• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: COD: Advanced Warfare's campaign runs more smoothly on XB1 than on PS4

Incorrect. Let me ask you this. Would you rather have a fluctuating framerate or would you rather the PS4 version also employ a dynamic resolution that would mostly stay at 1080p because of the 50% more spec power but will drop as needed to maintain a rock solid 60fps?

Not sure why the dynamic resolution wasn't employed in the PS4 version. It would have been 1080p far more often than the XBO version and wouldn't have suffered from framerate dips.

Dynamic resolution > framerate dips

Ok, I would wait for the full break down before we start acting like this game has a consistant fluctuating framerate. They say it happens in a couple of intense scenes and don't even hint at the Xbox One is rock solid at all...

And you completely leave out the fact that both appear to be solid in multiplayer, with one running at native 1080p and the other never hitting 1080p at all. It's COD, multiplayer is going to have much longer legs than single player and how the game runs in multiplayer is paramount to anything else....

Morph-0

If the X1 version can maintain 60fps at 1080p some of the time, then 'technically' PS4 can do far more at these times too, given that its GPU is about 40% faster.

Dynamic frame buffers sound like a lot of extra work for reaching 1080p for only 10% of the time.

I'm afraid the PS4 is still getting a raw deal and is most likely not really being taken full advantage of, as some developers appear to be spending a lot more time focusing on the Xbox One's shortcomings.

Something tells me this engine could potentially have been much more if it wasn't for the Xbox One bottleneck.

Lets see...

XBO

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4

-almost constant 60 fps (locked 60 in MP according to preliminary reports)
-full 1080p
-no black crush
-no screen tearing

3/4

XBO wins?, nope... not really.

With respect,

you don't need to copy and paste the same post 3 times in 2.5 hours. It's neither particularly informative, nor valuable enough that it bore repeating. Once was really enough. I can see you're proud of your rather elementary analysis, but pls. No mas.

It's humorous that anyone would conclude the Xbox version is superior while having a dynamic resolution and adaptive vysnc. The stuttering and variances of that alone must be off putting. Also, I personally have zero intention of playing anything but MP (as per norm with COD). My 3 hour session on PS4 saw the game run perfectly and was exceptionally detailed and clear in 1080p.

My heart goes out to this person.

Indeed. Truth be told, both of those consoles have had a pretty mediocre selection of games this year. Mostly because both Titanfall and Destiny really failed to meet expectations. CoD is setting the bar high for November, though, and Halo, Smash, Unity and a few others might fix things.

Still, the best gaming this year has by far been on PC and WiiU. I can't imagine only having had a PS4 or XOne to game on all year until now.

It's humorous that anyone would infer the Xbox version is better while having a dynamic resolution and adaptive vysnc. The stuttering and variances of that alone must be off putting. Also, I personally have zero intention of playing anything but MP (as per norm with COD). My 3 hour session on PS4 saw the game run perfectly and was exceptionally detailed and clear in 1080p.

None of the people I know that bought the XOne version have any complaints at all. I suppose if you spend all your time looking for the flaws you'll eventually see them. Then again if you're doing that you're sort of missing the forest for the trees. If that's what you enjoy doing to sort of make yourself feel better, by all means. I think the rational will just play video games and keep their perspective.

Derpcrawler

Lets see...

XBO

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4

-full 1080p
-no black crush
-no screen tearing

3/4

Is it me, or am I seeing this exact post like 4th time from you? At least try to hide your agenda.

I'd be interested to know what bottlenecks the COD people are running into on PS4.

We have seen plenty of examples of PS4 versions that run at full 1080 and had a FPS advantage over the XB1. COD has been a real outlier here.

Like I guess I can see the COD teams being in the small number of studios MS will send its crack team of engineers in to help.

Maybe it a weird example of the CPU and GPU differences between the systems. The CPU on both is maxed with the XB1 having a slight FPS advantage as a result of the games being weirdly CPU heavy but the PS4 GPU has the extra oomph to get to 1080 without a sweat.

So like what people think is going on with AC Unity but if Ubi bothered to use the rest of the PS4's left over GPU power

rokkerkory

Lets see...

XBO

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4

-full 1080p
-no black crush
-no screen tearing

3/4

You seem really vested in this to quote yourself a few times.

It's okay man, it's just videogames and both versions are pretty good.

A lot of people in this thread:

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

It's just games.

With respect,

you don't need to copy and paste the same post 3 times in 2.5 hours. It's neither particularly informative, nor valuable enough that it bore repeating. Once was really enough. I can see you're proud of your rather elementary analysis, but pls. No mas.

