• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

Flying Fish

Neo Member
I just beat the first stratum, and sheesh, money is tight in this game.

yes. As someone who kept losing until I was reminded I could do that, having the little ones on right and left be able to join in makes the fightt vastly more difficult

I barely squeaked by after also failing to realize that. Used up all my healing items and everything. Figured out that the boss explodes when it's fully constructed, so I timed my defense buffs accordingly.

I just beat the first stratum, and sheesh, money is tight in this game.

I barely squeaked by after also failing to realize that. Used up all my healing items and everything. Figured out that the boss explodes when it's fully constructed, so I timed my defense buffs accordingly.

Money gets a lot less tight a bit later, though that might change again. I currently have several thousand gold and I'm right before the second stratum boss (haven't tried facing it yet though)

Been running a 4 man crew for a little while since I'm not sure who to put in that 5th slot. There was a Fencer, but wasn't really feeling it.

ChrisD

Gosh this game is so good. I haven't reached a Boss yet, so I may get a tad frustrated at that inevitable brick wall, but so far I love it. All of the extra fluff from the Untold 2 was cool, but having V be so streamlined has made for a much smoother experience all around.

I like the Food system. A lot. It lets me stay in the Labryinth a lot longer, which is super handy since it seems there will be way fewer shortcuts compared to EO2U. It also just adds a cool sense of exploiting. I wish for one thing though: the Menu to move a biiiit quicker when I want to feed someone, say, five Forest Berries in a row. It does a short pause and that is enough to feel super sluggish when you want to feed multiple people multiple Food items.

I also have to make a relatively big complaint: the Draw Distance in this title is so bad. I haven't played IV in forever, but it didn't have this level of pop-in/out, right? I know EO2U definitely didn't. It's, ironically, causing me to look at my Map more often than I do the more lush visuals that (I presume) are causing the problem.

But I don't want to end on a complaint. I also enjoy the Unity Skills. They further the ability to stay in the Labryinth for longer periods of time with the Mana regen Skill. Once you've gotten a feel for a floor and feel safe enough, you can use two of those in a battle to gain a respectable amount of Mana back. The battle Skills are pretty big deals as well, Double Attack can really pack a punch!

Overall, I'm having a more enjoyable time with this title's early game than I did with EO4 (that was my first though, so I played stupid carefully: read, went back home too often), and EO2U, where all of the subsystems slowed early (and mid, and late) game by a fair clip.

...oh yeah, speaking of 4, the overworld was cool, but I think I prefer this one big dungeon. If 3 gets remade I'll happily play in an overworld, but I'm not saddened that V left it out.

E: to partake in an earlier discussion, I name my Guild whatever comes off ten top of my head that sounds good (...to me :p). This time it's 'Arvalour', pronounced more "Ar-vuh-loor' but can definitely be 'Ar-valor'. My first character was a Celestrian, so I had Arcane on the mind. Valor is valor. But I didn't just want to write a shortened "Arcane Valor", so Arvalour it is.

I beat Stratum 2 boss by a hair through the wonders of an evade tanking Fencer with Sylphid, and thus have earned the right to start giving characters their titles. I love that you can make a custom title name, so I gave each char one. And with that, I present to you the first edition of my guild card qr code for those who want to see my team and their titles
WVW69ktA2dAcRyiSZ2

Finally decided on a link Fencer to replace my boring Warlock.
So much better and it gives my Shaman more reason to exist on the early game.

P/D/F
R/S

spiritfox

I also have to make a relatively big complaint: the Draw Distance in this title is so bad. I haven't played IV in forever, but it didn't have this level of pop-in/out, right? I know EO2U definitely didn't. It's, ironically, causing me to look at my Map more often than I do the more lush visuals that (I presume) are causing the problem

They changed how the map loads in this game, instead of loading the whole level like previous games, they only load sections around you. This allows them to have more detailed environments, but it does decrease draw distance like you said. I don't mind it so much in the narrower sections, but you can clearly see it in larger rooms.

Giever

Hey guys, here's my team!

