What? - The UEFA European Championship is a football competition held every four years featuring the national teams of European countries.
When? - Begins Friday, 8th June 2012 - Ends Sunday, 1st July 2012
Where? - Poland/Ukraine
Current Holders - Spain
Republic of Ireland
Euro 2012 - BBC Sport
Euro 2012 - Fox Soccer
Euro 2012 - Wikipedia
Euro 2012 - Broadcasting rights
Official UEFA EURO 2012 app for iOS (UK)
Official UEFA EURO 2012 app for iOS (US)
Official UEFA EURO 2012 app for Android
Official UEFA EURO 2012 app for Windows Phone
Flag png's are linked here in the Forum Avatar request thread
1. Sign up here - http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/
2. Pick your squad (the players selected % is a good assistant - check out who is getting picked)
3. Click leagues tab
4. Click join a league
5. Click private league
6. Click next
7. 121901-28627 is the classic ladder league
124143-29051 is the H2H league
8. Update your team before right before the tourney starts and regularly check to ensure you maximise points.
Main Prediction League (free): http://www.kicktipp.de/eurogaf/?language=en_GB[/b]
Rules are the following:
- 7 Bonus Questions: 4 points per answer (Groupwinners, Semifinalists, Winner and Country of the top goal scorer)
- win: 2p (tendency), 3p (goal difference), 4p (result)
- draw: 2p (tendency), 4p (result)
- results are after extra time (could change it to after penalties?)
- predictions are open until 5 minutes before kickoff (bonus questions have to be answered at least 5 minutes before the first match)
Wager League ($10 entry fee)
Please discuss the rules / prizes for the wager league with Phantast2k.
Euro 2012 Venue Guide
See in Google Maps
Warsaw - National Stadium
Wroclaw - Municipal Stadium
Gdansk - PGE Arena
Poznan - Municipal Stadium
Kiev - Olympic Stadium
Donetsk - Donbass Arena
Donetsk - Metalist Stadium
Lviv - Arena Lviv
Competition History & Facts
1. The modern UEFA European Championship has two parts: a series of qualifying groups played in the two years preceding its second part, a finals tournament. The finals are staged every four years in a different country.
2. The competition began in 1960 as the European Nations' Cup, the brainchild of Henri Delaunay. Then the final tournament consisted of four teams who survived a knockout competition played over the previous 2 years.
3. The 1960 competition was almost cancelled for lack of support after many countries left it late to apply.
4. The name 'UEFA European Championship' was adopted in 1968, the same year as knock-out preliminaries were replaced by the modern qualifying round.
5. There have been ten winners: Soviet Union (1960), Spain (1964, 2008), Italy (1968), Germany (as the Federal Republic of Germany/West Germany in 1972, 1980 and as Germany in 1996), Czechoslovakia (1976), France (1984, 2000), Netherlands (1988), Denmark (1992) and Greece (2004).
6. The finals tournament has been played in 13 countries: France (1960, 1984), Spain (1964), Italy (1968, 1980), Belgium (1972), Yugoslavia (1976), Germany (1988), Sweden (1992), England (1996), Belgium and the Netherlands (joint hosts 2000), Portugal (2004), Austria and Switzerland (joint hosts 2008).
7. Denmark initially failed to qualify for the 1992 finals, but were invited to play when Yugoslavia were thrown out because of their civil war; Denmark won.
8. The four-team final tournament was expanded to eight teams in 1980 and sixteen in 1996, with 48 taking part in qualifiers.
9. The largest attendance in competition history was a qualifier between England and Scotland at Hampden Park for the 1968 competition. 130,711 were there.
10. In 1960 the Spanish team were withdrawn by their right-wing government rather than play the impressive, and communist, Russians.
Groups & Fixtures
On completion of the group games the top two teams from each group progress to the knock-out stages.
Kick off times are UK British Summer time (CET+1/EST-5/PST-8)