• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Averon

Update:

Eurogamer said:
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Friday, 18 January 2013

Sony will drop the DualShock controller for the next PlayStation, according to a new report.

Sources told CVG Sony has tested new controllers with biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch-screen.

This information tallies with what Eurogamer has heard from our own sources. We understand that as of six months ago Sony was testing a controller that had an LCD touch-screen on the front and biometrics functionality on the back. These designs, we were told, have changed almost every month, but are for the controller for the next PlayStation.

Biometrics technology captures data from the player's body, such as temperature and heart rate. Half-Life developer Valve has been experimenting with the tech, trying to discover new game experiences that would benefit from it.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-18-sony-to-drop-dualshock-for-the-next-playstation-report

---

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/387287/cvg-sources-sony-to-abandon-dualshock-design-for-ps4/

CVG sources: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4

A senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game says the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation.

Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, the development source claimed.

A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.

Sony has declined to comment.

winstano

what-if-sony-stuck-with-the-ps3s-boomerang-controller-20081201033209544-000.jpg

?

SxP

Not really surprising. They tried to move away from the design with the PS3, so it's not like they're unwilling to change the design.

glaurung

Hot dang it, I just posted in the next gen controller thread.

This is... at the very least... interesting news.

Time to mix the melting pot!

kadotsu

Banned
As long as it still has dual analog and 12 digital inputs they can do whatever they want. I also would like a comeback of ergonomic design from both Sony and MS.

The rumor states that you're going to be able to use your PS3 controller if you want to because of Bluetooth. So Sony should shoot for the moon here. People are going to bitch no matter what they show and even they know that.

Ridley327

I'm totally cool with this, as long as they can implement the Vita's d-pad and put in triggers that don't make me wince in pain every time I have to use them for something important.

Take dual shock - increase size by 10% for western markets, put d-pad from vita and make triggers bigger and perfect controler will be born :)

Iacobellis

Did no one read the unveiling will be in a matter of weeks?

And shit, I love the DualShock. It's not fitted for FPS' like the 360 controller is, but like the article said, it's way too synonymous with PlayStation to just drop it.

nickcv

imho this is the most interesting part:
A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

Emulating the Vita is it... ;)
Exciting anyway. Dualshock has lasted a long time but its time to move on.

If there is a back touch I will take you all down.

This is only good news if it means they'll be copying the 360 pad's layout.
The 360's got a great controller design. The best aspect of it for me is the offset thumbstick arrangement, something I've debated as a reason for getting a third party controller for my PS3 so I can enjoy that layout there as well.

As comfy as the overall 360 design is, I think there's still some room for improvement when it comes to bumper buttons and overall feel. Wrt the former, the Razer Sabertooth has some really interesting ideas I hope Sony look at.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Don't you assholes fucking do it. Do not even consider it.

Top Bottom