One problem I'm having is that I REALLY WANT A PUGILIST, I think. And I kind of want to replace my Masurao with one, but.. I want to have at least one of each race, and I want to keep the portraits in line with what class they are. :(

Lost to the first boss a couple of times at level 14. I've been able to get it down to about 1/2 health.

It's tricky. If I focus on attacking the body, then the boss grows too strong and I get overwhelmed. But if I focus on fighting the little ones, then the battle drags on too long and I run out of TP. Balancing that is difficult.

I'm really feeling the limitations of my fencer. She's my main damage dealer, but she can only really attack one enemy at a time, and she requires the other party members to attack that enemy too. It's good for taking down one particular opponent, but not so great at crowd control.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Have you raised the pillars to block off the reinforcements? Also, what's your team look like. I noticed if the boss is fully constructed, it'll explode and deal massive damage to everyone. Defend in advance.

ChrisD

They changed how the map loads in this game, instead of loading the whole level like previous games, they only load sections around you. This allows them to have more detailed environments, but it does decrease draw distance like you said. I don't mind it so much in the narrower sections, but you can clearly see it in larger rooms.

So it is the graphics that caused the change, but only in that they brought about a whole loading change. Interesting, and much more than I figured.

It mostly bothers me when I look across a body of water and know that there should be more land than what is shown. I think it also "pulls forward" important objects? There was a Golem I marked across a few blocks of water at a point, but when I actually got to it, the object was actually four whole spaces further back than what I jotted down ahead of time.

Which is like, on one hand, I'm glad that they make sure important objects can be seen.

On the other hand, in a game with mapping, seeing something that's not accurate effects me. :p

Hey guys, here's my team!

One problem I'm having is that I REALLY WANT A PUGILIST, I think. And I kind of want to replace my Masurao with one, but.. I want to have at least one of each race, and I want to keep the portraits in line with what class they are. :(

Probably won't help your issue but Pugilist is awesome. Super powerful already at Level 10, and they have lots of tools to play around with.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
This game is too good. Even when I want to put it down, there’s that desire to go and explore a bit more.
Reminds me of Etrian Odyssey II, which is my favorite EO, mostly because they both contain more creative classes.
The draw distance is my only main criticism. Couldn’t spot one of the FOE in the second stratum because of it.

Finally have time to dive in the game.

Thinking of having a party with a Pugilist, Masurao, and Harbinger on the frontline with a Necromancer and Shaman in the back. Could this work? I want to cover all my bases but am worried I might not have enough healing or damage tanking but I don't want to play it safe with party comp like I usually do.

omlet

Lost to the first boss a couple of times at level 14. I've been able to get it down to about 1/2 health.

It's tricky. If I focus on attacking the body, then the boss grows too strong and I get overwhelmed. But if I focus on fighting the little ones, then the battle drags on too long and I run out of TP. Balancing that is difficult.

I'm really feeling the limitations of my fencer. She's my main damage dealer, but she can only really attack one enemy at a time, and she requires the other party members to attack that enemy too. It's good for taking down one particular opponent, but not so great at crowd control.

I just beat the first stratum boss last night at level 16 on the first try without knowing what to expect. It was pretty close, and had one death, but won without having to retry! My party was F/M | W/D/S and my fencer and warlock were MVPs for damage.

What's your fencer's build? Are all your weapons +5? I pulled it off with 2 points in each chain skill, 4 points in Chain Boost, and 1 point int Chain Burst.

Wby on earth would they not include a casual difficulty like they did with Persona Q and Untold 2?

A pass for me.

PQ had it to capture the Persona fans who weren't EO fans and wanted to play for the story. Untold had it to let people breeze through story mode.

This game has an easy mode which is a first for mainline EO games, what more do you want?

Zweizer

Banned
omlet check your PMs.

Finally have time to dive in the game.

Thinking of having a party with a Pugilist, Masurao, and Harbinger on the frontline with a Necromancer and Shaman in the back. Could this work? I want to cover all my bases but am worried I might not have enough healing or damage tanking but I don't want to play it safe with party comp like I usually do.

Any party (of different classes) can work. It's just up to you to adapt aroudn your party if needed, such as using items. Necromancer can tank reasonably well with wraiths, while Shaman can cover healing to an extent.

