• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

Quadraxis

Reached the second boss. The second stratum is really nice. Music is good and some really nice environmental puzzles in combination with the FOEs.

Tried the second boss once at lvl 25, this seems like a huge step up from the first one.
Is there any indication when hes going to use sky dive? That attack plus the lightning one really wrecked my party. The sky dive followed by wing shield is really a pain in the ass. My party was in shambles after the attack so he could just heal everything off
. Well, for a first run i got him 60% down, so its time to make a strategy now. Also, maybe its time to upgrade my armor a little bit and hunt some FOEs for their drops XD

ZeroX03

Banned
I’ll pick this up at some point but I’m still so far behind in this series. I’m like 2/3rd through EOIV and PQ. I’ve got both Untold games sitting there. I forget if I bought Mystery Dungeon or not.

6F has so many opportunities for recovery that I did the entire floor in one go and was still over 70% TP on everybody when I hit 7F and decided to return to town.
Cool enemies there, though.

Ulong

This first boss is pretty brutal for my Fencer/Harbinger Warlock/Necro/Botanist set up. I think it was a mistake assuming my necromancer wraiths would be able to do damage, and building as such. All those points in Wraith attack should have been put into their health so they could tank more damage or something.

I just defeated it on the third try! He was much less stubborn with the super moves (like the Stomp, Punch and Petrify) this time. I wasn't kidding with that second round.

But to answer the question, my party is Pugilist, Fencer, Masurao, Shaman, and Herbalist. All Level 14. I did block off the side golems, but more enemies still spawned into the battle. How bad is the fight if you don't do the blocking?

My Pugilist One-Two Punched unless Hail Prayer and High Ground was up, then she did basic attacks because it's more safe than hoping for extra attack Procs. Shaman was the item user and buffer. Herbalist used healing nearly every turn, thanks to Explode. Fencer just Predicted pretty much every turn lol. On the two loops where I Soma'd (and had Hail Prayer up) she could attack, but that was it. Finally, Masurao just attacked the whole fight, sans the few High Ground turns. I also made sure to use my Back Row's Double Attack with him as often as possible, since he has my highest damage per attack. (The other two Front Rows have Resuscitate, so I hold onto their Union Bar most of the time).

My Fencer had no Links, and that probably would have helped a lot. I'll throw at least one level into each on her next three levels. Also, I focused on the Body the entire time. I didn't see the point in killing off small baddies if they just replenish. Even without Links I could take one out per turn, but unless there was a definitive end, what's the point?
Wow you didn't kill off the small baddies? That was the only way I could beat the fight, otherwise I got overwhelmed. The point of killing them is that you can prevent the golem from exploding, since it won't explode until every body part is attached. Also there's just fewer attacks coming at you if you kill them off.

My strategy was to kill the little baddies when they separated, but focus on the main body when they were attached. Because I think they have higher defense or HP or something when they're attached, so there's not much point in attacking them then.

It's cool that your strategy worked though. I like hearing what different people do.

Neoweee

Still in Stratum 1, but this feels like the best EO to date, at least of the main numbered games. I kind of miss the world map of 4, though.

What class gets a Repel-type skill that reduces the encounter rate? I've seen the increased rate, and instant chain-battle, but no repel. What happens if you use the Chain Battle skill while you have the increased rate/exp skill on?

Still in Stratum 1, but this feels like the best EO to date, at least of the main numbered games. I kind of miss the world map of 4, though.

What class gets a Repel-type skill that reduces the encounter rate? I've seen the increased rate, and instant chain-battle, but no repel. What happens if you use the Chain Battle skill while you have the increased rate/exp skill on?
Warlock's invisible skill lowers encounter rate. I haven't tried it myself though.

Warlock gets reduced combat.

omlet

I have it skilled on one of my extra warlocks for gathering team. It's quite effective. Can usually both of floor 3's Chop points without a single encounter.

Pepboy

Any word on whether Atlus USA dropped the ball again on localization? Still wary after Persona 5's engrish

Just to say "heavy rain," as many things fall as there are countries in the world.

I doubt something as dangerous as your group could've been pulled off with orthodox methods.

Principal: You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown, but you will behave yourself here.

Neoweee

Warlock has the reduce encounter rate skill.

Shit, I dumped the Warlock, but he's probably coming back. Masurao doesn't appear to really have a lot to offer my team (Pugilist Harbginer in front, Rover and Botanist in back).

Decisions, Decisions. I tried to stay away from a "normal" team this time-- no Chaser, Defender, or Mage basic classes, but I needs the Repel.

