• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: AC art used for Uncharted 4 trailer (Up: Naughty Dog responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pryce

image.php

I go 2.5 years without one avatar quote and now I've have three in a week.
It's stealing.

Yeah I guess you're right.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I see this cross promotion Naughty Dog, you ain't slick.

Uncharted Vs.Assassin's Creed fighting game incoming.

Things like this shouldn't happen and should be pointed out when they do, but the reaction will probably be disproportionate to the error, because the internet.

Shame this oversight taking away from that glorious trailer. Thankfully the game is not released yet, and the portion of the trailer the artwork occupies is well under %10 -litigation would be stupid

ND just needs to apologize and move on.

(and remind person who used placeholder art to remove it-before trailer time going forward)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After Naughty Dog borrowed Ellen Page's appearance then mysteriously changed it after Beyond was announced? Shocking.

I actually do think it's a bit more understandable in the case of character designs. They seem like they start with a celebrity reference then mix in more and more of the actor playing them as time goes on. Still, they tend to start out pretty blatantly.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I thought of it as a cheeky easter egg, and they actually go to that location so... I don't see the big deal.

This dev war stuff is pretty fun though.

Armigr

There's a lot of things that could be going on here.

1) Naughty Dog could've licensed the artwork from Ubisoft. Not likely, bur certainly possible. Even Ubisoft's head of content wouldn't necessarily be made aware of that if it was the case.
2) A third-party asset creation team hired by Sony/ND could've snuck this into their commissioned art package hoping no one would notice.
3) Someone at Naughty Dog could've used the artwork as a placeholder and forgotten to replace it in time for the trailer.

There is a chance Naughty Dog is entirely at fault here, but it's also very likely that there is something else going on here. I don't think it's healthy to jump to conclusions about this.

neemmss

All a marketing ploy to get this to go "viral" and get more attention for Uncharted 4 (and Ubi along the way). I wouldn't be surprised if they were all in one this.

Vuze

Oh wow, that looks super ripped-off indeed.
Can't wait for the people defending them anyw-- oops, too late

Most likely this was outsourced and whoever provided the image didn't know it was from an Assassin's Creed game.

It wont be in the final release

Sp33Demon

Really disappointed that ND would have to resort to copying a tropical island location. Was such an original concept when AC did it. /sarcasm

Nephtes

... ... WTF.
I don't even.

I mean I know art theft is common but damn! You don't steal from people worse than you!

That's like a rule or something...

I imagine it's just Ubi and Sony trying to stir up some controversy.
Can't imagine ND being so inept that they'd steal a picture from google images and then focus on it during their trailer.
Seems pretty obvious to me.

RexNovis

Banned
Let's not forget the Nadine Ross / Kandyse McClure uncanny resemblance either.

6p8a9CP.jpg

WTF is going on? Fool me once...

This shit is starting to stink.
Goes way beyond "inspiration"

Weebos

Banned
Wow, embarrassing. How did it get to this point?

The pirate isn't even just cropped out, it looks like it has been edited out.

iMax

Surely it makes a difference that the art is literally in a picture frame in a character's apartment. It's not like they're plagiarising it in an environment.

I'm not familiar with the laws and whatnot, but do film/TV producers need to get licensing for pieces of art hung up on walls too?

Ramenman

I don't really care that this or that happened really.

I do give a crap about grown-ass men and representative of beloved companies and IPs tweeting it out in passive-agressive ways trying to 1-up each other in the face of their public, especially ex-colleagues.

It's embarassing.

Though all things considered I don't really care that much about either actually.

Nibel

I thought of it as a cheeky easter egg, and they actually go to that location so... I don't see the big deal.

This dev war stuff is pretty fun though.

Look: an easter egg is something that is hidden and that pays homage; it is actually meant for the game itself and not for a key scene in the game/trailer.

Also, if this was an easter egg, why did they edit the AC-stuff like the pirate out?

RexNovis

Banned
Let's not forget the Nadine Ross / Kandyse McClure uncanny resemblance either.

6p8a9CP.jpg

WTF is going on? Fool me once...

This shit is starting to stink.
Goes way beyond "inspiration"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom