• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krixeus

93gpuHL.gif

Party like it's 2004, Justiça

obama-sweating-2-e1427916038978.jpg

I have to say belatedly that I am ecstatic for Portugal’s win last night. Our captain was taken down early in the game and our team solidly soldiered on to win the game for our country.

Obrigado Éder! You always had fire in your belly, you shots historically often missed the target but last night you gave us the best goal for your country. I am very proud of you!

I am trilingual and I was appalled by the trashing from various media outlets were constantly negatively trashing our team.
The French media, the British Media, the American media, I don’t understand German but I do know that Lowe openly said that Portugal didn’t deserve the win.
But you know what caralho, we won and we beat all odds..

Everyone wants beautiful football, beautiful, like our Golden Generation of 2004-2006. But what did beautiful get us? A multi-talented stacked squad lost on home soil in Lisbon in 2004. Two years later, a diving Thierry Henri cost us the semi at the World Cup (2006).
Fast forward 12 years later, a new generation of young players not looking to be starts but looking to be a team, paired with veterans who have seen the best and worst of times. Together, team.

I am really proud of our squad. Our country needed some good news and finally Fernando Santos delivered.

Obrigado Fernando.
Obrigado Cristiano
Obrigado Rui Patricio
Obrigado Pepe
Obrigado Renato
E um muito grande obrigado Éder!
Obrigado a todos!

Now, we will march onto Moscow and march forward for the World Cup.
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões, marchar, marchar!

cyen

Even the moth wanted some of that famous salty tears that CR7 delivered all over the globe yesterday.

Even though i work in Lisbon i have a lot of french coworkers, a walk on the park they said before the match.. so good today, best monday ever.

It's always a shit tournament when the stupid teams you support crash and bomb. Internacional football is not about spectacle, it's about entire nations wearing their heart on their sleeve. Each time you get closer to the final, the more your heart threatens to rip its way out.

If you rather watch 300million€ vs 300million€ teams, fine tuned over the years, stick to the CL but you'll still need luck to not get a boring game. Hell, considering the odds, most of us support a fairly average team in a mediocre league, that does dick shit at an international level.

Yah Portugal won, suck it.

When you have a mishmash of players of varying quality available its a lot easier to make a good defensive team rather than an offense focused one. If Portugal played open football they would have been destroyed with their current line-up.
Also a lot of the better players tend to be winded from having played so many matches(that helped Leicester as well).

So riddle me this.

Why was the Copa America such an exciting tournament to watch even for neutrals while the Euro Cup was pretty much complete ass outside of the Iceland and Wales cinderella stories?

Theory 1: Is it because the Euros expanded to 24 teams, therefore diluting the competition? Making it easier for offensively inept teams to advance? In a 16 team format, when only the top two teams can advance out of the group stage, a team has to demonstrate at least some offense to advance. Cynical teams tend to scrub out at with 3 points or less. Whereas when you allow cynical teams to advance to the knockout rounds, the advantage suddenly swings in their favor because they can just play for PKs.

The problem with this argument is that this still happened in the old format when Greece won in 2004.

Theory 2:The style of play in general is more cynical and cautious compared to the New World countries. The Copa America tournament this summer also had its minnows but the games were just more open overall. It seems more teams came out to compete rather than stay in a turtle shell.

Kill3r7

So riddle me this.

Why was the Copa America such an exciting tournament to watch even for neutrals while the Euro Cup was pretty much complete ass outside of the Iceland and Wales cinderella stories?

Theory 1: Is it because the Euros expanded to 24 teams, therefore diluting the competition? Making it easier for offensively inept teams to advance? In a 16 team format, when only the top two teams can advance out of the group stage, a team has to demonstrate at least some offense to advance. Cynical teams tend to scrub out at with 3 points or less. Whereas when you allow cynical teams to advance to the knockout rounds, the advantage suddenly swings in their favor because they can just play for PKs.

The problem with this argument is that this still happened in the old format when Greece won in 2004.

Theory 2:The style of play in general is more cynical and cautious compared to the New World countries. The Copa America tournament this summer also had its minnows but the games were just more open overall. It seems more teams came out to compete rather than stay in a turtle shell.

Having watched both tournaments I think Theory 2 sounds more plausible. However it is worth noting that the top European teams are more pragmatic and better defensively. That said, I have yet to watch a boring Chile game since WC 2010.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

given the results of recent world cups, "coming out to compete" would mean coming out to lose when playing against uefa teams. i certainly prefer south american football as entertainment, but it is pretty clear that at present they are unable to compete with the best european teams.

longdi

Banned
Euro teams have been destroying SA teams for awhile now. Euro are more organised, makes better use of technology and as a result more clinical and boring

Black_Red

given the results of recent world cups, "coming out to compete" would mean coming out to lose when playing against uefa teams. i certainly prefer south american football as entertainment, but it is pretty clear that at present they are unable to compete with the best european teams.

What?

World cup 2014 https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Mundial_de_Fútbol_de_2014
Brasil, Chile, Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay pased group phase,(Only Ecuador lost there).
Then Chile and Colombia were defeated by brasil, and both Argentina and Brasil lost to Germany. In that world cup only Germany eliminated 2 south american teams.

Confederations 2013 https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_FIFA_Confederaciones_2013
Both Brasil and Uruguay passed group phase. Then Brasil defeated Uruguay and won the Cup.

World cup 2010 https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Mundial_de_Fútbol_de_2010
Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Brasil, and Chile passed group phase. Then Brasil defeated Chile and every CONMEBOL team lost to a UEFA team (Germany, Spain and Netherlands).

Confederations 2009 https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_FIFA_Confederaciones_2009
Was also won by Brasil.

Yes, Spain and Germany won the last 2 cups, but I'm not seeing this big UEFA superiority. When we usually are eliminated between ourselves in the world cups :c

Baleoce

Happy with Wales' campaign overall. Far exceeded anyone's expectations, Won 2/3 games in the group stage, and won 4 games overall. Got arguably 2 of the best players in the tournament in Ramsey and Bale. Robson-Kanu scored the goal of the tournament, and we ended up losing to the winners in the semi finals. All that from a team who hasn't even been in a competitive international tournament since 1958. Have a think over that.

What?

Brasil, Chile, Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay pased group phase,(Only Ecuador lost there).
Then Chile and Colombia were defeated by brasil, and both Argentina and Brasil lost to Germany. In that world cup only Germany eliminated 2 south american teams.

Confederations 2013 https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_FIFA_Confederaciones_2013
Both Brasil and Uruguay passed group phase. Then Brasil defeated Uruguay and won the Cup.

Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Brasil, and Chile passed group phase. Then Brasil defeated Chile and every CONMEBOL team lost to a UEFA team (Germany, Spain and Netherlands).

Confederations 2009 https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_FIFA_Confederaciones_2009
Was also won by Brasil.

Yes, Spain and Germany won the last 2 cups, but I'm not seeing this big UEFA superiority. When we usually are eliminated between ourselves in the world cups :c
supporters of a UEFA team don't care if other UEFA teams get KOed by a CONMEBOL team

we are not CONCACAF

Banned
Happy with Wales' campaign overall. Far exceeded anyone's expectations, Won 2/3 games in the group stage, and won 4 games overall. Got arguably 2 of the best players in the tournament in Ramsey and Bale. Robson-Kanu scored the goal of the tournament, and we ended up losing to the winners in the semi finals. All that from a team who hasn't even been in a competitive international tournament since 1958. Have a think over that.
Your matches were fun to watch. I wished Ramsay and Davis weren't suspended for the match against Portugal.

I love Bale. It was nice to see him scoring.

And that fierce red dragon in your flag is awesome. I love your flag almost as much as Portugals :p

IceCold

Small shout out to Sporting CP for producing so many players that ended up on this team. With Benfica and Porto investing in their youth players too, Portugal has a bright future. Hopefully the FPF uses the winnings from this to further invest in the sport instead of buying nice cars and houses.

MV88G0s.jpg

flozuki

I have to say belatedly that I am ecstatic for Portugal’s win last night. Our captain was taken down early in the game and our team solidly soldiered on to win the game for our country.

Obrigado Éder! You always had fire in your belly, you shots historically often missed the target but last night you gave us the best goal for your country. I am very proud of you!

I am trilingual and I was appalled by the trashing from various media outlets were constantly negatively trashing our team.
The French media, the British Media, the American media, I don’t understand German but I do know that Lowe openly said that Portugal didn’t deserve the win.
But you know what caralho, we won and we beat all odds..

Everyone wants beautiful football, beautiful, like our Golden Generation of 2004-2006. But what did beautiful get us? A multi-talented stacked squad lost on home soil in Lisbon in 2004. Two years later, a diving Thierry Henri cost us the semi at the World Cup (2006).
Fast forward 12 years later, a new generation of young players not looking to be starts but looking to be a team, paired with veterans who have seen the best and worst of times. Together, team.

I am really proud of our squad. Our country needed some good news and finally Fernando Santos delivered.

Obrigado Fernando.
Obrigado Cristiano
Obrigado Rui Patricio
Obrigado Pepe
Obrigado Renato
E um muito grande obrigado Éder!
Obrigado a todos!

Now, we will march onto Moscow and march forward for the World Cup.
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões, marchar, marchar!

You mean Löw? Then you are wrong. He said that Portugal hasn't really convinced him (before the final) and that the new rules are not good. There was no real hate against Portugals team.

I went home to lunch and ended up almost in the middle of the parade. Everyone was filming everything. In portrait. Even the players. More than celebrating people were filming each other. People in their balconies just filming. In their cars. In the sidewalk. Filming. Filming. Filming.

Later one I went back to work and the big stage where the players went to talk is right next to where I work , so I went and check. Another filming session. It's sort of a collective filming session. Players, staff all filming and the people film right back at them. Just bizarre. Who's going to watch this in the future?

I went home to lunch and ended up almost in the middle of the parade. Everyone was filming everything. In portrait. Even the players. More than celebrating people were filming each other. People in their balconies just filming. In their cars. In the sidewalk. Filming. Filming. Filming.

Later one I went back to work and the big stage where the players went to talk is right next to where I work , so I went and check. Another filming session. It's sort of a collective filming session. Players, staff all filming and the people film right back at them. Just bizarre. Who's going to watch this in the future?
This is the world we live in now, its pretty sad. Same thing was when the Cavaliers won the NBA championship, their parade was 90% of people/players filming. Itll only get worse too.

What?

Was also won by Brasil.

Win is and understatement. They dominated. Going into the tournaments, betting on Spain and Germany was a pretty safe bet.

Also, Brasil got demolished by Germany. That 7-1 was a shock to their fans, but whoever saw their previous games new they had a weak defense.

I swear this tournament will decrease football's viewership numbers irreparably. Awful, awful tourney that did not get better at any point. Not a single memorable game in fucking 30 days.

Alucard

Banned
I swear this tournament will decrease football's viewership numbers irreparably. Awful, awful tourney that did not get better at any point. Not a single memorable game in fucking 30 days.

Portugal vs. Hungary and England vs. Iceland were both pretty memorable. And Italy vs. Germany was great for the Zaza shenanigans. I think many will remember at least these; not to mention the fairytale runs of Iceland and Wales in general. "Irreparable damage" is much too strong a word for what this tournament did, though I will co-sign that the group stage was largely forgettable and bland. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say the group stage was trash for hyperbole's sake. Things didn't get interesting until Iceland's win against England.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Haha. Probably you have a weak memory.

A lot of interesting (for one or the other reason)/good games:
Croatia - Spain, England - Russia, England - Wales, Italy - Belgium, Portugal - Iceland, Portugal - Hungary, Italy - Spain, England - Iceland, Belgium - Wales, Germany - Italy and even France - Portugal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. Probably you have a weak memory.

A lot of interesting (for one or the other reason)/good games:
Croatia - Spain, England - Russia, England - Wales, Italy - Belgium, Portugal - Iceland, Portugal - Hungary, Italy - Spain, England - Iceland, Belgium - Wales, Germany - Italy and even France - Portugal.

Lots of these are only interesting because of the drama at the time or because they didn't meet expectations. Actual good matches I've bolded.

I make that 4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Lots of these are only interesting because of the drama at the time or because they didn't meet expectations. Actual good matches I've bolded.

I make that 4.

What can I say? I like drama.

Italy - Belgium was also good. And Portugal - Hungary was entertaining.

The one match I went to (Turkey VS Czech Republic) was awesome. End to end counter-attacking, tension heartbeats etc.and everything since both teams needed a result to stay in the tournament/go through.

Unfortunately it was on at the same time as Croatia-Spain so nobody outside of the 2 countries watched it.

The format definitely needs to change though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom