• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: BotW running on CEMU showing remarkable progress (READ MOD POST)

Even using CEMU, the pre-existing fan-made Wii U to PC emulator, those involved estimated Zelda would take months of work, such was the size of the game and the complexities of its systems.

Fast forward two weeks later, and there has been remarkable progress.

Where previously the group could only show off the game's opening cave, a new gameplay video shows the game running almost as well as it does on Nintendo's own hardware.

The framerate still isn't quite up to scratch (a complaint you could also level at the main game), but the number of things now working after so short a time is genuinely stunning.

Combat works fine, exploration and the world's physics systems appear to function correctly, you can enter and solve Shrine puzzle dungeons, you can use the game's rune powers correctly... the list goes on.

A fortnight ago CEMU was supported by 1857 people, who collectively donated $7782 per month (around £6300). It's now supported by 5135 people, who donate nearly $22k a month (more than £17k).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-22-fan-made-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-pc-port-shows-remarkable-progress

shandy706

Yes, ok guys. I'm not having luck finding CPU performance comparisons or charts for CEMU.

Any input would be great.

I have an i5 2500k system, I have an i7 920 system, and I am about to build a system in the near future. I'm sure there aren't any Ryzen comparisons...but I also was told in the last thread that single thread performance is very important in a situation where you have a high end GPU anyway.

Any input on CPU comparisons with the emulator?

Aeana

In addition to the above warning, I want to add this quote from the last page, because I think it's important.

The issue I see is that I think some people are simply incapable of understanding nuance. This forum does not condone piracy. If you admit to piracy and we notice it, you will be banned. We are not interested in links to material that can facilitate piracy. But we stop short of thinking that it's our job to enforce IP laws and shake down anyone that we suspect might be pirating something.

The question I would ask is "do you think it's possible that someone might legally own the software and hardware in question and still be interested in an emulated version just due to the possibilities that emulation allows?" This is a rhetorical question as the answer is obviously "yes." This is a legitimately interesting topic of conversation. Plenty of real, honest, paying consumers are also interested in Breath of the Wild (and Wii U games in general) being emulated. Do they outnumber the pirates? Perhaps not. But that's not our concern.

Consider this your answer to anything you're thinking about posting with regards to piracy, and then don't post it.

Disxo

So, Botw is the priority for Cemu now.
But, what about other games like Xenoblade Chronicles X? I always wanted to see that in 4k.

Gestault

I didn't catch it in the article. Performance aside (I saw they added solutions for the motion sections in temples), is the game now fully playable as far as we know? In the sense that all content can be played in a normal session.

Sini

Yes, ok guys. I'm not having luck finding CPU performance comparisons or charts for CEMU.

I have an i5 2500k system, I have an i7 920 system, and I am about to build a system in the near future. I'm sure there aren't any Ryzen comparisons...but I also was told in the last thread that single thread performance is very important in a situation where you have a high end GPU anyway.

There is general Cemu thread for such questions:

Wouldn't that be quite hard to find since the emulator is a Work in progress.
And the ressources needed for each game would be different too.

Or would you want recommanded config for specific games ?

Seik

Banned
April 2nd can't come soon enough.

I'll try to finish my game on Wii U in the meantime, on my way to the fourth beast. :)

Prurient

Banned
I didn't catch it in the article. Performance aside (I saw they added solutions for the motion sections in temples), is the game now fully playable as far as we know? In the sense that all content can be played in a normal session.

I think that the cutscenes are still not working, but I'm not sure of the specifics.

Dunkley

I am really impressed with their rapid progress, I should get around ripping my physical copy of BotW to have it ready once emulation for this is relatively solid.

In the meanwhile I guess when I got DDD set up I can bother with XenoX in the meanwhile.

Acinixys

I saw a poster in the last thread ask if the game can be played with a FPS above 30

From what ive read on /v/ some people with beastly machines have gotten it running at 60 locked at 4K

So perhaps in a few months when all the glitches and bugs are ironed out the answer will be yes

Sini

I saw a poster in the last thread ask if the game can be played with a FPS above 30

From what ive read on /v/ some people with beastly machines have gotten it running at 60 locked at 4K

So perhaps in a few months when all the glitches and bugs are ironed out the answer will be yes
That's the main menu that runs at 60 fps... Otherwise the game that you actually play is capped at 30.

Can't believe how much coin they're getting. I think there's a large percentage of gamers who want to play LOZ BOTW with a really good framerate and resolution. Hopefully the support will accelerate the development of the emulator.

Chris R

If I were gonna upgrade soon, would a i7 6700k be good enough for CEMU or should I spring for the 7700k?

I'm running games on a 3770k at 1440p.

Granted, I've only really played Captain Toad, but that works terrific after it does the shader cache loading for each level.

Using an i5 6600k here just fine, its not about how many cores but the speed of them; its using around 3 cores only.

Hmmm, that makes me wonder how my i5 4670k would fare. I have it overclocked to 4.1 right now, but I don't have anything I could test CEMU with.

NeOak

This is great.

I wonder if I'll be able to play XCX and BOTW with a 6700HQ and a GTX 1070.

I put the XCX disc in my Wii U when it came out. I haven't even turned on the Wii U since then. BOTW Wii U is sealed because I'm playing it on my Switch

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yep. Very much looking forward to playing this again at 1080p with a good amount of AA at a solid frame rate. The WiiU version is great but this will be amazing on PC.

