• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

Roarer

(source: I work at a large Nordic retailer)

We just got word from Nintendo (or rather, their Nordic distributor Bergsala) that the NES Classic Mini has reached its end of life and will be phased out. According to them production has ended and we will be receiving a few more shipments before everything dries up.

By our estimates, we (as a single retailer) might not be able to fulfill all orders that have been placed so far. Our last shipment should arrive in April or May, and after that there won't be any more shipments.

I have heard from other retailers that they've received the same information. Some of them are emailing customers to tell them that their order might be cancelled. (for example: https://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=329312&p=4411297 )

This all seems insane and I can't really understand what Nintendo is thinking.

EDIT:

Norwegian retailer confirming this: https://www.facebook.com/spillsjappa/posts/1247404862008627

EDIT2: Yes this could apply just to the Nordic countries. We got word from Bergsala, the general distributor for the Nordic countries. They said nothing about the worldwide situation, of course. Not sure why the Nordic market would be singled out like this though.

MrDaravon

This....seems completely insane and cannot be true?

In the US I still have literally never seen one in person at a store, they're always sold out.

Surely this is just for this part of the world right? They aren't THAT idiotic to do this worldwide (before I can actually see one with my own eyes let alone buy one).

jonno394

Virtual console NES games prices incoming!

This is their way of pre-empting the "But Nintendo, we have 30 NES games for £50 here, why are you charging £5 each now?" question......

hobozero

Maybe they are ending distribution in Europe early? or they feel the Mini might cannibalize Switch sales? Or the piracy thing scared them off?

I looked for a Mini for 3+ months before giving up and building a RetroPie. Oddly enough the only ones I ever saw in retail were in Super Potato in late November. Should have picked one up, would have made a good souvenir :) I assumed they would be everywhere when I got back to Canada :(

L~A

What the hell? That totally goes against everything they've said so far (aka: will keep shipping more units throughout 2017). Their handling of that console has been nothing short of baffling, tbh.

What a complete clusterfuck this entire situation was and didn't even have to be. It was too hard to have some preorders open, I guess.

Roarer

I do hope this is some kind of weird communication error, but it has all but disappeared from every single Nordic retailer, so the information is true at least. Whether it's a temporary thing (a way to give some breathing room for the pending Switch launch?) or a poorly communicated shift in production/shipping schedules, I don't know.

Why Nintendo, why

They are about the launch a new console where they plan to sell n.e.s games via the virtual console.
The NES classic mini has been hacked and certain people can add any game for free.
Sure they might make some money from the initial sale of the console but in the long run it's damaging for them.

Perhaps to be replaced with a revised version that makes adding ROMs more difficult?
Possibly but they would be better off focusing on the switch for now.

Isurus

Well, looks like I won't be getting one then. It'd be a neat novelty to have, but I'm unwilling to camp out and I'm not interested in paying a scalper 2x+ (heck, the retail price is already steep for what it is).

bman94

The fuck Nintendo? It can't cost much to manufacture these things. Nintendo can't possibly think that this would jeopardize Switch sales.

Turrican3

In November last year, we brought back the nostalgic Famicom and NES home consoles in palm-sized versions and shipped the entire quantity of Nintendo Classic Mini Family Computer units we initially prepared for each market. We apologize to our consumers and retail partners for the inconvenience caused by product shortages. Some parts require time to procure, but we are working to increase production.

The hell?!
Kimishima literally stated in the latest investor meeting that they were working to actually increase production.

Feeroper

I always said that Nintendo was using it as a means to increase brand value by having that hot item. Now that Switch is so close, they probably want that to be the focus. The NES Classic did its job, it got their name back into the general publics mind in time for their push for the Switch.

I suspected they didn't care about any money made off of the NES classic, or at least that wasn't the primary function.

Bendo

I'm highly skeptical as well, especially as to whether his is worldwide

It's definitely true for Scandinavia. From Norwegian retailer spillsjappa.no:

Nå er det offisielt.
NES Classic har utgått fra sortimentet til den Nordiske Nintendo importøren Bergsala AB.
Dette er tragisk for oss og våre kunder da de ikke vil fulllevere ordren vi la inn i Juli 2016.
Det kommer leveringer i Mars og April og deretter er det slutt :-(
Vi vil kontakte alle som står i kø hos oss og de som satte seg i køen sist vil få de triste nyhetene på epost først.
Vi vil fortsatt følge køen slavisk selvfølgelig og de som står først til enhver tid vil få levert først.
Vi kan bare beklage dette da vi først fikk beskjed om at vi snart kunne levere til alle og så kom kontrabeskjeden om at slik blir det ikke.
Roughly translated: They've received notice that their order placed in July 2016 won't be fulfilled, despite promises it would be. Last delivery in April, and that's it.

EMPLOYEE: This system is selling well, Mr. Kimishima, but it doesn't look like we are shipping enough to meet demand. Do you think we should...

KIMISHIMA: SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!!!!!11!!!

Feeroper

The fuck Nintendo? It can't cost much to manufacture these things. Nintendo can't possibly think that this would jeopardize Switch sales.

Well maybe they are about to announce plans for the new virtual console for the switch which will offer a wider variety of old games?

And scalpers loved Nintendo even more.

Maybe Nintendo wants people to buy Switch and Switch only. Has 3DS been restocked in the US after the holidays?

My guess is they feel the product devalues the perceived worth of these roms especially since the hardware was so quickly hacked to run their entire library and then some.

In other words, I bet they will abandon this concept so you can look forward to high virtual console prices.

Top Bottom