The localization SEEMS fine, but then I also tend to miss some of the more fine localization errors. I recall EOU2 being particularly egregious sometimes.

I've been happy with the localization. It's fun, and the English is pretty natural imo. Most of the voiced lines are particularly great (as this thread's title makes a point of). I'm also a fan of stuff like Jenetta's jokes.

Graciaus

Do you get an item eventually to fast level up a character? I'm finding my Botanist to not be very useful. When she isn't healing she just defends which happens a lot. My dragoon's decoys soak up most of the damage. I'd like to try the shaman but I'm already level 14. Unless the game gets a lot harder later on.

PK Gaming

The localization more than lives up to the standard previously set by AtlusUSA.

P5 was just an unfortunate exception. An obvious rushjob

I have it skilled on one of my extra warlocks for gathering team. It's quite effective. Can usually both of floor 3's Chop points without a single encounter.

That's a good idea. Gotta try that.

On the 3rd boss. Faced him a few times but I either ran out of TP or just straight up played stupidly, lol.

Going to try again when I get home.

Did my first attempt of the 1st boss and got it down to 25% HP left fighting it the hard way. Everyone's on the verge of 18, so I'll level em up first then face it again the easier way.

Rutger

Banned
A lot of us played the demo which let you go up to floor 3. I'm on floor 6 now, so that means I've only gone 3 floors since the game released, too.

Oh right. I only played the first floor of the demo then restarted to change up my team.
Still, I see some posts saying they're in the third stratum or beyond. I've been too busy to get that far, haha.

Oh right. I only played the first floor of the demo then restarted to change up my team.
Still, I see some posts saying they're in the third stratum or beyond. I've been too busy to get that far, haha.
Hispanicguy got the game over a week early, haha. I think spiritfox had it early too so that's why they're multiple strata ahead.

MoonFrog

Sometimes I do wish to try the other classes; have an expanded guild and all. I did grow in EOIV after a certain point. Forget when, but by the end I was using a medic when I hadn't had a dedicated healer character for the earlier portions of the game.

I've been using (in this game):

Fencer, Dragoon
Warlock, Rover, Botanist

Of those, probably having the most fun with the rover--I like the animals, regen, defense debuff, etc.--although my chains are getting decent on the fencer.

The warlock is quite central to my damage output but I think I'm not using her points as well as I could. I've been putting points into the general benefit skills--mainly the magic master skill and the quick chant one. The thing is a) I want to promote general utility and b) I don't know if there are other, better "replacement" spells down the road that are better places for the points. But the elemental chains have overtaken her in damage potential quite noticeably, so I think I need to level the individual spells up too.

The botanist is pretty boring, but I've been focusing on his healing, which is rather straightforward, not his status effects.

Dragoon is okay. He does his job well enough but haven't been charmed by his abilities yet.

1upsuper

Can I get a tip on what specialization to pick for my Warlock?

I've got

Pugilist/Marusao
Warlock/Necromancer/Botanist

My pugilist and Marusao will probably end up being a link engine. Botanist will probably focus on healing. But I dunno what to pick for my Warlock. Since she's my only elemental spell user, should I go omni? Actually, what would be a good pick for my Necromancer too?

omlet

Hmm, what's the trick to getting the conditional drop from the volt rodents in stratum 2? I got it once somehow, and I thought I killed it with volt damage, but I've done that again at least 5 times and never got another drop, so it must have been something else...

spiritfox

I've been happy with the localization. It's fun, and the English is pretty natural imo. Most of the voiced lines are particularly great (as this thread's title makes a point of). I'm also a fan of stuff like Jenetta's jokes.

Jenetta's the best bunny.

Hmm, what's the trick to getting the conditional drop from the volt rodents in stratum 2? I got it once somehow, and I thought I killed it with volt damage, but I've done that again at least 5 times and never got another drop, so it must have been something else...

Kill with bash damage.

Everyone is going fast, I'm only on the third floor, haha.

Hispanicguy got the game over a week early, haha. I think spiritfox had it early too so that's why they're multiple strata ahead.

Lol, yea. Having a 1 week head start really helped :p

Just beat the 3rd boss. Took my time and made some adjustments in terms of when to use certain moves. Much better with TP usage.

Before going to the 4th Stratum, I'm going back to beat previous FOE's.

Will probably grind for better weapons as well.

Because the Botanist is mainly here for healing, I've equipped her with a Slumber Bow. It's a weak weapon but it's there to try and put enemies to sleep. I may equip my Shaman with something similar. Maybe something that can poison? Want to give myself a few more options for when the party is in a good position.

