• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
b6fwMYo.png

Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Official Topic]

This is the official Topic for ETS2. We need a proper place to discuss the game, so here we go!

What is the sim about?

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a driving simulation game by SCS Software released on October 19th 2012 for the PC only, where the player drives trucks across dozens of cities all over Europe, taking jobs and delivering cargo to earn money and experience. At the start of the game the player can only choose from a variety of “quick jobs”, driving for other companies who supply the truck and fuel for you. Earned money can be spent on a variety of things like purchasing your own truck, upgrading and detailing your truck, opening your own truck service, buying garages, and hiring drivers to work for you. Experience is used to improve your skills and abilities, allowing the player to drive longer distances, carry dangerous cargo, drive more economically, boost money and XP earned, etc.

The game world is a condensed version of Europe, sprawling across thousands of miles of highways and country roads, allowing the player to visit 69 cities in a dozen different countries:

Austria [4 cities]
Belgium [2 cities]
Czech Republic [2 cities]
France [8 cities]
Germany [21 cities]
Italy [3 cities]
Luxembourg [1 city]
Netherlands [3 cites]
Poland [3 cities]
Slovakia [1 city]
Switzerland [3 cities]
United Kingdom [18 cities]

There is a very comprehensive and easily accessible in game map, showing all roads and cities, along with every cargo destination, hotel, fuel stop, toll booth, repair shop, and other locations in the game world. The roads start out grey but turn yellow as you drive on them, allowing the player to know where they have been and where they have yet to explore. Some locations like truck dealers and recruitment agencies need to be discovered in order to be used.

Where to buy Euro Truck Sim 2:

Link to the Steam page
Link to the Amazon store page

Links to Reviews and Media:

Link to the awesome Giant Bomb quick look at ETS2
The Fantastic trailer for ETS2 on Youtube
Wiki page for ETS2
Stockoglaws Let's Play series on Youtube
Rock Paper Shotgun's really nice writeup on ETS2.

Recommended Mods for ETS2:

There are hundreds of mods available for ETS2, here are some of the better ones recommended by GAF members:

TSM Map Pack v4.1
Realistic Physics Mod v7.0 (ETS2 v1.4.1+)
Realistic Trailer Textures (WARNING: this one also lowers job pay to make the game "harder")
Real European Companies Mod

Add New Radio Stations to ETS2:

Link to pastebin data for new radio stations

Just download this to your "Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\" and replace/rename your "live_streams.sii" with this one. All the stations are categorized and all the BBC ones here work. This adds 461 extra radio stations to the game!

Various Screenshots of Euro Truck Sim 2 (taken by Mengy):

Watched the Giant Bomb QL when it came out and thought it looked really interesting. I don't own a driving wheel though, so is it worth, or even possible, playing the game with an Xbox controller?

Downloading the demo as we speak. Always thought the graphics looked very impressive for what it was, and anything with a cult yootoob following is bound to be worthwhile.

Mengy

Watched the Giant Bomb QL when it came out and thought it looked really interesting. I don't own a driving wheel though, so is it worth, or even possible, playing the game with an Xbox controller?

Yeah, I play it with an Xbox 360 pad, and it plays great. Works with wheels too though, and even Track IR.

It's on sale right now for $10 on Steam, flash sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/

Sethos

Banned
Excellent game, great to just drive around and listen to the radio, enjoy the view.

Only 'problem' is you need to get a wheel, it's the ultimate experience. Just not the same with a keyboard or controller.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
As someone who drives trucks and other heavy machinery for a living I have quite an interest in this game. Unfortunately I haven't owned a pc for 10 months since moving overseas. Shame because this is one game I'd really love to play since I use to play pc driving sims regularly.

I watched a QP on it the other day, apparently dual monitors and playing in 3D is sublime.

One day, one day.

Ferrio

Banned
I bought it when it was on flash sale. I was pretty disappointed that for a simulator it's very... lackluster. You think a sim game would actually penalize you more for driving like an idiot.

Sethos

Banned
I bought it when it was on flash sale. I was pretty disappointed that for a simulator it's very... lackluster. You think a sim game would actually penalize you more for driving like an idiot.

It's a budget sim, can't expect the world.

Card Boy

Banned
Game is really good people. It's 80% truck simulator and 20% business management. Also reverse parking a semi-trailer is impossible.

Mengy

Yeah, it's more of a sim-lite game, but it has more gameplay in it than most simulator games do. It strikes a nice balance for the most part. And you do get penalized for speeding and hitting traffic and running stoplights and such, so you can't really drive like an idiot unless you don't mind pissing money away!

Addnan

Game is great, bought it at launch. No regrets.

I hope people don't think it's just you typical 'simulator' shovelware. This is actually a great game!

Pimpbaa

Love this game. A little slow going at first (literally since the trucks you can afford at first are weak). Avoid UK jobs since there are cameras like everywhere giving you tickets, and france has way too many toll booths.

Sethos

Banned
Love this game. A little slow going at first (literally since the trucks you can afford at first are weak). Avoid UK jobs since there are cameras like everywhere giving you tickets, and france has way too many toll booths.

Avoid the UK as they drive on the wrong side of the road :p That messes me up constantly.

sunnz

Using a wheel, playing some good music and driving in game was a pretty awesome experience, a lot more relaxing and enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Munin

Game is great, bought it at launch. No regrets.

I hope people don't think it's just you typical 'simulator' shovelware. This is actually a great game!

And since this is SCS' first game with real mainstream exposure (and positive one at that) I hope they can make the next one with a much bigger budget.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Game is really good people. It's 80% truck simulator and 20% business management. Also reverse parking a semi-trailer is impossible.

"Where we're going, we don't need manageable reverse functions" [hits enter button]

eXistor

Just bought it. I usually never go for these types of games. I always really like the idea of these games, but the execution is always shit, but this one is actually good (so I hear, it's installing right now). Kinda excited to try it out and chill on the open road.

jet1911

Bought the game today but I can't get the internet radio station to play. :(

I remember playing the demo and the radio worked... I want my euro radio to go with my euro truck driving.

Card Boy

Banned
In case anyone wants to know, the game is really gorgeous, very well optimized and is a under 900 meg download. Blew my mind.

This is the only game I've ever played that nails the feeling of going on a road trip. My only beef is that you have to wait until level 12 to get an in-dash gps.

Avoid the UK as they drive on the wrong side of the road :p That messes me up constantly.

Tut tut we fine Great Britain's drive on the "right side" of the road, it is everyone else that drives on the wrong side ;)

Bought this when it was a flash sale and it is pretty entertaining. Although I suspect the game uses some sort of shortcut system it took me literally 5 mins to get from Sheffield to Hull (I believe you can make the journey 100% authentic time wise in the options menu).

Not a bad game wouldn't pay full price for it but if you can pick it up heavily discounted (like right now on Steam) you can easily get a fair few hours entertainment out of it.

SmokyDave

This is the only game I want from the Steam sale. Currently trying to buy it but goddamn it, it won't let me. I shall persevere.

Xater

Has anyone played the first game? it is just 1,99 right now and it actually has a Mac version. ETS2 seems cool, but the hardware requirements do not look great for my iMac.

Torraz

Has anyone played the first game? it is just 1,99 right now and it actually has a Mac version. ETS2 seems cool, but the hardware requirements do not look great for my iMac.

Seconding this. How is the first game? 5.5 bucks cheaper...

No you can't, the maps are compressed, otherwise your average job would take 18 hours of real time.

Ah my mistake, just looked and the compression setting (which is the one I assumed altered how long the journey took) is actually for the graphics. Still I can imagine some people being quite happy to partake in an 18 hour real time journey.

Still a great game though easily waste a fair few hours in it. It is one of those games you don't think you should have but you become kinda glad it is in your library.

Septimius

I've owned this game since Christmas. I've played it rather much, probably a "4 hour" job a day. It's something like 20 minutes. Does anyone own more than one garage? I mean, I have three/four trucks and drivers, but I'm not a huge company yet!

With my G27 and TrackIR, this game is bonkers fun. Like, relaxing type of fun. You most definitely need a mod to stop the 90 km/h restriction. Just don't think you can turn going 130 km/h.

Xater

Heh I actually read the hardware requirements wrong. Runs totally fine in 1080p and high settings. But I just bought Farming Simulator...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For those who have been playing already, what are the must have mods?

Also, is there a way to disable the speed limiter? Cuz fuck that, I wanna go full force in my truck.

Top Bottom