Can't believe how much coin they're getting. I think there's a large percentage of gamers who want to play LOZ BOTW with a really good framerate and resolution. Hopefully the support will accelerate the development of the emulator.

That's where I'm at. I haven't bought the game yet because I don't want to contend with the Wii U's performance issues and I can't find a Switch available anywhere. Which version I purchase first depends on how fast CEMU moves vs how fast Nintendo ships more Switch units. I can deal with a few dips in Portable mode, but the levels reported for the Wii U version don't work for me.

I really hope this is ready sooner rather than later. It'd be great if we see some great CPU deals simultaneously so I can upgrade my rig on the cheap.

Lizardus

If I don't have the means to rip the game from your copy (no disc drive), can I just download the rom or does it have to be specifically MY copy for it to be legal?

shandy706

There is general Cemu thread for such questions:

Thanks

Wouldn't that be quite hard to find since the emulator is a Work in progress.
And the ressources needed for each game would be different too.

Or would you want recommanded config for specific games ?

Just thought there might be some kind of comparison with different CPUs.

my i5 3570k runs it fine

my CPU is old but it runs fine.

(thumbs up)

_Aaron_

It's impressive how much progress they've made in such a short time.

Are there any games that run flawlessly from start to finish yet on CEMU?

CHC

The latest video was pretty amazing considering where we were with things like ~3 weeks ago. I'm really feeling good about this.

So we have a timeframe on a functioning Switch emulator? It'd be great to kick Super Mario Odyssey up to 4k.

I'm not so sure this is happening. All I can find on this is articles about scams and the scams themselves.

I'm sure it eventually will happen but any promise of a timeline is doubtful.

A few. I'm sure there are more than this example, but Mario Maker. It lacks online obviously so the appeal is limited, but I can play it perfectly on my surface pro 4.

I haven't tried playing it through, but Mario Kart 8 works without issue in multiplayer on my 6700 and 1070. Just no DLC.

That's where I'm at. I haven't bought the game yet because I don't want to contend with the Wii U's performance issues and I can't find a Switch available anywhere. Which version I purchase first depends on how fast CEMU moves vs how fast Nintendo ships more Switch units. I can deal with a few dips in Portable mode, but the levels reported for the Wii U version don't work for me.

I really hope this is ready sooner rather than later. It'd be great if we see some great CPU deals simultaneously so I can upgrade my rig on the cheap.

I'm actually more hyped by CEMu graphical mods.

CEMU potential for modding is my main interest . Imagine the possibilities !!
I'll wait as long as it takes for the CEMU mods to grow up to the point where this game will be a graphical masterpiece.

aravuus

I just want to clarify up front that this thread should not in anyway, shape, or form digress into a topic about piracy. If you are interested in reading that type of conversation, I invite you to read the riveting argumentation presented in the old, now-locked thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354474

Hah, I'm glad I only just now noticed this thread, and not when it was first posted. Not sure if I want to read through the old thread. Maybe this, or something similar, should be the first post in every emulation related thread.

Quite excited to return to the game with the performance it deserves later on when I feel like I've waited long enough. I'm very glad I didn't buy a Switch for it right now, though I kinda feel like maybe I should've waited and just played the thing from beginning on the emulator.

Oh well.

If I don't have the means to rip the game from your copy (no disc drive), can I just download the rom or does it have to be specifically MY copy for it to be legal?

Downloading copywritten material is illegal

OT: This is really neat. I haven't been into the emulation scene for some time, but I've heard some rumblings about CEMU. It's crazy what some talented people can do when they get together.

I should probably check out this and Bayonetta 2. Maybe Xenoblade?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

I think you actually need a wii u system to rip it, not a pc drive.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I just want to clarify up front that this thread should not in anyway, shape, or form digress into a topic about piracy
2S5GHNO.gif

Seriously it's insane the amount of progress they've made in a few weeks compared to the estimated date of a four months.

CHC

From what I have heard, Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D Land are reported to be pretty much flawless.

Most games are.... frustratingly close to perfection. Wind Waker, for example, is absolutely perfect except for some crackling / clipped audio and the Picto Box photos all showing up as black. Bayonetta is apparently the same deal - runs great but with some bad audio issues.

As it right now I'm not in a hurry to build up a library on CEMU or spend all my time playing games on it, but I'm so so so glad it exists and is coming along so quickly.

The only game I've had time to personally load up and test is Wind Waker and like I said, it's good, but the audio crackling is stopping me from playing in earnest.

With CEMU I can rip my Wii U games and emulate them? I own the hardware and the games, but would be nice to see them on my PC.
What games are known to work alright?

shandy706

From what I have heard, Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D Land are reported to be pretty much flawless.

Most games are.... frustratingly close to perfection. Wind Waker, for example, is absolutely perfect except for some crackling / clipped audio and the Picto Box photos all showing up as black. Bayonetta is apparently the same deal - runs great but with some bad audio issues.

As it right now I'm not in a hurry to build up a library on CEMU or spend all my time playing games on it, but I'm so so so glad it exists and is coming along so quickly.

The only game I've had time to personally load up and test is Wind Waker and like I said, it's good, but the audio crackling is stopping me from playing in earnest.

Really? That's enough for me to look at trying to run CEMU sooner rather than later for BotW. My girls are going to have to let me interrupt their Wii U time this week, haha.

Top Bottom