Wby on earth would they not include a casual difficulty like they did with Persona Q and Untold 2?

A pass for me.

There is. The Basic difficulty is the equivalent to Casual and Advanced is equivalent to Normal, as laid out in the OP.

omlet check your PMs.

Any party (of different classes) can work. It's just up to you to adapt aroudn your party if needed, such as using items. Necromancer can tank reasonably well with wraiths, while Shaman can cover healing to an extent.

There is. The Basic difficulty is the equivalent to Casual and Advanced is equivalent to Normal, as laid out in the OP.

I didn't see it in the demo. Was it disabled or something?

Not at all, you go into the options and it's there.

Then its still not anywhere close to being as easy as Untold 2. EQ4 was difficult for me for instance, and Untold 1 was harder than Untold 2. In Untold 2 I could pretty much dominate FOEs and explore at leisure never being frustrated by death or choosing the wrong build. EQ4 I pretty much died all the time and this seems on par given my experience with the demo. Same with Persona Q.

Plus, this article pretty much confirms it
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...redibly-difficult-but-honest-about-the-danger

Zweizer

Banned
Then its still not anywhere close to being as easy as Untold 2. EQ4 was difficult for me for instance, and Untold 1 was harder than Untold 2. In Untold 2 I could pretty much dominate FOEs and explore at leisure never being frustrated by death or choosing the wrong build. EQ4 I pretty much died all the time and this seems on par given my experience with the demo. Same with Persona Q.

Untold 2's Picnic difficulty was the easiest of the entire series, lol.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but is there a skill to heal you after battles / while walking in this game? Thanks!

Shamans do, but you need their Herald Legendary Title to have access to it.

Zweizer

Banned
Ok so Necromancers can summon wraiths but how do they soak up damage because these first floor enemies are ignoring them.

The skill Fierce Shield gets a Wraith to shield the entire party.

Thanks! Is that something that's just unlocked through progress?

Legendary Titles are unlocked once you reach a certain point in the game. You'll have to spend skill points in order to have the healing skill itself though.

omlet

This article praises the game's design for keeping you engaged and on your toes with a continuous loop of new, incremental challenges and new, incremental solutions. I'm not sure it is really accusing EOV of being any more difficult than any other game in the series. If anything, I've felt like it has been on par or easier than past games (on equivalent hard/normal difficulty mode), but admittedly that is undoubtedly due partly to series experience.

PK Gaming

EO5's basic difficulty is easier than EO4's casual mode. In basic, you take 20% less damage, deal 20% more damage and earn 20% more EXP. What you're expecting is completely unreasonable because Untold 2's picnic difficulty mode was pretty cheat mode for those who just wanted to experience the story. (Damage inflicted: 455%, Damage taken: 15%, Health recovered: 300%). There's no real story of note in EO5 so it's 100% unnecessary.

It does not because she played on Advanced. The entire point of the article is that EO has just about the best implementation of difficulty in the genre. If planning ahead and being diligent sounds unappealing to you, then steer clear.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah that article is entirely positive about EOV's difficulty, lol. Either way, it's fine if you find it too difficult and don't want to deal with that. Everyone has different expectations for the games they want to play after all.

jonjonaug

The way I see it Advanced is "actually playing the game" mode and Basic is "grinding after you've beaten the FOE types on the current floor in Advanced" mode.

FluxWaveZ

Oh, so Basic is pretty much the game's "Easy" difficulty. That's why I found the game to be pretty easy thus far; I wish that was made clearer in-game. I'm 10 hours in, so maybe I'll restart everything on Advanced.

FluxWaveZ

Why wouldn't you play in the hardest difficulty available anyways.

I usually play games on whatever the "intended" difficulty level was, which is usually "Normal." It being my first EO game and the game telling me that "Basic" is intended for that purpose made me think that "Advanced" was something different, but it really should have just recommended me to go with that one instead.

Zweizer

Banned
I usually play games on whatever the "intended" difficulty level was, which is usually "Normal." It being my first EO game and the game telling me that "Basic" is intended for that purpose made me think that "Advanced" was something different, but it really should have just recommended me to go with that one instead.

Playing the Untold games in Expert difficulty is the authentic experience though!

I only played Classic.

=P =P

Why you!

tuffy

Normal in Untold is actually... Normal, in terms of balance, right? Other than the QOL issues, which don't really do much to help against bosses.

Hard in Untold 1 is pretty hard. And in Story mode, you have a bit less party freedom to bust the game.
Picnic in Untold 2 is the only really ridiculous one since you can practically auto-battle your way through the whole game. The easier difficulty levels in the other games still require some care and planning in order to survive.

Picnic in Untold 2 is the only really ridiculous one since you can practically auto-battle your way through the whole game. The easier difficulty levels in the other games still require some care and planning in order to survive.

Well I enjoyed the picnic mode and didnt care about the story at all. It was fun crushing everything in my way.

Plus it had premade builds (so did Persona Q). With its absence now I am no longer interested in it.

I like easy games that present a very low challenge. If I want to be challenged, you have daily life for that. Gaming should be conducive to relaxation, not frustration imo

Oh well, maybe Untold 3 will happen on Switch!

Zweizer

Banned
Well I enjoyed the picnic mode and didnt care about the story at all. It was fun crushing everything in my way.

Plus it had premade builds (so did Persona Q). With its absence now I am no longer interested in it.

I like easy games that present a very low challenge. If I want to be challenged, you have daily life for that. Gaming should be conducive to relaxation, not frustration imo

That's a fine reason to enjoy gaming. Just that it's generally not what the Etrian Odyssey games aim for, lol. Untold 2's Picnic mode was more of an anomaly. The series is known for its challenging difficulty and lack of pre-made characters.

tuffy

I don't think the developers themselves are quite sure how to move the series to a single screen system like the Switch, but I hope they'll think of something.

In the meantime, I think it's likely the final EO game for the 3DS will be Untold 3 just to finish it up.

Whizkid7

Man...I'm having a dilemma. I want to make a Rover. I want to use one of the falcon portraits. The problem arises in that the falcon portraits are all female - I want it to be a guy.

My guild and my characters are all based off an old guild my friends and I had in another game. So to be authentic, I'd need a male falconer. It's just the portrait I know, but it's gonna bother me! I could maybe jury rig that last portrait to look sorta male...? What do?!

omlet

Oh, so Basic is pretty much the game's "Easy" difficulty. That's why I found the game to be pretty easy thus far; I wish that was made clearer in-game. I'm 10 hours in, so maybe I'll restart everything on Advanced.

You don't have to restart, just go to the options menu and change the difficulty while you're in town.

Man...I'm having a dilemma. I want to make a Rover. I want to use one of the falcon portraits. The problem arises in that the falcon portraits are all female - I want it to be a guy.

My guild and my characters are all based off an old guild my friends and I had in another game. So to be authentic, I'd need a male falconer. It's just the portrait I know, but it's gonna bother me! I could maybe jury rig that last portrait to look sorta male...? What do?!

Could use the "plain" therian portrait, or wait for DLC portrait, or just squint real hard. I'm using the short-haired harbinger portrait for my female harbinger even though it's 'technically' one of the male portraits.

Neoweee

I don't think the developers themselves are quite sure how to move the series to a single screen system like the Switch, but I hope they'll think of something.

In the meantime, I think it's likely the final EO game for the 3DS will be Untold 3 just to finish it up.

I don't think it is that hard to imagine something like holding down R2 full-screens the map and puts it in edit mode.

I'm usually stopping for a second when I add map features, anyways. It's okay to make it slightly clunkier.

Quadraxis

At floor 8 atm and really enjoying my time with the game. Exploring in EO just feels so good. Only thing i have trouble with is enemies that resist all physical elements, as i have no source of elemental damage. Disabling them solves it kinda, but takes a little while longer XD

Also looking for some advice. Looked into the second names for the party members i use and all are pretty obvious for me, except one. I don't really know what i want to do with my masurao. The party i have at the moment is (with legendary titles that i want to use):

Masurao (?) / Harbinger (Deathbringer) / Pugulist (Barrage)
Botanist (Merciful Healer) / Dragoon (Shield Bearer)

i'm not sure what to choose, so maybe you guys could give me some insight ;)

Top Bottom