• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: BotW running on CEMU showing remarkable progress (READ MOD POST)

Durante

With CEMU I can rip my Wii U games and emulate them? I own the hardware and the games, but would be nice to see them on my PC.
What games are known to work alright?
To rip the games you need some separate software on your WiiU, but it's easy to set up using a browser exploit. (As in, you just need to navigate to a specific page in the WiiU browser)

Is this a general purpose Wii U emulator that works well on all games or are they doing game specific hacks so that only a handful of them work well?

Aeana

Is this a general purpose Wii U emulator that works well on all games or are they doing game specific hacks so that only a handful of them work well?
The latter, which is concerning. That plus its closed source nature portends a situation similar to N64 emulation down the line.

Baleoce

The latter, which is concerning. That plus its closed source nature portends a situation similar to N64 emulation down the line.

That's what bothers me most about the project. The progress is great, especially in the time frame. And BotW is already looking fantastic from what they've shown. But potentially (and as we've seen with other systems, like the N64 and the Saturn) it's closed-source nature might not have good implications for the systems long term preservation. Especially considering this is one of the first successful emulators for it.

MUnited83

For you.
Eh, the vast majority of worthwhile exclusives are running beautifully, and I'd argue those are the ones that matter the most. There isn't as much value on investing your time to get games that already have a superior PC version to run well on CEMU, for example. And even then, even worthless shovelware can run pretty well already with just the general improvements they make ( https://youtu.be/l9xdYIEQpYg )
They've also said they might consider making it open source in the future so there isn't much to be worried about. Decaf also already exists so that can still continue to be developed.

Kilau

Gold Member
It will be amazing if they can get this running full speed and all features at even 1080p soon.

I'd happily transfer my save off Wii U for a smoother experience.

tuxfool

Banned
Honestly given the WiiU specific game output, using game specific hacks doesn't particularly offend my sense of engineering.

Dario ff

Banned
Like I said in the last thread, I don't believe this being the case just yet because of its closed source nature. The game-specific configuration amounts to like 3 variables (the 4th being literally "disable audio") from what people can actually see without access to the source code. Dolphin had far more user-configurable hacks at first in comparison that had custom overrides for each title than this does so far. Now whether the hacks are on the emulator code itself is another story, but not one we actually know so far without some more indepth reverse engineering / tests. If this is not the case I'd love to read some detailed posts providing an argument to believe otherwise.

Personally I'm more in support of the theory that it's just very lenient when it comes to emulation accuracy (and the Zelda bugs were a result of that) and that the wide amount of documentation that has leaked for the devkits has been of big help.

Tagyhag

Yep, at that point we're at the mercy of the Cemu team, but I'll remain hopeful.

Silver lining of course is that the progress for specific games is mindblowingly fast.

yznuvrlckmky.png

Durante

It will be amazing if they can get this running full speed and all features at even 1080p soon.
Regarding the bolded, resolution isn't really a speed issue at all with this on a high-end GPU. As in, the moment the get it running full speed at 720p it will also run at full speed at 4k (on a sufficiently fast GPU).

New002

When I play BotW on my Wii U one thought that always crosses my mind is "this game deserves more powerful hardware," and I'm including the Switch in that. Interested in seeing how this develops.

Would be amazing if it runs flawless this summer.
Does it support DS4 and how does it handle input buttons? Will have a switch pro soon though but it won't be my preferred controller.

From what I understand, they would consider making it open source if, for whatever reason, they decide to stop working on it.

Brannon

It really is amazing.

Remember way back in the day when a bunch of people said that this game would take several months to even be presentable?

And then the CEMU team was like...

MInr0nu.png

Taking all their knowledge and prowess and laser-focusing on one game to get it done... wish they did the same with Ninja Gaiden Black.

I mean sure it's not the same game or the same system or the same architecture or the same anything in anyway but come ON.

Still amazing.

Yep, at that point we're at the mercy of the Cemu team, but I'll remain hopeful.

Silver lining of course is that the progress for specific games is mindblowingly fast.

Isn't the upper screenshot also Cemu? (the + directional pad's image is slanted)

Edit: nevermind, "Switch" meant using the Switch's resolution size on Cemu. Didn't look at the image with full zoom, second image is so crisp.

Oozer3993

The progress they've made is amazing. I'm really impressed. I'm concerned about it being closed source, though. I hope the developers have plans to open source the code at some point.

I just wish emulation for the original Xbox would get this much attention. Jet Set Radio Future must be preserved. And the God rays in Halo.

