• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer confirms Bandai Namco is working on Metroid Prime 4

VertigoOA

Banned
I think this is bad news in general.

For starters I have zero faith that any developer outside of North America and Europe can actually develop a competent first person game.

Secondly, it may potentially not be a first person game at all thus there's no need for it to be a game in the prime series.

Thirdly, I doubt there's many teams out there that can rival the art direction of Retro for the original Prime trilogy.

And lastly, why the hell would Nintendo screw over Retro studios like this? It's their baby. Any market failure with the Metroid series has never been the result of the quality of the games. Nintendo never properly marketed any of these games or many IPs outside of Mario, smash, Kart and Pokémon and arguably those games don't need such huge marketing campaigns to begin with.

I sold my switch shortly after Mario Odyssey because honestly that game didn't deliver as a 64 sequel like I expected and told myself I'd buy it again when Metroid drops since it's arguably my favorite game series ever but this rumor possibly being true is kinda upsetting. I'm expecting this to be an outsourced turd right now.

Livia

For starters I have zero faith that any developer outside of North America and Europe can actually develop a competent first person game.

Secondly, it may potentially not be a first person game at all thus there's no need for it to be a game in the prime series.

Thirdly, I doubt there's many teams out there that can rival the art direction of Retro for the original Prime trilogy.

And lastly, why the hell would Nintendo screw over Retro studios like this? It's their baby. Any market failure with the Metroid series has never been the result of the quality of the games. Nintendo never properly marketed any of these games or many IPs outside of Mario, smash, Kart and Pokémon and arguably those games don't need such huge marketing campaigns to begin with.

I sold my switch shortly after Mario Odyssey because honestly that game didn't deliver as a 64 sequel like I expected and told myself I'd buy it again when Metroid drops since it's arguably my favorite game series ever but this rumor possibly being true is kinda upsetting. I'm expecting this to be an outsourced turd right now.

What..? We haven't even seen any gameplay of this game yet. How can you just assume that this is gonna be a turd at this moment? Just wait until E3 before you judge. And big mistake on your part for selling your Switch. Its on its way to become one of Nintendos best console..

KevinKeene

Banned

RetroStudios really haven't masters of 3d-art. Samus looks terrible in all 3 Primes. The environment is clever in function, but visually it's just making use of what's there in terms of hardware power.

Art direction ist the one thing Bandai Namco should get super right. Japanese games in general have a strong art direction. I can only think of a handful of western games with good-looking characters.

TannerDemoz

Why do you start talking about market failures with the Metroid series as if they've ditched Retro because of that. Do you know how video games work? They'll have retro studios working on other projects. You sound like you've been a Nintendo fan for a while, so you'll know how protective of their ip they are and that they'd never let a studio handle one of their biggest franchises if they weren't 100% certain they'd deliver. Do you really think Nintendo would be happy with an 'outsourced turd' being released on the Switch with their name attached to it? Come on, man.

VertigoOA

Banned
Really? Because Star Fox Assault didn't happen apparently... or other m. Or let's not forget about the abomination known as federation force.

I don't expect them to handle the IP accordingly at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom