• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EuroCosplay bans League of Legends Cosplayer for alleged "blackface"

Helios

Fans recreating characters from their favorite TV shows, games, and movies in the form of cosplaying has become increasingly popular, with events such as EuroCosplay hosting even tournaments for the best ones.
However, One of the EuroCosplay 2019 finalists was removed from the competition after allegations that the cosplayer was wearing ‘blackface’ while portraying 'Pyke' from League of Legends.
alice-livanart-pyke-lol-costume-eurocosplay-ban.jpg

Although the cosplayer was not specified in their statement, it later came to light that it was the competition’s French representative, Alice Livanart's impression of Pyke that was the cause of disqualification.

The cosplayer was apparently wearing a full-body skin suit to accurately represent the champion, however, it was deemed unacceptable by EuroCosplay, who apologized for any offense caused and disqualified Alice from the tournament.

Alice had previously won the French Cosplay cup and qualified for the EuroCosplay finals on September 22 with the detailed Pyke costume, which was estimated to cost the cosplayer over €3,000 to complete, according to RTL.

pyke-costume-ban-league-of-legends-cosplay-event.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Exhibit 193747292 why humanity has it too easy.

A society only has time to worry about non-issues like this, if they have no real problems, and the moral busybodies that have persisted throughout history need something to do.

I absolutely love the effort that went into her cosplay, and it wouldn’t cross my mind for a second to call it racist.

I don’t get it, how are you supposed to cosplay a dark or lite skinned character without using some sort of makeup to change color tone?
So stupid.
So the only people who can cosplay Pike are black people? What the actual fuck?

Apparently, she can only cosplay Pyke with her natural skin tone. Altering her skin in any way makes the cosplay offensive and her a racist.

On the bright side, the girl pretty much told the haters to go pound sand:

EGXlIdZX0AYGM0Q.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Apparently, she can only cosplay Pyke with her natural skin tone. Altering her skin in any way makes the cosplay offensive and her a racist.

On the bright side, the girl pretty much told them to go pound sand:

EGXlIdZX0AYGM0Q.jpg

That is incredibly refreshing.

I expected a mopey apology for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Start hitting back, and rejecting these stupid ideas, instead of falling in line with them, and things will begin to change.

llien

I'm still struggling to cope with the original problem statement that there once was a racist show and since they used skin paint in that way, it automatically means that kind of use is banned.

MiguelItUp

Good to know that her cosplay is getting the recognition it deserves. It looks ridiculously good IMO. I can't imagine seeing it in person knowing what the person cosplaying looks like, haha. That's pretty crazy!

Ivory Blood

Buh huh, let me apologise. Fucking holier than thou wankers. Hope she stands by her statement and goes there, even if just to show a middle finger to these fucks who are too full of themselves. Fuckin' clown world indeed.

That's laughable. That cosplay is awesome my partner couldn't even tell it was a woman when I showed it to her. Good on her for not caring what these idiots think.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not sure what you mean.
Anyway, here are some pictures of the body suit if it clears up anything

OH! It's a bodysuit. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hell nah this isn't black face. And as a person that hates when white folk do "real" blackface, I think this cosplayer has cracked the code on how white people can pull this off. At least with fake characters (not about real humans like Jay-Z or Lebron outfits).

everyone I’ve looked at who supports this use pronouns and love to cosplay as a gender they aren’t. Colour me surprised!

As long as that colour isn’t brown. #dontcancelme

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not offended, it is illogical for ANYBODY else to be offended by this.

Why can't people understand that "black face" is when a white person, for example, chooses to color their skin dark as a means to perpetuate an african american stereotype.

It's typically done to hyperbole as well.

THERE'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE between that and this cosplay! It's like people don't even try to understand.

Last edited:
I can see how traditional blackface can be seen as a mockery of another race, but shit like this isn't "blackface". It looks fucking great. If the answer is "wear the costume without changing your skin colour", then that's fucking dumb.

Gamora cosplayers would just end up looking like prostitutes.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I can see how traditional blackface can be seen as a mockery of another race, but shit like this isn't "blackface". It looks fucking great. If the answer is "wear the costume without changing your skin colour", then that's fucking dumb.

You had it the first time. This isn't blackface.

bitbydeath

I don’t. Dressing up as someone famous no matter there colour is a sign of respect IMO.

First of all, that looks fucking phenomenal in terms of realization. Legit thought it was a high-def CG render and kept asking "where's the cosplay" 'till I realized that WAS the cosplay!

Second, this isn't blackface. Not even fucking close. How do they even know Pyke is black? Or even human for that matter? I don't know LOL like that, unfamiliar with 99.9% of the roster so I'm not asking to be an edgelord retard. Beyond that, it isn't blackface. Blackface suggests minstrel, and that suggests malicious intent.

Not only is there zero malicious intent here, but it's NOTHING like actual minstrel blackface. This outrage sounds like it comes from a buggy A.I running on a Pentium MMX from 1993; this is beyond your instruction set, buddy.

And this is coming from a minority...I'm 99.9% willing to bet the article writer is some white soyboy SJW or white SJW 3rd-wave feminist. This is the only way they see minorities; as chess pieces to wage their culture war through, when they're more racist and bigoted than most right-leaning people on the face of the planet. Disgusting.

This is like the most amazing cosplay I have ever seen (are you even sure it's her?)

But we live in a world that you can get accused of black facing if you dub a black character in a cartoon or something.

Top Bottom