• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Blizzcon Reacts to Overwatch Sexism Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see the point in your question.

if you agree that that no one should have to tolerate harassment then you also agree that it makes sense for Blizzard to take steps in protecting users from harassment

you obviously see the point in my question, it's just that you realized how foolish and obtuse you'd look if you disagreed

DIEyrFQ.gif

AmaiMask

Banned
Harassment, genius

There are already rules in place that state it's not OK to be toxic, and you can simply report the person and mute them. What more exactly are you saying needs to be done? I think you want a safespace where people behave the way you want or are immediately flushed from the system. That's never going to happen, even with the rules in place. You will most likely always encounter a rogue jerk, that's the same in real life as well. It's not even like most of us are saying the toxic behavior is ok, only that it's absurd to get so overly worked up over it when it's a very simple matter on the offended persons end to combat it.

How about people get the fuck over it? Thankfully most of the PC crowd has left this forum but I see there are still some stragglers.

My 14 year old daughter cops her fair share of shit talking when playing online but even at 14 she's mature enough to see it for what it is, online shit talking.

Sexism happens in the real world and no amount of virtue signalling online is going to stop it.

If people grew a thicker skin and stopped hiding from reality by white knighting and pretending to be holier than thou online, they might surprise themselves and actually find some success in life.

If people are trolling you you either dish it back twice as bad or fucking log off and go do something else if you cant take it

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't really care about Overwatch or community behavior but I am baffled at people here.

Do people seriously not understand the concept of seeking attention and getting thrill because they triggered someone? There's a reason people say mute, ignore and report. By immediately reacting, you are feeding them their thrill. You are giving them attention. Why is this concept hard to grasp? Is it because of the need to be morally superior? Because these people don't care.

Did people really forget the whole concept of trolling?

AmaiMask

Banned
How about people get the fuck over it? Thankfully most of the PC crowd has left this forum but I see there are still some stragglers.

My 14 year old daughter cops her fair share of shit talking when playing online but even at 14 she's mature enough to see it for what it is, online shit talking.

Sexism happens in the real world and no amount of virtue signalling online is going to stop it.

If people grew a thicker skin and stopped hiding from reality by white knighting and pretending to be holier than thou online, they might surprise themselves and actually find some success in life.

If people are trolling you you either dish it back twice as bad or fucking log off and go do something else if you cant take it

More than anything my major problem with people unable to cope with the reality of online gaming culture's occasional bad side is that they make such a huge fuss that game companies feel compelled to take action instead of focusing 100% on the game. All the effort Blizzard took into policing their game in order to cater to the easily offended could have instead been focused on balancing the game and pushing out more content. I stated this earlier, but I believe that outside of the established company rules, it's up to the players to moderate themselves and each other. The game company shouldn't have to babysit, players should be able to manage their own affairs with other players. The game company should only step in if it becomes a serious case of actual harassment where the person is stalking, making death threats, or exploiting a games bugs/system. Outside of that the game company shouldn't be responsible for creating a safespace.

im kind of deceased at people dismissing bigotry as "trolling"

who is "trolling" men for being men

who is "trolling" white people for being white

let me know in the comments below

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

You're missing the forest for the trees, and the whole point really. They are fishing for replies, for a trigger.

AmaiMask

Banned

Like I stated earlier, being a black gamer I experienced plenty of racial slurs during my young xbox live days playing Halo 2 and PSO. The jerks/trolls in fact use racial slurs, sexism, and homophobic slurs to generate a response out of the individual, or to vent off steam. However, I'd bet over half the persons using said language don't genuinely hate those groups and adopt the langue to be "edgy" and nothing more. There's quite a difference, imo, between actual hatred for minorities, women, and gays, and being a jerk over the internet. That's why I wasn't at all offended when PewDiePie said the N-Word, I understood fully where he was coming from.

I think the problem with people like you in general is that you confuse being mean/edgy with being an actual bigot.

More than anything my major problem with people unable to cope with the reality of online gaming culture's occasional bad side is that they make such a huge fuss that game companies feel compelled to take action instead of focusing 100% on the game. All the effort Blizzard took into policing their game in order to cater to the easily offended could have instead been focused on balancing the game and pushing out more content. I stated this earlier, but I believe that outside of the established company rules, it's up to the players to moderate themselves and each other. The game company shouldn't have to babysit, players should be able to manage their own affairs with other players. The game company should only step in if it becomes a serious case of actual harassment where the person is stalking, making death threats, or exploiting a games bugs/system. Outside of that the game company shouldn't be responsible for creating a safespace.

