• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V (3DS) scheduled to release August 4, 2016 more info upcoming Famitsu

I passed on both Untold games, I just can't play EO games that frequently. They are very samey. I don't want drastic changes, I just need some space between 'em, and just skipping games works out for me.

That said, I am really looking forward to breaking out Excel again for this one. I found my crappy EO1 character building spreadsheet a while back and got a hit of nostalgia, haha.

MLH

By the time this come out I may be ready for the dive.

Considering EOU2 only released last week here in Europe, I imagine some people would complain of franchise fatigue if it released in Europe this year. And it appears a few people have still not completed EOIV and skipped the Untold games!
I'm already near story completion in EOU2 (I play these games too much lol)

Can't wait to hear some music samples! The OST is always a pleasure to listen to.

edit: It released three weeks ago. I was wondering how I made such progress in one week, I didn't, it took 3 weeks!

KarmaCow

Hopefully they nail not just the balancing but making each job uniquely valuable with subclassing out. Grimoires are tedious bullshit and I'm glad they're gone but the nature of subclassing makes picking your party more involved and interesting.

Hopefully narrative and story will be more sparse like the first two games because I like the sound of pretty much everything else.

Makonero

I started with III (didn't finish), loved IV (finished), didn't love Untold 1 (didn't finish) and I have Persona Q literally in my 3DS unplayed.

But I'd gladly play V first. Definitely one of my more anticipated games.

The cestus guy is a punchy class? I'm always in favour of punching things.

The female fencer already looks like potential waifu tier.

And that shaman looks banned tier

Kieli

It's weird. Part of the reason I was originally hesitant in trying EOIV was because I heard the story was bland/sparse.

After having played and really enjoyed EOIV, I'm not too keen on them shifting towards a more story-based approach. I'd rather have a "pure" dungeon crawling experience without too much story to bog me down. Save the stories and main characters for the Untolds/Remakes.

Delstius

The wait will hurt.

Disappointed that it sounds like sub-classing is out, but most everything else sounds promising.

Part of me agree, but I think it can be a good thing to get rid of sub-classing if that mean better balance and synergies between the classes.
At the very least they can't do worse than the grimoire system so there's that.

Chaos17

I passed on both Untold games, I just can't play EO games that frequently. They are very samey. I don't want drastic changes, I just need some space between 'em, and just skipping games works out for me.

That said, I am really looking forward to breaking out Excel again for this one. I found my crappy EO1 character building spreadsheet a while back and got a hit of nostalgia, haha.

I personaly started the franchise with the Untold serie and I'm a happy customer :)

All those customization options sound great. Can't wait to play this. EO IV probably is my favourite 3DS game to date; I was blown away by it.
I still have to beat EO 1 Untold. Stopped playing it for some reason. And with Untold 2 and Mystery Dungeon I have enough Etrian games to play until V arrives in Europe.
... I think.

Hobbun

Will be purchasing this when it is eventually localized.

Are they still continuing with the Untold games? It’s only been done up to EO2 so far, correct?

tuffy

Are they still continuing with the Untold games? It’s only been done up to EO2 so far, correct?
They're only up to EO2U so far, but nobody knows if an EO3U is pending. They haven't said they're not making any more, at least.
Does this do anything major to shake up the formula?
The race/class split alone is a big shake up in that there'll be race-specific skills. It sounds like character races take the place of subclasses, basically. It's still going to be a dungeon crawler so it's not a shake up like Etrian Mystery Dungeon, but mechanically there's already some big changes in store.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Are we sure races aren't tied to classes? The scan with the 4 Fencer portraits all look human to me.

The article states that the classes you can choose from are different depending on the race so yes. It's not 'choose any class with any race'. There will be classes that you can't choose with certain races

tuffy

The article states that the classes you can choose from are different depending on the race so yes. It's not 'choose any class with any race'. There will be classes that you can't choose with certain races
Ah, that's different from what's implied in the OP. But it makes sense if only to keep the number of portraits to a sane amount.

yami4ct

No subclasses is a bummer, but we'll see how race skills pan out. Hopefully there are some classes that play similar to Nightseekers and Imperials because those classes are super awesome. Looks like the Reaper might be Nightseeker like given the name and what I think is the portrait?

spiritfox

No subclasses is a bummer, but we'll see how race skills pan out. Hopefully there are some classes that play similar to Nightseekers and Imperials because those classes are super awesome. Looks like the Reaper might be Nightseeker like given the name and what I think is the portrait?

Looks like a mix between Nightseekers/Dark Hunters and Imperials. I'll probably use this class unless it sucks balls, cause fucking scythes.

Class skills look to be pretty generic support skills, not sure how I feel about it yet until we get more info.

Shun

Ah, that's different from what's implied in the OP. But it makes sense if only to keep the number of portraits to a sane amount.

Uh sorry I made this OP at like 3:00AM.

I'll update it in a bit with whatever new information that was leaked out while I was working or sleeping. Or until the Famitsu and Nico stream is up.

yami4ct

Looks like a mix between Nightseekers/Dark Hunters and Imperials. I'll probably use this class unless it sucks balls, cause fucking scythes.

Class skills look to be pretty generic support skills, not sure how I feel about it yet until we get more info.

A premixed Nightseeker/Imperial would be a hell of a class. An Imperial subed Nightseeker wasn't the most broken choice in EOIV, but it was by far the most fun I had i had in the game.

Looking at these classes, Hound and Necromancer are the ones that I feel like I know the least about how they'll play. Are we going to get some pet classes here? That could be cool. I could see Necromancer being a status effect based class like the Arcanist.

That Necromancer portrait is...something else. Oh well, EO gonna EO. If the gameplay is solid and that class serves a fun role, I don't care. If they don't seem useful, it'll be an easy member to cut.

duckroll

If there is an Etrian Odyssey VI. The End of the Long Myth sounds like a subtitle you would give a series finale.

I feel that this is the end of the current iteration of EO as a series. We have no idea if moving forward the next Nintendo portable will still have two screens too. After EO5, I expect the next major EO game to be approached in a brand new way, but I expect the series to still exist.

I feel that this is the end of the current iteration of EO as a series. We have no idea if moving forward the next Nintendo portable will still have two screens too. After EO5, I expect the next major EO game to be approached in a brand new way, but I expect the series to still exist.

Don't worry, plenty of time for Untold remakes.

Rutger

Banned
If there is an Etrian Odyssey VI. The End of the Long Myth sounds like a subtitle you would give a series finale.

The End of the Long Myth sounds like a subtitle picked so they'd have the perfect excuse to have another cover of the EOIII sailing boss battle theme.

And I'm okay with this.

yami4ct

I think it's interesting to see what they come up with in the future. While mapping may seem core to the franchise, and it in a lot of ways is, to me you could automap on a menu screen and not really lose much from moving to a single screen device. What makes EO to me is the sense of exploration. Making it through a dungeon by the skin of your teeth, barely making progress one little go at a time. It's that combined with a solid turn based battle system and full party creation. As long as they can keep those aspects, I'm fine at changing most everything else.

duckroll

I think it's interesting to see what they come up with in the future. While mapping may seem core to the franchise, and it in a lot of ways is, to me you could automap on a menu screen and not really lose much from moving to a single screen device. What makes EO to me is the sense of exploration. Making it through a dungeon by the skin of your teeth, barely making progress one little go at a time. It's that combined with a solid turn based battle system and full party creation. As long as they can keep those aspects, I'm fine at changing most everything else.

I feel automapping would change the tone of the series a lot. There's a reason why games which are very similar to EO like SMT SJ and Persona Q still don't -feel- like real EO games. The manual mapping absolutely contributes to the exploration experience in EO games. Even without dual screens, I feel it is a series which will always need to be on a platform with a touchscreen to replicate that experience.

this is good.

anyone else passed on all those remakes and spinn-offs?

I played I,II,III,IV at the time of release and finished them 100%,

I never had a need for remakes or anything, I am perfectly fine with one EO game every couple of years.

so V is going to be mine, and I will continue to ignore everything else

I am glad it's on 3DS, no need for new hardware

I and II Untold were so much better than the originals, especially II.

Top Bottom