• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

nib95

Banned
no d-pad? Needs a futuristic update?

6eFkhVo.jpg

Looks cool, but low on functionality.

I like the thought that went into this one:

HlevNSB.jpg

Actually really like the bottom one. But why on earth do we need this hot cold thing lol. Waste of battery.

vgamer1

So far, most of the mockups in here are ridiculous, not something we'd ever see. In all honesty I think the basic controller wil just be a 360ified dualshock, possibly with interchangable stick/button arrangements.

Takuya

Banned
They just need to keep the EXACT same form-factor of the DS3, add a touchpad in the read where the "FCC/copyright" stuff is, and fix the triggers. Maybe add sensors to the handles.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They just need to keep the EXACT same form-factor of the DS3, add a touchpad in the read where the "FCC/copyright" stuff is, and fix the triggers. Maybe add sensors to the handles.

Yup, i'm holding a DS3 right now, and a rear touch panel would work flawlessly with my middle fingers.
I could see it being really useful scrolling through a list of items or menus. Actual in-game applications though? Not really.

this is my worst nightmare! honestly I would be fine if they kept the original DS design, with some additions to modernize it so long as they don't change the form factor. maybe make it 10% or so bigger as some others have suggested, then ok I could accept that. but with all this talk of a controller with a screen embedded in it, well I don't see how they could accomplish that unless they go with a design similar to the abomination above. yeah they could just make the screen really tiny, but that would remove most of its functionality other than maybe just displaying a life bar percentage, and it would certainly preclude any touch functionality, let alone multitouch.

I'm presumptively excluding the PS Vita branding (I don't see that happening, PS4 and PS Vita are 2 different products and combining them would just mean less money Sony could make off of you) I just couldn't imagine playing GT or GoW with that thing and having a good time. I personally liked the concepts that featured a DS style controller that could split in two.

controller_zps828b7c73.jpg

just remove the two balls from the top and replace them with some bright LEDs with decent optics so they don't blind when you look at them/point them at someone.

HlevNSB.jpg

well this one is interesting, besides proving my point about how a tiny multitouch screen is useless (what is the point of being multitouch? so you could use a pair of tweezers to do a pinch motion?) but the elements on the hand grips that heat/cool depending on what's happening in-game is kind of a good idea. I only say kind of because how would this technically be accomplished? heating wouldn't be a problem, although to cool the only thing I can think of to do the trick would be to have two peltier elements in the grips. which as anyone familiar with the concept is well aware, you have one side (in this case the side which your fingers grip the handles) which gets cold and the opposite side gets hot. it's otherwise known as a heat pump.

know I'm not saying that it's impossible, and the idea is certainly very cool (no pun intended,) but it would require some tricky mechanisms inside the controller to get rid of the waste heat. you could run it at a very low power level, just enough so the heating/cooling effect would be registered by your finger tips (which luckily are highly sensitive anyway.)

ahh I'm starting to truly feel a new generation of consoles is almost upon us. the wait until December will be excruciating!

They need to ditch the DS form factor altogether. Sony needs to drag the people resisting controller changes, kicking and screaming if need be, towards a better future.

I really hope they make something unique, not something based on old controllers or the WiiU.

Top Bottom