Did I mention this game is awesome?

Ferrio

Banned
You guys are making me jealous, I have it sitting here next to me but I told myself I can't play it until Danganronpa V3 is finished.

jonjonaug

So I excitedly made my Masurao a 4Kat Hell Slash build after unlocking Master classes, but then I realized looking through my other classes that Harbinger has no multi-hit attacks and the Warlock's upper tier skills are all "one hit to all enemies", so I can't build my party as a proxy of my EOIV one.

Party right now is 4Kat Masurao/Deathbringer Harbinger/Shield Dragoon/Elementalist Warlock/Botanist. I think I need the Dragoon so the Masurao doesn't die in one hit every turn, but I'm a bit miffed that chain parties seem to be harder to put together this time around compared to EOIV. Is there something I'm missing with this party, or do I need to Retire a couple of my party members to make this effective? Can I Rest my party members as they are without retiring anyone and salvage something out of this?

yami4ct

Everyone is going fast, I'm only on the third floor, haha.

I got to the end of the second stratum to unlock Legendary Names and now I'm waiting for the FM Synth DLC, so everyone is gonna blow past me hahaha. It's a bummer that that shit is 2 weeks out but I can already tell I'm gonna marathon this thing so if I keep going I probably will finish the game before it hits.

Hyoukokun

I love that you can rename the classes at the Master Class level (and also the guild master's recommendation of "stabdaddy").

Do dead characters still not get xp at the end of battle? I've been restarting whenever someone dies just so all my guys stay the same level but it's been costing me a lot of time.

DMiz

The localization more than lives up to the standard previously set by AtlusUSA.

P5 was just an unfortunate exception. An obvious rushjob

While I would have vehemently argued against this a while ago, the more I look back and think about that game, the more I agree.

There was definitely something 'off' about the localization that has made it less memorable with time. There are just no charming moments that come off the top of my head.

Granted, I'm also one of those weird people that take issue with Persona 5 as a game overall, since I found that it didn't live up to the hype/expectations that I had built up for it. I still find more of a special place in my heart for P4 and 3 rather than 5.

omlet

Do dead characters still not get xp at the end of battle? I've been restarting whenever someone dies just so all my guys stay the same level but it's been costing me a lot of time.

They don't. I'd stop wasting your time on that and just accept the exp bars of chaos lol. They'll all get back in sync at level cap :D

Neoweee

Uh... am I missing something?

The crustacean FOE on 3rd floor goes into "Watching" stance. I defend, but my fucking Rover pet hits it, so it counters and kills my defending back row.

Is "Watching" just a Focus/Charge attack, or is it a Counter attack that kills me because I can't control my pet.

omlet

Bind the legs of those common white goat monsters. If you don't have any party members that do it, the bind leg item from the shop works well on them.
Not for me, it hasn't :(

Uh... am I missing something?

The crustacean FOE on 3rd floor goes into "Watching" stance. I defend, but my fucking Rover pet hits it, so it counters and kills my defending back row.

Is "Watching" just a Focus/Charge attack, or is it a Counter attack that kills me because I can't control my pet.

I think it's a tell turn (charging), but I didn't have to experiment much because after dying to it once, I just did Magic Shield (Warlock), Mana Guard (Dragoon), and Hail Prayer (Shaman) and kept attacking and still took like no damage.

Neoweee

Not for me, it hasn't :(

I think it's a tell turn (charging), but I didn't have to experiment much because after dying to it once, I just did Magic Shield (Warlock), Mana Guard (Dragoon), and Hail Prayer (Shaman) and kept attacking and still took like no damage.

Yeah, I still couldn't figure it out, but just stacking every buff/debuff was enough to at least survive while defending.

So, the same-turn Charge with Warlock replaces the regular Charge? So I can't use the lower TP option anymore?

omlet

So, the same-turn Charge with Warlock replaces the regular Charge? So I can't use the lower TP option anymore?
Yep. You don't get a choice, so it's not a good skill to pick up early-game since you can't afford it. (Same general rule about upgrading a skill as always applies to EO but this one is a little more deceptive than usual.)

Neoweee

Yep. You don't get a choice, so it's not a good skill to pick up early-game since you can't afford it. (Same general rule about upgrading a skill as always applies to EO but this one is a little more deceptive than usual.)

Well, that's crap. It is clearly better late game, but early game she seems like she's just ruined for now.

That's something I've always hated about the series. It kind of got better with the later entry of the sentries, but this is a throwback back to EO1/2 levels of weird skill tree progressions.

Top Bottom