• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: BotW running on CEMU showing remarkable progress (READ MOD POST)

Both are from CEMU and the Switch pick is BS. That's not even WiiU quality.

It's badly upscaled CEMU 720p pretending to be something it isn't.

Is it though? I've seen shots of BoTW on both version and the jaggies are sharp enough to cut my eyes and not even bother caring lol.

MUnited83

For you.
So, never right?

Adding VR is not only about a technical challenge, this game is not an FPS. Lucky's Tale on the Rift is what comes to mind, and the game had to be designed from the ground up to properly support VR.
You can add VR to third person games too. The emulator is very far from being in a state where that will be done just yet, but Dolphin and PPSSPP already support it. I've had the opportunity to test some games and some are pretty good fits on VR. Obviously not as great as experiences made from the ground up for VR, but still a pretty cool new way of experiencing classic games.

Jashobeam

nice to have this emulator when my Wii U eventually dies, would be really sad if I couldn't play Super Mario 3D World 20 years from now.

Peterthumpa

You can add VR to third person games too. The emulator is very far from being in a state where that will be done just yet, but Dolphin and PPSSPP already support it. I've had the opportunity to test some games and some are pretty good fits on VR. Obviously not as great as experiences made from the ground up for VR, but still a pretty cool new way of experiencing classic games.
I know, that's why I said "properly support". Doesn't mean it'll be an enjoyable experience.

vergleich1tluej.jpg

Just noticed Link wears capri pants.

If I decided to take the plunge and try this out, is there a way to transfer my save? I've already put around 60 hours into the game, and I'm not going to start over.

You guys must have small TVs and/or post-processing smearing the image. I play the Switch version on a 65" calibrated C6 OLED. The game looks real bad from a technical standpoint. Saying it looks like the bottom image is hilarious. The aliasing is out of control.

MTC100

Banned
You guys must have small TVs and/or post-processing smearing the image. I play the Switch version on a 65" calibrated C6 OLED. The game looks real bad from a technical standpoint. Saying it looks like the bottom image is hilarious. The aliasing is out of control.

View Distance is the key there. With such a large TV and only a 720p(downscaled from 900p) source you'll be best off being about 4 meters away. -which is ridiculous of course, 720p shouldn't still exist in this day and age -.-

tuxfool

Banned

If post processing is smearing the image it won't look like a downsampled 4k image either. One can look at direct feed captures from a switch and see that it is *objectively* worse.

View Distance is the key there. With such a large TV and only a 720p(downscaled from 900p) source you'll be best off being about 4 meters away. -which is ridiculous of course, 720p shouldn't still exist in this day and age -.-

I sit 10 feet away which is already too far for content that doesn't look terrible.

If post processing is smearing the image it won't look like a downsampled 4k image either. One can look at direct feed captures from a switch and see that it is *objectively* worse.

You underestimate NeoGAF's more... fanatical console owners.

Toparaman

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this. Nintendo's always hated emulators but the most popular emulation was always older consoles 10-20 years out of date and that something Nintendo could easily compete against with stuff like virtual console.

This thread isn't supposed to be about any kind of ethical debate, as per the mod's post, but your statement is not true and I feel it should be noted as such. Game Boy emulators worked near-flawlessly by the time Pokemon was out. (In fact I had several friends who shared floppy disks with NO$GMB and the Pokemon rom, and we all know how the Pokemon franchise died as a result of their actions.) GBA emulators were excellent as early as 2002. N64 emulators were very good by 1999. Skyward Sword was almost perfectly playable in HD shortly after release.

Nekofrog

Banned
There's no way to rip and load a save file from a Wii u with a digital purchase of the game, is there? If there is, I'd totally be willing to buy the game a second time as physical to rip and play on on my computer when this has all come together, but if not I'd likely just finish it on my Wii u and never play it again.

There's no way to rip and load a save file from a Wii u with a digital purchase of the game, is there? If there is, I'd totally be willing to buy the game a second time as physical to rip and play on on my computer when this has all come together, but if not I'd likely just finish it on my Wii u and never play it again.

There is, it was discussed in this thread in fact

MUnited83

For you.
Not sure how I feel about this. Nintendo's always hated emulators but the most popular emulation was always older consoles 10-20 years out of date and that something Nintendo could easily compete against with stuff like virtual console. But CEMU, whether the developers meant it intentionally or not, is essentially competing with the new hardware by having it's killer app playable almost instantly on a piece of free software. They can't compete with that. I don't know I know this should be fine as long as you own the game but the whole situation just feels icky.
I don't think you have followed emulation history all that well. GBA had a emulator before it even released. Dolphin was playing Wii games in a playable state in the middle of the console's life. Both of those situations are more "severe" than having a emulator released at the end of a console's life that happens to be able to play one cross-gen game.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/The_Hitcher89/saved/

Is that good enough for CEMU? Never done any emulation before on any device.

I just built my second ever last year, so take that for what it's worth, but I'm guessing you wanna jump up on the processor a bit. Generally speaking, emulation is a lot more CPU taxing than it is GPU taxing. Guessing that GPU is probably fine for 1080p.

Again I'll yield to others more knowledgeable in this thread

People about to drop $1k to play Zelda on emu lol.. Just buy the switch

Yeah, heaven forbid people have different financial situations or perceptions of value than your own, right?

MUnited83

For you.
People about to drop $1k to play Zelda on emu lol.. Just buy the switch
It's not like the PC would be able to play just Wii U games... It would basically be able to play almost every game from the majority of consoles ever released. Not even counting the massive native PC library. 1k for all that seems a much better value proposition than 330 for a Switch. Even a GPD Win is cheaper has a better value proposition for me.

RK9039

Damn so fast, I literally just beat a
Divine Beast
earlier. I think I will abandon the Wii U version soon then.

If I decided to take the plunge and try this out, is there a way to transfer my save? I've already put around 60 hours into the game, and I'm not going to start over.

I am wondering this as well. I'm having an amazing time playing on the Wii U, and I don't really care that much about the technical issues the game has on that console, but If I could relatively quickly be playing this on my gaming PC, that is something I would love to do.

MTC100

Banned

edit: this PC is already built, I'm not building one for CEMU

You'd want a stronger CPU I suppose, high clock speeds are pretty important for emulation as the CPU does most of the work and yours isn't the newest one. You may want to overclock it, if at all possible to the range of ~3.8-4.0GHz. Your GPU is pretty weak but might be enough I guess.

Mega

Banned
I have a good capture card at home. I'm going to take a crack at this later because the native hardware captures in this thread look weird to me.

petran79

Banned

edit: this PC is already built, I'm not building one for CEMU

CEMU will surely add more gfx options in the future, so a better GPU will be better in the long run.

A 670 will be fine, though if you play on Dolphin you will not be able to play Wii games on max settings. Neither on PCSX2, though this emulator has heavier requirements, depending on the game.

For other emulators and PC gaming this rig is fine.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Both are from CEMU and the Switch pick is BS. That's not even WiiU quality.

It's badly upscaled CEMU 720p pretending to be something it isn't.

Yeah it looks much better than that in docked mode on Switch.

Looking forward to you guys doing some amazing 4K screenshots in the PC thread!

janoDX

And... I play videogames on a 32" screen and it still looks good and the screen is less than 2 meters away from me.

Top Bottom