I agree 100%.

Companies need to stop giving in to the outrage culture.

nick_b

Since when has rape been anything other than forced contact? It's the definition. You did read the article you linked right? We asked men if they'd ever rape someone without using the word rape? If someone doesn't understand what rape is then they're an idiot. There's been an epidemic of them recently but it's been around a while. It seems to be symptomatic of the human species.

Edit: Wait. Have I been trolled? Is there egg on my face?

I think the problem with people like you in general is that you confuse being mean/edgy with being an actual bigot.

You're missing the forest for the trees, and the whole point really. They are fishing for replies, for a trigger.

So what? How is this at all relevant? Literally how do you twist your mind to believe that this is an important distinction? Calling a black person a .......... doesn't hurt them less because you did it to "troll" and not because you sincerely think so. Try using that logic in any other social space and see where it gets you.

like holy shit. you're all so consumed in this shitty, toxic games culture that you can't for a second see that things don't have to be this way.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Like I stated earlier, being a black gamer I experienced plenty of racial slurs during my young xbox live days playing Halo 2 and PSO. The jerks/trolls in fact use racial slurs, sexism, and homophobic slurs to generate a response out of the individual, or to vent off steam. However, I'd bet over half the persons using said language don't genuinely hate those groups and adopt the langue to be "edgy" and nothing more. There's quite a difference, imo, between actual hatred for minorities, women, and gays, and being a jerk over the internet. That's why I wasn't at all offended when PewDiePie said the N-Word, I understood fully where he was coming from.

If you're being edgy by being a trollish bigot you're basically a bigot. The "Its just a joke" thing doesn't really hold much weight at that point.

I agree 100%.

Companies need to stop giving in to the outrage culture.

Yeah what we need is companies listening to people even less than they already do.

Kalamari

Players should make an effort to mute idiots no matter who they are. Developers need to make muting as simple as possible.

AmaiMask

Banned
So what? How is this at all relevant? Literally how do you twist your mind to believe that this is an important distinction? Calling a black person a nigger doesn't hurt them less because you did it to "troll" and not because you sincerely think so. Try using that logic in any other social space and see where it gets you.

like holy shit. you're all so consumed in this shitty, toxic games culture that you can't for a second see that things don't have to be this way.

How are you going to tell me, a black person, what does or doesn't hurt me? I just told you outright that I'm perfectly able to manage playing online games despite the occasional racial slur. I don't believe the majority of players who use racial slurs are actually racist, just jerks/trolls looking for a reaction. And the entire point is that the people using those slurs on the internet wouldn't use them on other social places because they know how to act in society and aren't actually racist but just trolls/jerks on the internet.

The fact you even feel there's a need to change the culture at all when it's really not a problem if you simply properly handle it yourself is an issue imo. I sincerely wish game companies would listen less to people like you and realize that people are able to take care of themselves.

Since when has rape been anything other than forced contact? It's the definition. You did read the article you linked right? We asked men if they'd ever rape someone without using the word rape? If someone doesn't understand what rape is then they're an idiot. There's been an epidemic of them recently but it's been around a while. It seems to be symptomatic of the human species.

you told me that rapists know what they are doing is rape

the link i posted shows that that more men will admit to raping if you ask the question without mentioning "rape"

it's not a matter of them not understanding or being "an idiot". it's a rationalization of their actions. "I'm not a rapist, I just had sex with an unconscious girl" "i'm not a rapist, she was asking for it wearing a skirt that low" etc.

which goes back to my point about how men are socialized. those ideas don't come out of nowhere. they are present in society and men absorb them. It's just not enough to say "rape is bad don't do it".

nick_b

So what? How is this at all relevant? Literally how do you twist your mind to believe that this is an important distinction? Calling a black person a nigger doesn't hurt them less because you did it to "troll" and not because you sincerely think so. Try using that logic in any other social space and see where it gets you.

You do realize that despite being scum a white supremacist has every right to be a white supremacist, right? You have the right to be offended. You don't have the right to police what others think and say. Not unless you'd like the world to get a hell of a lot worse.

Also we don't just say rape is bad don't do it. It's illegal.

AmaiMask

Banned
If you're being edgy by being a trollish bigot you're basically a bigot. The "Its just a joke" thing doesn't really hold much weight at that point.

Yeah what we need is companies listening to people even less than they already do.

I completely disagree. If you'd call a person a slur on the internet but not IRL then you're most likely not a bigot but an opportunist jerk/troll seeking the attention. If you'd actually call a person a slur IRL then yes, you're a bigot. I think people like you really need to stop confusing being rude/edgy online with being an actual bigot. Furthermore the person calling me the N-Word over the computer is easy to ignore, compared to that same person coming up to my face IRL and calling me out of my name. There's a very clear difference and I think it's important to not conflate the two.

There's no reason to get so worked up over the trolls/jerks, literally just report and ignore them. Don't freak out to the game companies, let them focus 100% on the game.

How are you going to tell me, a black person, what does or doesn't hurt me? I just told you outright that I'm perfectly able to manage playing online games despite the occasional racial slur. I don't believe the majority of players who use racial slurs are actually racist, just jerks/trolls looking for a reaction. And the entire point is that the people using those slurs on the internet wouldn't use them on other social places because they know how to act in society and aren't actually racist but just trolls/jerks on the internet.

The fact you even feel there's a need to change the culture at all when it's really not a problem if you simply properly handle it yourself is an issue imo. I sincerely wish game companies would listen less to people like you and realize that people are able to take care of themselves.

you literally did not answer my question

to someone who is on the receiving end of racial/homophobic/misogynist language what difference does it make that the person using the language doesn't really mean it? How can you even determine that?

let me tell you a secret: "not actually racist" people don't call black people ....... under any circumstances

AmaiMask

Banned
you literally did not answer my question

to someone who is on the receiving end of racial/homophobic/misogynist language what difference does it make that the person using the language doesn't really mean it? How can you even determine that?

let me tell you a secret: "not actually racist" people don't call black people niggers under any circumstances

According to who though? Why can't a person call me the N-word online to be edgy/troll and not actually be a racist who looks down on blacks? Why do I have to freak out over what somebody says online and treat that the same as said person harassing me IRL? Why does a game company have to protect me when the rules are already in place and I can mute/report the person? Why do I need a safespace to enjoy a game when I can easily ignore the problematic people or just find another space entirely? Why should the game coddle to my delicate needs because I refuse to adapt?

Why don't you answer those questions first?

According to who though? Why can't a person call me the N-word online to be edgy/troll and not actually be a racist who looks down on blacks? Why do I have to freak out over what somebody says online and treat that the same as said person harassing me IRL? Why does a game company have to protect me when the rules are already in place and I can mute/report the person? Why do I need a safespace to enjoy a game when I can easily ignore the problematic people or just find another space entirely? Why should the game coddle to my delicate needs because I refuse to adapt?

if you respect black people, you won't call them ........, even just to get a rise out of them

this is very simple please stop trying to make it complicated

not being harassed isn't a "delicate" need. this is not how the world works in any other social space. please realize how abnormal what you are defending is

Going by Rasta's 'mentality' I'm a bigoted racist because I'm a privileged white person who has in the past joked with my Asian wife, poking fun at stereotypes of her culture and race, all in good fun mind you.. the horror!

AmaiMask

Banned
if you respect black people, you won't call them niggers, even just to get a rise out of them

this is very simple please stop trying to make it complicated

not being harassed isn't a "delicate" need. this is not how the world works in any other social space. please realize how abnormal what you are defending is

Again, according to who? According to you, sure. But there are millions of people in the world and I'm sure more than a few who'd call me the N-Word online would never do it IRL and don't view blacks as lesser beings. I don't agree with freaking out over online trollish behavior and treating it as some kind of serious offense or hate crime.

I think that creates a toxic environment for the game company that forces them to police the game to protect to overly offended instead of focusing 100% of their attention on delivering quality content. If more people would just learn to adapt to the environment and utilize mute/report there wouldn't be an issue in the first place as said trolls wouldn't be so problematic to begin with because they'd get bored and leave, knowing they'd get completely ignored.

What I'm defending is game companies from oversensitive people like you who come into a scene and demand drastic changes instead of properly applying yourself and adapting. There are rules in place, and you can mute/report. That's more than enough. Let game companies focus their complete attention to making quality goods.

Edit: Just saw that mod, I'll drop it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom