• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Expo - Battlefield 4 on Xbox One impressions

Skeff

You're really grasping, but whatever. You can assume the worst if you want.

I won't assume anything because I really don't give a shit, but if people are jumping on someone from picking out the bad ones, then it should be said that the impressions were split pretty evenly between good bad and crashes. The poster wasn't picking out the lone bad impression against 9 god impressions, it's a mixed bag.

I gave two definite bads: I consider a game looking like BF3 to be a bad thing when moving to next gen hardware and the other started with poor, Out of the other 4 impressions I posted depending on your viewpoint I could see that being anywhere between 1-4 more bad impressions, the most obvious would be the not that bad.

Seanspeed

Banned
I won't assume anything because I really don't give a shit, but if people are jumping on someone from picking out the bad ones, then it should be said that the impressions were split pretty evenly between good bad and crashes. The poster wasn't picking out the lone bad impression against 9 god impressions, it's a mixed bag.

I gave two definite bads: I consider a game looking like BF3 to be a bad thing when moving to next gen hardware and the other started with poor, Out of the other 4 impressions I posted depending on your viewpoint I could see that being anywhere between 1-4 more bad impressions, the most obvious would be the not that bad.
The poster definitely cherry-picked.

And I'm pretty sure plenty of people were saying 'it looks like BF3' about the PC version, too. Its a comment on the general 'same-ish' looks of the sequel, most likely. I wont for a second entertain the idea that it looks the same as current-gen BF3 from a graphics-fidelity standpoint. That'd be ridiculous.

The person talking about it being clunky is the same person who also said it looks good. I'm thinking that's a take on the feeling of the controls, not the graphics.

Only one specific criticism about the graphics.

But yea, like you say, its a mixed bag. Which is why it makes more sense to wait and see for ourselves instead of just trying to randomly figure out which person's impressions to believe.

srd4484

Banned
Ill wait for a final version to be shown before I make my decision on keeping this game or cancelling it. If both ps4 and xb1 versions look like this then It must just be an Alpha version. Takes too much time to keep making demos.

Blizzje

How can a person tell if its 720p? Are they counting the pixels?
Also, didn't DICE confirm that the game is running in a higher res than 720p in the dev environment and final resolution is not yet decided?

you right. just because someone else was impressed, doesn't mean it's impressive to you. their 'good' impression can be seen as a bad one by you or someone else.

King_Moc

Banned
How can a person tell if its 720p? Are they counting the pixels?
Also, didn't DICE confirm that the game is running in a higher res than 720p in the dev environment and final resolution is not yet decided?

There's three times the detail in a 1080p image. You don't need to count pixels to see that. And, assuming they're using 1080p screens, you'll see the jaggies a mile off.

edit: Should have added, it could still be somewhere inbetween, like 900p.

Majanew

Banned
Would like to see some direct feed of the Xbox One and PS4 versions. I'm most likey picking up the PS4 version for two reason: likely to look better and; will be out a week before the XB1 version.

If the PS4 version doesn't look/run better, then DICE should hurry up and get some footage of both next-gen versions out there so I can make my mind up. :p

Stoffinator

It's kind of scary that Dice has not shown any 64 players on the console version yet or even some direct footage. I was asked on Twitter by who ever runs their Battlefield Twitter account what if I had pre ordered yet.

I said "no, waiting for some direct footage of the PS4 version" and they ignored it (expected) and wanted me to know what I thought of it when I got it. Be nice to see actual footage. It's worry some not seeing any console footage this late in the game.

Wasif064

Neo Member
I was definitely impressed considering that I went in with low expectations after IGNs poor preview of it. It ran as smooth as butter and the textures seemed solid. They could have sold it to me on the spot that's how finished it looked.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/12221-b...gamer-expo-smooth-and-looks-pretty-swish.html

I made a montage too:
untitled45snu.png

Will add more when available.

edit:
for comparison - BF4 on PS4 offscreen TGS footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTHvYj_4vA

Dat anticipation for COD! Dude said he's waiting like 500 years in line to play. Sounds like it's still going to sell well.

Nightfallfilms

Neo Member
I was definitely impressed considering that I went in with low expectations after IGNs poor preview of it. It ran as smooth as butter and the textures seemed solid. They could have sold it to me on the spot that's how finished it looked.

So did it look a lot better than BF3 on 360 or just a little better?

Wasif064

Neo Member
bro comparing it to the 360 version is an insult. It's definitely in the same league as PC. at the distance most people sit from their TV's I doubt there would be much to compare between PC and Next Gen Battlefield unless you really scrutinize it imho

Nightfallfilms

Neo Member
bro comparing it to the 360 version is an insult. It's definitely in the same league as PC. at the distance most people sit from their TV's I doubt there would be much to compare between PC and Next Gen Battlefield unless you really scrutinize it imho

Cool, good to know!

Amazing! Thanks!

B_Boss

Is it me or are others starting to think that the lack of direct feed recording of nextgen console footage is not a coincidence lol...?

B_Boss

Now to the video on this page. Before with the impressions I posted. People asked for PS4 footage.

Are some people going to honestly try to make some scientific comparison (maybe fanboy-comparison is more correct) using off-screen recordings of the two ports lol?

skdoo

Banned
I'm not seeing what is impressive here... I think BF4 looks like crap on both consoles from what we've seen so far.

BF4 is a PC game. For what that game is doing the quality that it is at now is good enough. Console players will get 64 players, huge maps, and the run game will run 60fps at above 720p and destruction on top of that. There are no games on either console that's pushing that much juice like BF4 is, want better quality then get a PC for that but that's not to say the console versions won't look nice, they will.

Wrong. Bf4 is first and foremost a console game.

BF1942 was a PC game

Nope. Regardless of how water down BF4 might be its home is still on the PC. I realized that when I first played BF3 on the PC with KB/M. Look at how people who give impressions of BF4 say it has a PC like experience, yea BF4 is a PC game.

VariantX

I'm saying I don't care how it looks; 60fps and 64 players are far more important as far as I'm concerned.

As much as I enjoy the visual advantages my PC version has over my console version of BF3, id have to agree. I can compromise on looks, don't want to compromise on player count and framerate. Have not touched my 360 copy of BF3 for almost a year after experiencing 64 players and full map sizes on PC versus 24 players and small maps on 360/PS3.

It actually doesn't look that bad, what small parts can actually be seen anyway. But then it's probably also a really early build, which is why they didn't want anybody filming, but I'm glad we got footage anyway. I somehow greatly doubt there will be no shadows when it's finished, so I'm not too worried about that. To be honest, there was too little there to even get a good look at the game for long enough. Looked nice and smooth though, which I think at least needs to be a must for major xbox one multi-platforms this gen.

Whether the resolution is running at shouldn't be relevant since it's just a build but the final product under no circumstance should be 720p. Any launch game at that resolution is a joke. It's the equivalent of a ps360 game running at 480p.

is it me or us there something off about playing with the xbox one controller. holding it seems fine but the triggers and bumpers are just simply uncomfortable to press or reach.

I almost cant tell where I press the trigger either from the top or the bottom and I slmost have to stretch my fingers for the bumpers.

Am I alone in this?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
is it me or us there something off about playing with the xbox one controller. holding it seems fine but the triggers and bumpers are just simply uncomfortable to press or reach.

I almost cant tell where I press the trigger either from the top or the bottom and I slmost have to stretch my fingers for the bumpers.

Am I alone in this?

It felt like an improved 360 pad to me. No downsides.

Top Bottom