• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: BotW running on CEMU showing remarkable progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even using CEMU, the pre-existing fan-made Wii U to PC emulator, those involved estimated Zelda would take months of work, such was the size of the game and the complexities of its systems.

Fast forward two weeks later, and there has been remarkable progress.

Where previously the group could only show off the game's opening cave, a new gameplay video shows the game running almost as well as it does on Nintendo's own hardware.

The framerate still isn't quite up to scratch (a complaint you could also level at the main game), but the number of things now working after so short a time is genuinely stunning.

Combat works fine, exploration and the world's physics systems appear to function correctly, you can enter and solve Shrine puzzle dungeons, you can use the game's rune powers correctly... the list goes on.

A fortnight ago CEMU was supported by 1857 people, who collectively donated $7782 per month (around £6300). It's now supported by 5135 people, who donate nearly $22k a month (more than £17k).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-22-fan-made-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-pc-port-shows-remarkable-progress

Durante

Calling a game running in an emulator a "fan-made PC port" is seriously confusing.
The latter, to me, implies an effort to create a native version of a specific game for the platform.

Anyway, that aside, the progress is remarkable.

Mivey

Calling a game running in an emulator a "fan-made PC port" is seriously confusing.
The latter, to me, implies an effort to create a native version of a specific game for the platform.

At least they didn't call it streaming. I don't expect journalists to know stuff about tech. I'm happy if they are simply competent at basics of journalism.

Never imagined they'd make so much progress so quickly. Hope it comes out soon, the constant slow downs on my Wii u version is seriously getting to me

This PC build is being worked upon by the team behind CEMU

The whole article is confusing.

yatesl

I'll be interested to see if this improves any frame rate issues. I've just completed it on the Wii U, but if in a couple of months time this is up to standard and has the improved support that other games have (I think some games run at 4k on this?), then I'll try it on the emulator instead.

Although having an emulator of a still "current" (jokes about Wii U power aside) is still iffy in my mind.

And yes, the wording and terminology is very strange throughout the article, especially coming from somewhere like Eurogamer.

So are they talking about it running in CEMU in general, a specific "wrapper" or is someone actually reverse-engineering it to run natively on PCs?

This headline :confounded:

Jeffrey

Guess it depends on the scope but still confusing. Is this a specific fork of the emulator focusing purely on zelda?

Alva

This is impressive.

But I have mixed feeling about pushing emulation to run just released games. Getting too much attention on a really grey area such as emulation could end up really badly.

Bendo

I'm a big fan of emulation, but a closed-source project raking in 22k/month on the back of a brand new game really rubs me the wrong game.

Well using the term Fan Project would definitely be the best way to get into Nintendo's radar if they haven't already.

Good for them. Looks like they doing really awesome stuff

Although having an emulator of a still "current" (jokes about Wii U power aside) is still iffy in my mind.

There's literally nothing illegal or immoral about emulating any hardware that you are capable of. What some people do with it is, of course.

This also isn't emulating "current" hardware as Wii U is end of life now.

MUnited83

For you.

Not to mention the mistakes they make like saying that "only the opening cave" was accessible.

You could access the whole Grand Plateau from the beginning, and if you had saves brought from the Wii U you could get much further too.
"Fan project"

Really ? The Cemu ppl are Nintentdo fans now ? :)
You have to be a pretty big fan to dedicate several years of your life into learning how to simulate a console you like , studying it into the most minute details and make it run on a completely different architecture and OS. They're much bigger fans than most people.

Yup, very good progress. If they can just improve the framerate a bit I'm jumping in around summer time when the current tsunami of games calms down.

lol yeah Nintendo fans that don't want to play on the Nintendo hardware

I mean, legally that isn't really possible as you'd have to own the hardware (and rip the game) to play it.

That big increase to 22k/mo they're getting - for a closed source program - is concerning in that regard.

Why are they "preserving" a brand new game? Promoting piracy it seems. Really don't understand how it's legal to emulate games still being sold.

Twiforce

lol yeah Nintendo fans that don't want to play on the Nintendo hardware

Crazy concept: You can be a fan of a work of art without being a fan (loyalist) towards the corporate entity that employs the people who made that art, or any other products made by said corporation.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
soon_19.jpg

Baleoce

This PC build is being worked upon by the team behind CEMU

I usually like Toms work, but this article is.. really awful.

Why are they "preserving" a brand new game? Promoting piracy it seems. Really don't understand how it's legal to emulate games still being sold.

It is legal to back up your own content. Nothing more, nothing less.

Marmelade

Watching the 1.7.4 update video is there still something left for them to fix (performance aside of course)?
I must say I didn't expect them to make that much progress that fast, really impressive

MUnited83

For you.
Stupid posts like this are bannable.
Emulating games is and should always be legal as long as you own the game. Doesn't matter how long it has been released for.
The only thing it is promoting is being able to play the game at its best possible form.
Watching the 1.7.4 update video is there still something left for them to fix (performance aside of course)?
I must say I didn't expect them to make that much progress that fast, really impressive
Pre-rendered cutscenes still do not play properly afaik.

I'm not trying to sound incredulous here, but can I ask why you think it's iffy? Honestly, I think there's basically two reasons why one might think that emulation is ethically dubious:

1.) It denies the company money from sales of the hardware
2.) It facilitates playing pirated software

In terms of the first, the broad argument I would tend to make is that -- typically -- the real money is in software and licensing more than it's in hardware. So it's not usually terribly convincing to me to assume that the company is missing out on major revenue if you bypass buying the hardware so long as you end up buying software and accessories. This is doubly true given that this is legacy hardware anyway that is not readily available at retail.

In terms of the second, I understand the concern to some extent. However, my understanding of the situation is that the Wii U is already cracked open, right? I'm admittedly not very up on the Wii U's homebrew situation or how easy it is to play backups/pirated software on it, but last I heard I thought it was fairly trivial at this point. If so, I don't think an emulator presents any sort of moral dilemma as piracy is an option with or without its existence.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm not trying to sound incredulous here, but can I ask why you think it's iffy? Honestly, I think there's basically two reasons why one might think that emulation is ethically dubious:

1.) It denies the company money from sales of the hardware
2.) It facilitates playing pirated software

In terms of the first, the broad argument I would tend to make is that -- typically -- the real money is in software and licensing more than it's in hardware. So it's not usually terribly convincing to me to assume that the company is missing out on major revenue if you bypass buying the hardware so long as you end up buying software and accessories. This is doubly true given that this is legacy hardware anyway that is not readily available at retail.

In terms of the second, I understand the concern to some extent. However, my understanding of the situation is that the Wii U is already cracked open, right? I'm admittedly not very up on the Wii U's homebrew situation or how easy it is to play backups/pirated software on it, but last I heard I thought it was fairly trivial at this point. If so, I don't think an emulator presents any sort of moral dilemma as piracy is an option with or without its existence.
Yep. Pirating on the Wii U is so easy that you can just get games directly from Nintendo's own servers.

Durante

I mean, legally that isn't really possible as you'd have to own the hardware (and rip the game) to play it.
Erm, how does that make it impossible?

I mean, I'm someone who owns the hardware in question (Wii U) and would much rather play on that other hardware I own (my PC) which is literally 50 times faster.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, pretty much. If you want to easily run pirated WiiU games, buy a WiiU.

NSESN

If it was fan port Nintendo would be shutting it down asap. Really confused by some Eurogamer articles lately.

I'm a big fan of emulation, but a closed-source project raking in 22k/month on the back of a brand new game really rubs me the wrong game.
Paid for emulators are nothing new. Examples include super maicom (a very early SNES emulator with the same name as a backup device not confusion at all), no$GB (though part of me feels this is the dev being a bit fed up having to answer Pokemon related questions) though certainly it is much harder to find exactly how much was paid for those the information is much more spread and open now as is payment methods. Think about what methods you had to pay people online in the mid-late 90s which is where my examples originate from...

If that was the video in the Eurogamer article the lighting/effect on the shrink monk's shield didn't feel correct to me.

correojon

There's literally nothing illegal or immoral about emulating any hardware that you are capable of. What some people do with it is, of course.

This also isn't emulating "current" hardware as Wii U is end of life now.

BotW released for WiiU less than 3 weeks ago and you can easily get a brand new one, it´s not a console which has long died. In this case morality is a topic up for debate, the creators have clearly seized the opportunity of emulating the latest and hotest game to gain notority and immensely increase their profits. The preservation argument is also easily disputable as the same game is currently out in a just released system and the only difference between both versions is that the Switch runs it better, so it´s not we´ll be missing anything if the WiiU version wasn´t emulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom