• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Don't Expect Another Deus Ex Game Anytime Soon, EM Working on New TR/GotG

Raven117

Not overly surprising.

I don't really understand why it didn't do better than it did. Its a solid game (not great)...that if you liked that kind of FPS/RPG/Deus Ex thing, it would satisfy.

It makes a very weak first impression, the Dubai thing is okay, but when you get to Prague at night...it feels incredibly generic. Once you get into night Prague and things open up a bit more, is when the game starts to hit its stride, but I think for most folks, the impression was already made.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This sucks but I'm really excited to see what they do with the Marvel license.

And as we just got a new Deus Ex, I'm not feeling too heartbroken yet. I think we'll get another one in a few years.

mikeGFG

Banned
Fucking hell.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was such disappointment. I literally cannot believe they are doubling down on that franchise at the expense of Deus Ex.

opricnik

Banned
Already answered. New Avengers game. Plus EM is not working alone on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. CD is there too.

So

Deus ex Devs : Tomb Raider/GoTG
Crystal Dynamics : just Avengers?
interesting

waste of talents by deus ex team. Current Tomb Raider is utter trash.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fucking hell.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was such disappointment. I literally cannot believe they are doubling down on that franchise at the expense of Deus Ex.

I mean, it got good reviews and seems to have sold well. I'm not sure why you "literally cannot believe" they're doing a standard industry sequel two years later?

They fucked this up majorly. Not sure who is to blame for the mismanagement. Had Mankind Divided bothered with telling its own story instead of being yet another damn AAA game that is too worried about setting up it's sequel and had it released one or even two years earlier, it would've done so much better.

But I think the whole western part of SE has budget/devtime/story issues. I hope the Marvel plans will at least make them more focused.

Another kick in the balls as a buyer of an unfinished story is that the DLC does nothing to relieve this. God, can't they at least just release some graphic novel to wrap things up or something?

The sad thing is that I really think MD is a fantastic game despite it's shortcomings.

I can agree with your complaints/concerns. Not familiar with the Deus Ex series as a whole, but reading up on this, MD's notorious "augment your pre-order" DLC campaign, and the ROTR Xbox One timed exclusivity period, I think it really shows a strange lack of confidence on their part on how they perceive their games performing on their own merits (which makes their unrealistic sales expectations they set for these and other games all the more surprising). It's leaning into self-sabotage of their own products, and if they don't learn to cut the crap, I can definitely see it leaking into their Marvel projects.

Mankind Divided suffered from dehype post reveal when it looked to offer not much more than the previous game.

Human Revolution was good but there was a big gap between it and the original Deus Ex that many fans hoped to see closed in but the pre release coverage failed to show they were managing to accomplish this which I think left some people disappointed after so many years. The similar golden triangle obsessed art style and marketing didn't help differentiate it either.

You also had the failure of Thief as well as the preorder fiasco which all added up to dampened excitement. It's on my backlog and I'm still looking forward to my play through, just with tempered expectations.

It's sad, before this and Dishonored 2 flopping it looked like the immersive sim market was on its way up. If
when
Prey fails it will likely be the final nail in the coffin.

Ushay

Real shame, only consolation I have is Cyberpunk 2077 coming out. CDP to show us how this genre should really be done.

Arion

Makes little sense to me, the Tomb Raider sequel was terrible compared to MD; they didn't innovate on 2013's reboot at all and the setting/lore was nowhere near as interesting as the Japanese Island setting,

It sold much better than MD and that's what it comes down to really.

Nzyme32

Shame. I quite liked both games even though they didn't quite go in the direction or live up to the old OG Deus Ex that I still love so much. I suppose EM have plenty to be working on at least.

Harlequin

So

Deus ex Devs : Tomb Raider/GoTG
Crystal Dynamics : just Avengers?
interesting

waste of talents by deus ex team. Current Tomb Raider is utter trash.

Presumably, there are two TR games in development, the third reboot game (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) at Eidos Montreal (though maybe with oversight from Crystal) and the fourth reboot game (probably still in pre-production and with just a very small team working on it) at Crystal.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Haven't played MD - was it actually split into two games?

It feels like the final mission would have been the perfect mid game escalation point instead of the end. But it still wraps up all the side quest without too much fuss, it just dangles the key plot points out there with no resolution (and actually throws some curve balls at you during the credits).

Bergerac

Oh my God, fuck this.

I bought two copies (PC/PS4) that I'm very happy with. My GOTY last year, need more games like it. I don't want a reboot, I love the mechanical direction the current games have over the nanomachines of the first games.

Abelard

Fucking horrible news.

Both human Revolution and the OG are some of my favourite games of all timee. Even Mankind Divided was pretty good, this news has got me bent fuck- Deus Ex back on the shelf :(

This is seriously depressing.

At least 2077 will be amazing. Hopefully the title is not indicative of release date.

There's also a Villeneuve directed Blade Runner sequel to ease the pain.

dr_rus

I'm not even sad, unfortunately. DXMD was a shadow of what DX once was. The fact that they are making a game on a licensed property is bad though, I would very much prefer a new IP.

So the earliest we can expect the next DX is after SotTR will ship, disappoint and EM team behind it would be willing to go back to DX. That's 10 years or so. Kinda depressing.

GonzoCR

Disappointing to hear. Mankind Divided was underwhelming, but I'd still have something like it over Tomb Raider. Kinda interested in the Avengers game, though.

eXistor

Rise of the Tomb Raider was embarrassing in most ways except graphics. If they are rebooting it (doubt it) then I'm interested in a new TR, but if it's just gonna be more of the same toss again, I'm done with the series. Deus Ex on the other hand was great, I'm actually surprised to see GAF being kinda down on Mankind Divided (apt title I suppose). I thought it was a much more solid title than Human Revolution.

Well, that's a real kick in the teeth.

I haven't actually yet got round to finishing Mankind Divided, and now I really don't know if I'll bother. It wasn't as good as Human Revolution to be sure, but it was by no means bad IMO.

KodaRuss

I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on Saturday and I am not sure if I could have disliked the game anymore. It will take me a lot to buy another one of their TR games because they already need a reboot of the series again.

Roni

Gold Member
Jesus, that's sad. That game was a step in right direction for the series. Gameplay was much improved from Human Revolution and the story was going interesting places.

Abelard

This news makes me more angry the more I think about it. Can we get some publisher to take Deus Ex from Square's wretched tight grip? As the first post says, this franchise deserves better and I honestly cannot believe the shit show that was the development and release of this game- its a goddamn miracle it wasn't a total disaster.

I'd take anyone at this point- EA, Activation, heck even Microsoft or Sony or fucking Nintendo.

Blindy

Guess Eidos doesn't trust a new Legacy of Kain or Fear Effect game. Gex I might get given it's a platformer but I think the other 2 could have a place in today's world.

This news makes me more angry the more I think about it. Can we get some publisher to take Deus Ex from Square's wretched tight grip? As the first post says, this franchise deserves better and I honestly cannot believe the shit show that was the development and release of this game- its a goddamn miracle it wasn't a total disaster.

I'd take anyone at this point- EA, Activation, heck even Microsoft or Sony or fucking Nintendo.
lmao

Top Bottom