen, game can currently be played from beginning to end.

HOLY SHIT! This is some serious breaking news. What could Atlus announce next? Maybe if you press buttons on the 3DS you can confirm/cancel on the menu? Do you think if we put the cart in and turn the 3DS on, maybe, just maybe the game icon appears on the screen?

Sölf

HOLY SHIT! This is some serious breaking news. What could Atlus announce next? Maybe if you press buttons on the 3DS you can confirm/cancel on the menu? Do you think if we put the cart in and turn the 3DS on, maybe, just maybe the game icon appears on the screen?

Image if you were able to skill your characters in different ways. I guess the internet would explode.

PsionBolt

More tabletop-esque events? Count me in! Those moments are some of my favourite parts of EO.

...Unless they involve squirrels.

spiritfox

Sölf;197200357 said:
Image if you were able to skill your characters in different ways. I guess the internet would explode.

There are racial skills, but we don't know what exactly will they entail. I suspect it might lead to some race/class combinations being better than others.

More tabletop-esque events? Count me in! Those moments are some of my favourite parts of EO.

...Unless they involve squirrels.

They should add more squirrels.

duckroll

There's some more stuff from the interview coming out on the JP blogs. Apparently the director talks about how the subclass system in EO3 and EO4, along with the Grimoire system from the EOU games, made it possible for the player to create overpowered parties with no weaknesses. From the sounds of it, he seems to be trying to tackle the balance issue in EOV to be closer to EO1 where each job class is much more specialized and really good at just the role it caters to, hence making it harder to have an all round invincible party. He says achieving that is hard though.

Also the "Hound" class is definitely a ranger/tamer type class, since you can apparently name a pet if you pick that class. Oh and for the character customization, you can have odd colored eyes! Lol.

Nachos

Images starting to leak. Things are looking good. There's a big ol' angry bara dude.

Also, it seems that certain classes are associated with specific races. I don't know if that means that you can only choose certain combinations, though. Humans have fencer, dragoon, cestus, and reaper; elves have necromancer and warlock; dwarves have herbalist and shaman; and beastkin has Masurao + hound.

Chaos17

Source : Gematsu

The story is set in the new, unknown land of “Arcadia.” Character design is being handled by Yuji Himukai, who has handled character design for the series so far.

There are four races living in Arcadia:

• Arslan (human-like)
  • Lunaria (elf-like)
  • Cerian (beast ears)
  • Brani (dwarf-like)

10 classes have also been confirmed:

• Fencer (Arslan)
  • Dragoon (Arslan)
  • Cestus (Arslan)
  • Reaper (Arslan)
  • Necromancer (Lunaria)
  • Warlock (Lunaria)
  • Warrior (Cerian)
  • Hound (Cerian)
  • Herbalist (Brani)
  • Shaman (Brani)

Through character creation, you can finely tune coloring, as well give your character an odd eye (one eye that’s a different color).

Players can choose from the following voice actors for their character: Shouta Aoi, Satomi Arai, Akira Ishida, Toru Okawa, Ayaka Ohashi, Yoshihisa Kawahara, Misaki Kuno, Mitsuki Saiga, Takuya Satou, Asami Seto, Atsuko Tanaka, Kosuke Toriumi, Joji Nakata, Kaori Nazuka, Natsuki Hanae, Saori Hayami, Megumi Han, Yoko Hikasa, Rina Hidaka, Yui Horie, Ayumu Murase, and Tsubasa Yonaga.

The following are tidbits from an interview with director Shigeo Komori:

• The concept for the latest game is character customization with a high degree of freedom and dungeon exploration that tickles your adventurous spirit, as well as consistent battles and growth.
  • With the new races never seen in previous games, you can make a completely new character.
  • Voices are also introduced. However, similar to previous games, people who want to play without voices can choose to do so.
  • The Hound class is named for the pets it is able to use.
  • Dungeon exploration’s table talk RPG-ness has been enhanced.
  • The map on the lower screen, as well as the icons and controls have been improved.
  • The sub-classes of Etrian Odyssey III and IV, and the Grimoires of Etrian Odyssey Untold made it so you could make a team with no weak points. This one is being designed so that it’s harder to make a well-rounded team; all the classes have very specific roles, like in the first Etrian Odyssey.

Development is currently 60 percent complete.

Nachos

New info: beyond the more obvious class names, dragoons are the defense class, warlocks are elemental attackers, shamans use mysterious powers to "save" their allies, masurao wields four swords, and hounds command falcons and hunting dogs.

L~A

We haven't heard anything about the music, have we? Other than Yuzo Koshiro is composing, obviously.

Talking specifically of the music style. The Untold games had "classic" BGM, along with the modern arrangements, but EOV is a new entry so I guess it'll only be "modern style" music (like EOIV)?

Hopefully they don't take too long to release the soundtrack CD, loved the 3DS OSTs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The additions sound legit.

I'm a tad burnt out on the series though, and I was hoping this was an NX title so maybe that would make me care more.

Joyful

We haven't heard anything about the music, have we? Other than Yuzo Koshiro is composing, obviously.

Talking specifically of the music style. The Untold games had "classic" BGM, along with the modern arrangements, but EOV is a new entry so I guess it'll only be "modern style" music (like EOIV)?

Hopefully they don't take too long to release the soundtrack CD, loved the 3DS OSTs.

maybe both? both are good
4's music was divine

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sequel to the best 3DS game - looking forward to it. EO IV hasnt been topped so far.

vareon

More tabletop RPG situation sounds nice. I can't wait to make the life-or-death decision whether to smell flowers or not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This article has me excited about EO V.

EO IV and to a lesser extent EO III always disappointed me and the primary reason was sub classing. EO IV compounded that by having boring segmented dungeons and being far too easy. EO III kept the one large uber dungeon and instead used its world map as a giant puzzle game with extra bosses, a fair compromise. Races are always fun and considering they've been going that way with the world for some time now, and more table top like events just reminds me how fun the limited ones in the series have been so far and of Crimson Shroud of course.

So we've got race and class selection. So we got even more in depth character creation?
There are race skills, character skills, and you can change the hair, skin, and eye colors with several 40 voices to choose from.
THIS IS EVERYTHING I WANTED.

And I really hope the voices are just voicing the characters in battle AND NOTHING ELSE. If our characters talk in story dialogue... eh... ehhhhhhhh. I really hope because there is so many voices then it is only battle dialogue.

Praying for dual audio and for a timely European release date.

Thoraxes

I kinda hope Koshiro decides to create and follow through on the promise of an FM arrange OST after the game's launch. The delay and eventual disappearance of IV's was sad.

That being said, the orchestration and just overall quality of the tracks in IV were phenomenal.

Sölf;197203363 said:
Face reality.

I mean it was only:
Etrian Odyssey I: 15 Months after NA
Etrian Odyssey II: Never
Etrian Odyssey III: Never
Etrian Odyssey IV: 13 Months after NA
Etrian Odyssey Untold: 7 Months after NA
Etrian Odyssey II Untold: 7 Months after NA

Fuck. But guys, Persona Q was 3 days, surely Atlus can bring out Etrian Odyssey V out in Europe timely?
They won't because Etrian doesn't have Persona priority.

The dual audio is just as pie in the sky, if not more.

Just like a timely EU release. Hey ho!

Top Bottom