Kudo

Think that's a fake, both are taken with Cemu if you look at the D-pad. Game looks much more sharper on my monitor through Switch, but could be because of scaling done, so I guess the image gives some kind of comparison.
What interests me is that 900p vs. 4K Cemu or 1080p? I wouldn't believe 900p to 1080p is that big of a jump in clarity.

Durante

Think that's a fake, both are taken with Cemu if you look at the D-pad. Game looks much more sharper on my monitor through Switch, but could be because of scaling done, so I guess the image gives some kind of comparison.
What interests me is that 900p vs. 4K Cemu or 1080p? I wouldn't believe 900p to 1080p is that big of a jump in clarity.
It's certainly downsampled. (It's not like you need a monster GPU to downsample Wii U games though)

Wollan

Eurogamer article almost seems like its trying to rig a conflict. "We have sent an inquiry to Nintendo about this unofficial PC port".

UrbanRats

Playing this on Wiiu, framerate and IQ are absolutely atrocious, and a disgrace for what is really a brilliant game.
So glad the progress is so fast.

Ultimately, WiiU was a horrible piece of HW, and id be happy to be able to finally put it in the closet forever, it only had a handful of (really) excellent games anyway, and all emulated decently already.
Hoping for an audio fix on Bayonetta, tho.

Tagyhag

I believe that it's just using the Switch resolution? Probably down sampling 4K on the bottom picture.

What's curious to me is that the mini map is bugged on the bottom but not at the top.

SpokkX

Shit

I have not started Zelda on Switch yet. Really hoping for a patch to clean up the performance issues, this is however far from sure to happen

Perhaps the best way to play Zelda @1080p 30fps will be throuh CEMU? Crazy!

Although this exact thing happened in 1998 just after Zelda Ocarina was released. Remember playing it at better framerate and 640x480 resolution in UltraHle on my 3dfx card just after completing the n64 version

FiraB

Banned
Eurogamer article almost seems like its trying to rig a conflict. "We have sent an inquiry to Nintendo about this unofficial PC port".
Thats the same thing I thought, how long til nintendo hammers cemu team with a cease and desist. Hell it would probably go beyond that because they are making lots of money from this project.

jediyoshi

The former, BotW is an obvious exception because.

SD8dISm.png

They've explicitly called out whenever they had to hack around issues, which to this point has been twice (SMM, NSMBU, and those have since been resolved).

Anything else is pure speculation.

Dunkley

It does seem downsampled, but with what you note about D-Pad I am now curious in legit comparisons between Breath Of The Wild on the Switch vs. CEMU at 1080p. Does the Switch's screenshot retain the upscaling? It'd be interesting to see what method for upscaling the output they employ on the Switch.

Seik

Banned
Thats the same thing I thought, how long til nintendo hammers cemu team with a cease and desist. Hell it would probably go beyond that because they are making lots of money from this project.

They cannot, CEMU is an emulator so as long as it doesn't use any of the codes used in the Wii U, it's in the clear.

If they could, Higan, Project 64, Dolphin and the likes would be gone since a long time.

KScorp

That comparison image, is the top image just CEMU using "switch" resolution? Why is the UI glitching out in both images?

Edit: I see that the switch map is much clearer than the CEMU map, so I guess it must come from the switch. But I'm still curious about the bugged dpad icon.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I wish the emulators for consoles from the Saturn forward were easier to get going. It would be great to never need to run any of these older consoles again and simply do it all through my PC.

I have both my Wii and WiiU set up at the same time and with the Switch coming by the end of this year, the number of consoles I have set up at the same time is getting a bit ridiculous.

bigmac996

Easier to see the differences (even if GIMP does some processing to it or whatever)

I actually prefer the environment colours in the switch version without the warm haze over everything. That's about it though, the difference is pretty astonishing.

Not sure how I feel about this. Nintendo's always hated emulators but the most popular emulation was always older consoles 10-20 years out of date and that something Nintendo could easily compete against with stuff like virtual console. But CEMU, whether the developers meant it intentionally or not, is essentially competing with the new hardware by having it's killer app playable almost instantly on a piece of free software. They can't compete with that. I don't know I know this should be fine as long as you own the game but the whole situation just feels icky.

theultimo

Reading the patreon update, it looks like the flickering is being fixed in 1.7.4 as well.

And dont expect an fps boost yet for BOTW was also emphasized.

Currently playing on the Wii U, but at this rate I might actually pause and import my save for 1.7.4 - out of curiosity, can I dump the digital version of the game? Dumping instructions made it seem possible, but I wasn't clear of BotW was also doable.

Top Bottom