He said that XBO won, but it clearly did not, hence i thought he had missed my rather elementary (yet still truthful) analysis... since, you know not all people read each and every page and my post was on the previous one but... did i touch a raw nerve or something?

None of the people I know that bought the XOne version have any complaints at all. I suppose if you spend all your time looking for the flaws you'll eventually see them. Then again if you're doing that you're sort of missing the forest for the trees. If that's what you enjoy doing to sort of make yourself feel better, by all means. I think the rational will just play video games and keep their perspective.
Simmer down. My post was my two cents on what constitutes a 'superior version', and also my experience with the PS4 version of COD AW in multiplayer.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Indeed. Truth be told, both of those consoles have had a pretty mediocre selection of games this year. Mostly because both Titanfall and Destiny really failed to meet expectations. CoD is setting the bar high for November, though, and Halo, Smash, Unity and a few others might fix things.

Still, the best gaming this year has by far been on PC and WiiU. I can't imagine only having had a PS4 or XOne to game on all year until now.

It's been great, but thanks for asking.

GodofWine

They seem to have the edge with framerate in the single-player portion of the game, but the multiplayer sees the PS4 at a total advantage technically.

How come we don't have a "Cod AW MP runs better on ps4" thread? If it it's news worthy to point out a very specific advantage of xb1 on the campaign, surely it's even more important to point out advantages on the multiplayer, since that's where the vast number of hours are.

Granted, the headline on the campaign could have also been that it runs at a lower resolution on xb1.

Been playing with the Xbone and ps4 versions online...The PS4s framerate definitely goes to shit when the Vulcan cannons start firing....The light show also slows things down....happened a few times now and I didn't notice it on the xbone

System hack also caused stuttering on the ps4

As for the Xbone. ...there's some weird shit going on with the net code or the hit boxes are fucked as there have been occasions where I unload a whole clip at close range and don't hit shit

The ping charts on the score board are also way off....have not noticed it on the ps4

Juicylamp

Banned
Been playing with the Xbone and ps4 versions online...The PS4s framerate definitely goes to shit when the Vulcan cannons start firing....The light show also slows things down....happened a few times now and I didn't notice it on the xbone

System hack also caused stuttering on the ps4

As for the Xbone. ...there's some weird shit going on with the net code or the hit boxes are fucked as there have been occasions where I unload a whole clip at close range and don't hit shit

The ping charts on the score board are also way off....have not noticed it on the ps4

Whoa, so it's graphics stability vs network stability? You pick the least irritating one then?

Morph-0

How come we don't have a "Cod AW MP runs better on ps4" thread? If it it's news worthy to point out a very specific advantage of xb1 on the campaign, surely it's even more important to point out advantages on the multiplayer, since that's where the vast number of hours are.

Granted, the headline on the campaign could have also been that it runs at a lower resolution on xb1.

Could be a Microsoft or Microsoft fanboy smear campaign. I guess drama sells but I have noticed a recent influx of unnecessary and negative PS4 thread headlines.

janoDX

Played day Zero from 12am EST to 11pm EST, except 5 hours where I slept. And let me tell you I have yet to see frame drops on the PS4 version of CoD AW MP.

Whoa, so it's graphics stability vs network stability? You pick the least irritating one then?

Don't know...I didn't notice network issues on ps4...it may be the same but after a good 10 hours on both versions u see some differences

Ps4 does look sharper at times...stuff like windows on cars an buildings look washed out on the bone

Overall the games not really a step up graphically from what we have seen before

Chobel

I'm not taking it personally. I just don't see the point of arguing over such a trivial statement. I'm all for debates and discussion. In fact, I'm probably more up for it for than a lot of users on this board. Just look at some of my post history if you believe otherwise.

It's just that neither of us can "prove" what we're saying as the scenario will not happen so I find wasting time on the matter to be pointless as it will lead nowhere. I also don't see why you chose to quote that post as if I said something egregious and there weren't tons of posts surrounding mine that specifically talked about the multiplayer.

If you're offended by my wording or that idea, then I apologize, but that is just the way I feel on the situation.

My intention was never to make you or your ideas sound bad, it's just I just wanted to challenge your argument, because I believed your hypothetical scenario of the backslash and parity conspiracy theories going through the roof wasn't going to happen. And why I kept bringing MP, well because there is no parity in MP, so that part alone should put all parity talk to bed.

And I know you're all for debates and discussions, however it seemed to me this time that your last comments in this thread are a bit aggressive towards me, something I didn't see in your previous comments before. It could be just me reading into stuff that doesn't exist, if so then my bad and I apologize for that.

Anyway I get and respect what you're saying so I'm going to stop commenting in this matter.

If it drops a couple frames during intense combat, fine by mine. The one thing I can't stand is when it drops fps out of nothing like COD Ghosts did on PS4.

prag16

Banned
Lets see...

XBO

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4

-full 1080p
-no black crush
-no screen tearing

3/4

If xbone has screen tearing and PS4 does not, that's almost an automatic PS4 win in my book.

He said that XBO won, but it clearly did not, hence i thought he had missed my rather elementary (yet still truthful) analysis... since, you know not all people read each and every page and my post was on the previous one but... did i touch a raw nerve or something?

There's just no need to constantly repeat yourself. It's annoying.

You think the PS4 version is better. We get it.

coastel

Not really tried SP but did have a issue in MP where the game would just freeze for a second or two on a certain map maybe both issue's can be patched.

onanie

Lets see...

XBO

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4

-full 1080p
-no black crush
-no screen tearing

3/4

Suddenly SP is more important now.

I only played the first mission on PS4, but I noticed some pretty big dips. There were a couple seconds when it literally went down to the teens, but that was an anomaly. MP has been perfect, but I've noticed some fluctuation in the campaign. Luckily, the campaign is when I don't really mind too much

I think people were plenty informed before you arrived on the scene. You should respect a person's right to choose, and not bombard us with your personal agenda.

I won't derrail the thread with our discussion, but i have no hidden agenda, hell i own neither, i'm just stating facts but if that is considered having an agenda, then so be it. Now don't reply back, let's not derrail the thread.

Well, the PS4 having the advantage in all aspects due to the superior hardware is the rule, so when we get a case like this where there's an apparent exception in one area, it becomes newsworthy. It's expected for the PS4 to run the game at an advantage and the multiplayer analysis is in the DF article, which has a proper thread.

My guess is they spent the majority of their crunch time getting the Xbone version up to snuff and will fix some of these framerate problems on the PS4 in subsequent patches.

Juicylamp

Banned
Well, the PS4 having the advantage in all aspects due to the superior hardware is the rule, so when we get a case like this where there's an apparent exception in one area, it becomes newsworthy. It's expected for the PS4 to run the game at an advantage and the multiplayer analysis is in the DF article, which has a proper thread.

My guess is they spent the majority of their crunch time getting the Xbone version up to snuff and will fix some of these framerate problems on the PS4 in subsequent patches.

I also thought they would fix the random stutters in Ghosts on PS4, but that never happened.

Think the hardware being superior is leading to less optimization on the PS4 and more on the X1, I don't think the studios prioritize PS4 because "meh, it's going to run good without much issues", then proceed to pretty much just leave it because it's "good enough". I got the feeling that was going to start being the trend and sold my PS4 for an Xbone.

The PS4 shouldn't be doing 1080p because the effort to put in optimization and cutbacks to maintain 60fps isn't there at all, and I understand why, its kind of pointless and a waste of money, but graphical performance hickups drives me personally, insane, hence I'm going for hardware where devs are forced to optimize.

This dynamic scaling should be in all games TBH... would solve a lot of problems on XBox and PS4. It actually is pretty nifty tech.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I played for about 3 hours on PS4 tonight and aside from issues in the first mission and in a scripted sequence with lots of destruction a ways in, performance has held up really well. Far smoother than any of the CoD campaigns on consoles last gen. I'm incredibly pleased with this game from a technical level. 1080p, 60fps, great character models, and excellent use of post process effects makes this quite possibly the best looking game I've played so far this gen.

I played for about 3 hours on PS4 tonight and aside from issues in the first mission and in a scripted sequence with lots of destruction a ways in, performance has held up really well. Far smoother than any of the CoD campaigns on consoles last gen. I'm incredibly pleased with this game from a technical level. 1080p, 60fps, great character models, and excellent use of post process effects makes this quite possibly the best looking game I've played so far this gen.

Good to hear!!!

I also thought they would fix the random stutters in Ghosts on PS4, but that never happened.

Think the hardware being superior is leading to less optimization on the PS4 and more on the X1, I don't think the studios prioritize PS4 because "meh, it's going to run good without much issues", then proceed to pretty much just leave it because it's "good enough". I got the feeling that was going to start being the trend and sold my PS4 for an Xbone.

The PS4 shouldn't be doing 1080p because the effort to put in optimization and cutbacks to maintain 60fps isn't there at all, and I understand why, its kind of pointless and a waste of money, but graphical performance hickups drives me personally, insane, hence I'm going for hardware where devs are forced to optimize.
Hahahahahahaha.

Piggus

Seriously, a drop to 55 fps, WHO can see it ? I can easily see the difference between 30 and 60, but from 55 and 60, come on.

Seriously. I'll take an insignificant, unnoticeable drop in framerate over resolution that degrades as action picks up.

Top Bottom