• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

Well, that's crap. It is clearly better late game, but early game she seems like she's just ruined for now.

That's something I've always hated about the series. It kind of got better with the later entry of the sentries, but this is a throwback back to EO1/2 levels of weird skill tree progressions.

I made it a priority to max out quick chant, because its TP cost drops all the way to 5. I feel like that's small enough to be occasionally useful in the early game. I won't be using it every turn, but good for when I need some clutch damage.

Neoweee

I made it a priority to max out quick chant, because its TP cost drops all the way to 5. I feel like that's small enough to be occasionally useful in the early game. I won't be using it every turn, but good for when I need some clutch damage.

Yeah, I'm basically on that track now.

Beat the 1st boss and made it to the 2nd stratum. Boss fight was still a bit taxing, but manageable otherwise. The enemies in the 2nd stratum are really making me concerned about my current team as I'm noticing plenty of flaws. Maybe it's the way my characters are built or something. I'll figure it out later, mostly happy I'm making some progress.

Also the lines for the 'sultry' voice over are hilarious. Trying to escape from a battle and she's like, "Oh, you must be lonely..." or when placing skill points and lets out a "So gooooood!" Slays me evey time lol.

So I've been debating with myself whether I should make my warlock an omnimancer of an elemancer.

I want to play the character for big elemental damage, so elemancer seems like the obvious choice. But then I see omnimancer has multistrike chant, which seems like it will play very well with my fencer. Also altar seems a good fit for the fencer too.

What do other people think? Would omimancer actually allow me to do more damage overall, considering the fencer? I know elemancer has higher stats, so that's my main concern.

omlet

Mapped most of floor 9. Found stairs to 10. Went back to town and grabbed gathering team to go hit the nodes that had respawned before resting/saving and going out for another push of exploring. Got ambushed. Died. Realized I hadn't saved. I'm back on floor 8 again. It's not EO game if I don't do this at least once per game.

Ha, so I'm up to floor 17.

I found the master key and went back to 3f/4f and unlocked the doors there.
Got the Training Orb which gives exp to each active member when you take a step.
I then went to a boss floor where there are no encounters and set up auto-walk. I'm currently gaining experience while typing this post.

It's not totally broken since you need to get into a battle to level up, but it's pretty close!
I'm not gonna go too crazy here but it's a fun novelty.

Ha, so I'm up to floor 17.

I found the master key and went back to 3f/4f and unlocked the doors there.
Got the Training Orb which gives exp to each active member when you take a step.
I then went to a boss floor where there are no encounters and set up auto-walk. I'm currently gaining experience while typing this post.

It's not totally broken since you need to get into a battle to level up, but it's pretty close!
I'm not gonna go too crazy here but it's a fun novelty.

Oh figured that item would just give more exp per battle so I sold it. Might need to rebuy it near the end game then since it sounds pretty useful for postgame grinding a character back up after retiring them

slayn

needs to show more effort.
oh hey, sites back. neat.

I had intended to save Etrian for next month but I haven't had the willpower to stay away :(

Finished the first stratum and I'm just now starting to realize just how crazy one-two punch is on pugilist. I thought it would occasionally do 1 followup attack but now I'm realizing it can do multiple. Once those attacks are all maxed out, getting triple follow ups sounds crazy. And maxed out it looks like over 25% to hit all 3 follow ups.

GeekyDad

oh hey, sites back. neat.

I had intended to save Etrian for next month but I haven't had the willpower to stay away :(

Finished the first stratum and I'm just now starting to realize just how crazy one-two punch is on pugilist. I thought it would occasionally do 1 followup attack but now I'm realizing it can do multiple. Once those attacks are all maxed out, getting triple follow ups sounds crazy. And maxed out it looks like over 25% to hit all 3 follow ups.

Cool. I haven't yet invested in the skill because I wasn't sure yet how worth it was.

I'm actually on my third save file. I started three times because I just wasn't sure about my team. I'm still finishing up floor 2 of the first stratum. :p

MLH

Would appriciate an invite to the discord if the conversation is moving there.

Love EO and want to follow with the fans on GAF.

Haven't progressed far in the past week, only on 2nd Stratum, cleaning up the quests on each floor and have a comfortable amount of cash now.
Party is starting to really show it's strengths:

Dragoon - Fencer
Warlock - Rover - Shaman

Focused on passive healing & chain damage. Shaman with bow can do pierce damage to chain link if my Rover is needed for a status heal. Seems to be working well for me.

I miss the alternate stuff 3 & 4 offered (sailing and balloon riding), sailing was particualrly fun in 3.
So far 5 is my third favourite EO (favourite being 3 then 4) but we'll see how it shapes as I progress.

Hope everyone else is enjoying this.

slayn

I miss the alternate stuff 3 & 4 offered (sailing and balloon riding), sailing was particualrly fun in 3.
Oh man, I definitely miss this stuff. I loved 4's over-world and 3's sailing... puzzle... thing? 3 in particularly has at times made me wonder if there were bigger games that were just that mini game expanded. That would be sweet.

Neoweee

The Harbringer's +EXP/+Encounter rate skill... increases the EXP of FOEs and Bosses. Seriously? Doubling the experience of bosses is freaking huge.

GeekyDad

Can someone explain the me the Harbinger's "miasma armor"? It says something about using to initiate a special stance, but really, I have no practical sense of what it does. Does it increase defense? Set her up for a special attack? Honestly, I'm not noticing anything of value from it.

Neoweee

Can someone explain the me the Harbinger's "miasma armor"? It says something about using to initiate a special stance, but really, I have no practical sense of what it does. Does it increase defense? Set her up for a special attack? Honestly, I'm not noticing anything of value from it.

A bunch of the skills either require it, or do additional things if the Miasma is active.

The two sub-classes/titles for Harbringer are focused on either consuming it for benefit, or bonuses when it is active (I think that's a fair breakdown?)

GeekyDad

A bunch of the skills either require it, or do additional things if the Miasma is active.

The two sub-classes/titles for Harbringer are focused on either consuming it for benefit, or bonuses when it is active (I think that's a fair breakdown?)

So, it's more of a catalyst? It doesn't really do anything by itself?

Excited to get some EO to play again. Shocked how soon after NA this is hitting EU too.

It's glorious. It's looking like Ultra Sun will be the first Pokémon game I haven't bought day one in well over a decade because of this. Want to focus my attention on one RPG.

Alastor3

Im in need of a new Etrian Odyssey. The last one I have played is number 2 I think... and since I don't want to play them all, which one is the best one? I know V just came out so I don't know if you guys will have a definitive answer for me. Thanks!

Verilligo

So, it's more of a catalyst? It doesn't really do anything by itself?

Increases action speed, actually. You have a 2.5x boost at max level. That, plus it being required for certain effects to activate for certain moves, or to be consumed by moves other than that.

Neoweee

Im in need of a new Etrian Odyssey. The last one I have played is number 2 I think... and since I don't want to play them all, which one is the best one? I know V just came out so I don't know if you guys will have a definitive answer for me. Thanks!

I really like 4 on DS, but it is a bit slower than 5. It wasn't until Untold 1 that they massively increased the game speed.

slayn

I would read up on how 4 has more of like an overworld that you're traversing with an airship to visit many different dungeons. If you find that idea appealing, I would go for 4. But if you prefer the crawl through a single giant dungeon then its either 3 or 5 I think. 4 is also the one I remember being the most puzzle-y which was another big component of why it is my favorite so far.

Alastor3

I would read up on how 4 has more of like an overworld that you're traversing with an airship to visit many different dungeons. If you find that idea appealing, I would go for 4. But if you prefer the crawl through a single giant dungeon then its either 3 or 5 I think. 4 is also the one I remember being the most puzzle-y which was another big component of why it is my favorite so far.

ohhh i like puzzle-y, I might pick it up, especially since the price is very good compared to V or U2.

edit, just found out a thread i've made in 2016, im so stupid.. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239435

Verilligo

I would tend to agree with this. The fourth entry, in all honesty, is probably the best balanced of the series. That's not to say there isn't lots of OP stuff, but rather than it being limited to a few classes, pretty much every class is equally good and capable of their own ridiculous combo and can actually compliment the ridiculous combo of another class at the same time.

I also find the pacing to be supremely on point, with the mini-dungeons and shorter, but more considerably main dungeons to really help keep things fresh throughout the game. The overworld is a dungeon all its own and works well to compliment the rest of the game, actually giving the entire thing a semi-Metroidvania vibe. Rather than just locking things away until you have X key, you continually improve your ship, gain additional items, and proceed through events which unlocks more and more of the pre-existing overworld for you to go back through. Then when you reach the end, you get taken on what amounts to a best of the best tour of everything you've done up to that point and when you realize what's going on, it's very satisfying to get through.

And then you reach the sixth stratum and get ambushed by a lion, a ghost, and a pile of electric goo. Dammit.

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
So I'm wondering if this would be a good game for me. I got like 3/4 of the way through Persona Q and got bored. It seemed like a lot of the mechanics of the game (if I recall) was trying to hoard MP and getting off Light/Dark insta-kill moves with Naoto.

I'm a Persona 4 fan, but the writing in the game was not on par with the main games and wasn't really enough to keep me around.

If I'm understanding, EO games have a very similar combat system (and the mapping system), but I'm wondering if there is a little more depth. If I've got a 3DS, which game would be the right one to try to start with? Or was Persona Q probably as much as I'm going to get out of EO?

EO is way way better than PQ, but if you're looking for dialogue and relationships you won't find it here.

I beat the main quest tonight!
I hit the level cap and the last guy still tore me up. felt so good to down him though.

edit: oh and EO4/5 have great demos that will clue you in on the series' strengths. just get one of those. both are good.

Verilligo

EO4 likely has more story to it than EO5, but that's not saying a whole lot. They're really not story-central games... although EO3 likely did the most superb job possible with its story. Personally I'd get the demo for EO4 and then go from there.

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
I'm not bummed if there's no story at all. I'm just hoping to find the combat a little more varied than what was in PQ. I'll try the demo, thanks!

GeekyDad

First stratum boss was pretty cool. A nice challenge.

If I'm understanding, EO games have a very similar combat system (and the mapping system), but I'm wondering if there is a little more depth. If I've got a 3DS, which game would be the right one to try to start with? Or was Persona Q probably as much as I'm going to get out of EO?

I'd recommend EO Untold -- the first one if you're still interested in giving the series a chance. Yeah, the gameplay in all of these games is very much the same. There's a decent story and presentation in Untold. It's fairly generic, but it's decent enough.

Newk86

Where the heck is the free theme for the Euro store already? I've been checking daily.

I notice that they've released the DLC for the game all at once, but still no theme.

And no sign of the free Culdcept Revolt theme that the US got either. I'm guessing that EU can probably expect both around the time (if at all), but it's still just Halloween stuff on there at the moment.

Top Bottom